Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
continuous bloat??
      #210570 - 09/01/05 09:23 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hi friends--
so ive been watching something for awhile now. it bothers me personally, but not enough for me to do anything. i keep thinking that its temporary but ive noticed it for too long to keep wondering w/out acting. everyday my stomach is *so* bloated. but it seems to be beyond IBS bloat--my acacia and psyllium keeps me going daily. i drink plenty of water and have been having 2-3 BMs a day [which is GOOD!] but my stomach is still bloated beyond belief!! ive gone up a size [making me a full 3, but 5s are comfy] and there seems to be no signs of reducing tummy size anytime soon. i just dont understand b/c most days i go 12+ hours before i eat! if any of you peek at my food posts...i dont overeat anymore at meals. if i havent eaten for awhile, i dont eat a TON and stuff myself. im just baffled and dont know what to do. i guess im worried theres something else wrong that im not paying attention to. any suggestions other then yoga/pilates?? i walk alot, situps..light exercise wishing i did more now since i feel so big. this problem has been causing other problems as i have become to feel very self conscious about it. i know i post alot about feeling uncomfortable with my body but it means alot to me that my posts get read and replies. thanks guys *HUGS*

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: continuous bloat?? new
      #210581 - 09/02/05 05:07 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Ashley, could you be going too long without putting something in your tummy? (I'm a fine one to talk because I'm the same way!) That's one thought re: bloating. It's that 'famine' belly syndrome. I know...fasting is a hard habit to bust.

I know you consume alot of soy. This often causes gassiness/bloating in people.

I tried psyllium and I BLEW UP, inflated...we're talking bicycle tire bloating. Could this be a factor? I noticed, also, that you're eating some pretty coarse/bran-type cereals. This could be another factor.

Do you have asthma? Are you swallowing too much air? (I have a tendency to do that)

Perhaps some enzymes to help digest some of the challenging foods might be helpful? They work for me.

I'm combing my brain for ideas. I also know that you have body image issues. Truly...a comfy size 5 is the envy of alot of people.

Kate, IBS-D.

I had the same thought... new
      #210609 - 09/02/05 07:24 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...about the high fiber cereals being the culprit. You are eating them first thing in the morning on an empty tummy and snacking on them too without an SF beforehand.

Also, the soy could be a big factor too...and as Wind said, not eating enough and waiting too between meals and when you get up could also be a factor.

I have major body issues too, so my bloating is a big mind teaser for me. I have not been able to control my bloat either...even with not eating soy, high fiber cereals, or drinking fennel...

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

hmmm--- new
      #210767 - 09/03/05 07:19 AM
little bear

hi kate--

you make really good points with all those possibilities. ive never given some thought to those *maybe* problems. hmm the famine belly syndrome? hehe, i wouldnt say i fast, more like i sleep for a good long time, wake up and it just takes me a while before i have an appetite. but the thing i hate about finally eating, is feeling like ive gone so long without eating, so i dont really wanna start then by putting something in my tummy i usually sip water. i know thats terrible for the IBS..

i do use soy alot i would say. maybe about a half-cup for cereal, and then i think alot of other products i eat have soy in them, or traces of it. i dont really have gassiness feelings, in fact, i havent been having any typical "bad gas". just a huge preg-O looking belly!

i read about the psyllium causing problems for people who are asthmatic and took that into careful consideration before trying the product--but i havent really noticed a problem from that. this def. feels different then something asthma-related but i cant put my finger on it! and plus i take the psyllium at night to avoid day-bloat. im never really bloated in the AM unless i went to bed really late and ate really late too. but i have been on a semi-schedule and also sick so my appetite has been teedering.

it is possible that i could have been taking in too much air, i was coughing alot. its just this seems to have been going on longer though. there was a point when i started gaining weight, pulling me back up from my very small size. and i paid attention, but not really too closely until it started to bother me. and it started to bother me b/c i noticed a huge belly after every meal! the kind of belly that i thought looked 8 months preg maybe 3.5 years ago! its strange and i want to go to a DR to check up and calm my nerves but i hate being shuffled in and out just b/c my symptoms are hard to sympathize. i would LOVE to see a naturepath but theyre so expensive!!

thanks for combing your brain hehe. i guess a part of me is liking the new 5s, but i still need time to get used to it. or to get in shape. peace!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

really? new
      #210770 - 09/03/05 07:22 AM
little bear

i dont really like fennel tea. too strong--i kind of stopped eating the cereal in the AM b/c i ran out haha but i think even if i cut all those things out, id be in the same place as you, still with bloat. i hate it, it is a mind-teaser for me as well.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: really? new
      #210771 - 09/03/05 07:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd try cutting out the psyllium slowly and see if that helps. Remember that all triggers (inc. the harder SFSs) don;t have to take effect straight away to be causing mid-long term issues.

Plus you do need to eat more often...try and get into the habit of making yourself have a teeny bit of SF straight after you wake up. I know going w/out food is actually a big bloat trigger for me.

I was just coming back to add the same thought about the psyllium new
      #210783 - 09/03/05 08:15 AM
Augie

...but Linz beat me to it!

Ashley, some people get bloat from Acacia too...even though it helps many. I know Ginger said it bloated her up...and Dalia too. It may be a great SFS but just not for you. It could be the Acacia too.

I also agree...you don't eat enough girl! Or often enough! I've seen your reports on the fitness board. Aren't you losing weight like crazy??? Maybe it might help your thinking to eat more quantity and more often to remember that this will probably help the bloat and in the end, eating more often will put you ahead of the game because your tummy may be flatter. This is what is helping me to eat more often.

How about trying a more SF based cereal first thing in the morning? I know it's hard to give up the higher fiber cereals when you think they are helping you to go. I have actually started thinking about eating them Have you tried Puffins cereal? They are listed on the safe snack list. It contains 6 grams of fiber (pretty good amount) but the fiber grams are probably all from the corn which is SF. Puffins original and http://www.barbarasbakery.com/products/cerealproddisplay.asp?product=61&category=20

This cereal contains corn bran, but I know Jennifer Rose eats this cereal in the morning with no problems. This way you still are getting a good amount of fiber and more SF based.

--------------------
~ Beth

Linz!!!!!! new
      #210784 - 09/03/05 08:21 AM
Augie

I didn't realize that it could have a cumulative effect. I have also been taking it at night to contain the bloat to night time only. It has helped my BMs somewhat to take psyllium, but I still have bloat and major gas, especially after dinner.I know Kandee and Elizabeth take the psyllium at night to try to avoid bloat in the day.

If Ashley cuts down on the psyllium a little at a time, how do you think she can compensate for the fiber? I'm trying to get ideas for myself!

I have been having a little better BMs with the psyllium so I'm afraid to cut it out...but also tired of the gas and bloat. Can't tell if it's worse than before the psyllium.

Also, how do you start your day out with a little SF right away? Do you have a particular food that you rely on for the SF start to your day right when you wake up?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: hmmm--- new
      #210785 - 09/03/05 08:26 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Well, you seem to be reporting regular bm's due to psyllium as
SFS and diet. Perhaps--and this is a whacky and wild thought--after your bm's you have a huge air pocket (i.e. an empty void after the SFS unloads whatever you put into yourself), giving you that famine belly/pregnant balloon look.

I know with me, asthma is a factor. I do swallow air!

Like you, my favourite breakfast is WATER/fluid. I can't think of food until later in the day without nausea and vomitting (I take some pow-wow am meds.).

Keep exploring. Some enzymes, though, with those gassy soy and fibrous cereals might help break down the lignans and the cellulose/hemicellulose. They really really are effective for me.

Kate, IBS-D, AND ALMOST STABLE, too.

Little Bear??? new
      #210787 - 09/03/05 08:32 AM
Augie

...what are you doing/eating differently than you were in Croatia? You seemed to have been doing much better with your symptoms while you were away.

Have you changed anything?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review