All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For those who take Omega fish supplements
      #181988 - 05/30/05 09:47 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I am trying these now. I am taking 2 a day. I noticed they seem to help the constipation, but I have had worse cramps and nausea and pain with them. I also have increaded gas!

I've been on them about a week maybe??

While I love the increased BM ease, the pain is horrible. It is chronic and it feels like I am always on the verge of having to go, but I don't. The sort of cramps you get before you have a BM but I have this feeling all day, even though I don't go.

I am trying to reduce to one capsule a day to see if it helps the pain/gas without reducing the BMs.

Is this common in the beginning? Will the side effects go away if I stick with them? Have others had these initial side effects? I'm not sure if I should stop them, or if I should just keep taking them. I will, if the side effects are just temporary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For those who take Omega fish supplements new
      #182061 - 05/30/05 04:51 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I never experienced these side effects. I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems with this! Hang in there! I just know you will soon find a combination that works for you! Don't get discouraged! Hang in there!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Bamagirl new
      #182067 - 05/30/05 04:58 PM
Cyndy

Do you think I should stop them? Or do you think I should hang in there with them and hope the side effects go away? UGH! Why must I choose between constipation and worse pain and gas?

I am going to try taking only 1 capsule and see if that helps. I pray it does. I need something and had such high hopes for these omega pills. You'd think I'd learn to not get my hopes up about anything by now.

I feel so hopeless and tired of all this.

Re: For those who take Omega fish supplements new
      #182099 - 05/30/05 09:44 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I think that this is a pretty good sign that they're aggravating your IBS - I'm not 100% but I don't think that's a regular "body getting used to them" type side effect. Not sure on that though. I'd say stick it out for a few more days *if* you want to and then stop taking them, or just stop taking them all together. Helping you go is great but not if you're in excruciating pain because of it!

There are other omega 3 & 6 oil supplements though - maybe try another one other than fish oils? (i.e. I take evening primrose oil) Just a thought. HTH

I thought Omega oils were fish oils new
      #182122 - 05/31/05 07:39 AM
Cyndy

and only fish oils. Do you think maybe something like flax seed oil supplements would be a non fish omega source? I think maybe I should try this if my current 3-6-9 oil continues to bother me. It is hard to separate out what is exactly causing the pain since I am taking Zelnorm and Magnesium on top of the fish oils.

What do you take Primrose oil for? Does it help you IBS?

Re: Bamagirl new
      #182137 - 05/31/05 08:16 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

With all of the pain, if it has continued more than a week, I would drop the supplement. Your body must have an issue with the oil.

I would really make an effort to limit my supplements to one at a time until I knew how my body would react. Get the SFS solid first, then SLOWLY, one at a time. Too many too fast, and you will only worssen the situation. I hope this helps.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

There's only a little over 1 gram fat per tablet new
      #182160 - 05/31/05 08:49 AM
Cyndy

so I thought the fat content would be fairly safe. I don't handle fat well at all.

But maybe oil is separate issue than fat?

Re: I thought Omega oils were fish oils new
      #182204 - 05/31/05 11:27 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Cyndy

yeah there are Essential Fatty Acids (aka EFAs aka omega 3s, 6s etc.) in lots of different kinds of oils, including evening primrose oil, flax seed oil and others.

I take evening primrose both for the EFAs and it is also extremely helpful with regulating my periods - and in turn, my IBS is a little bit less horrid around that time of the month.

Note that I tend to take them with meals that are already very low in fat, so that I'm not overloading my digestive system with fat either on an empty stomach or after a meal that already has sufficient fat.

HTH

Re: I thought Omega oils were fish oils new
      #182276 - 05/31/05 02:27 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

there are a couple catches for ibs-ers re: omega oils:

they work best when taken with a meal that is high in fat. so, that's out for us. even in those w/out ibs, they very often cause what is known as 'fish burps.' the brand i have (Eskimo-3 by Tyler) is supposed to not cause these burps. that much seems true. i have it in both capsules and liquid. i've been encouraged to take them for perhaps (?) some added antidepressant help for my major depressive disorder - not for ibs.

i have heard some (even w/out ibs) say they have some laxative effect.

i have tried them several times, and each & every time - hard to describe - let's just say my entire GI tract feels unwell. (but no burps, tho! lol) i did not notice all that much of a laxative effect, if any. they are VERY good for the heart, so if you can tolerate, stick with. otherwise, i'd ditch 'em in a ny minute...and i did. i'm done with them!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Pulse new
      #182362 - 05/31/05 07:02 PM
Cyndy

I think I'm going to give them a little longer to see if I can handle them and only if they give me postive BM results.

If they hurt me more than help, I will try just plain flax as it may just be the "fish" part I can't handle. I read on another board where plain flax has better results for IBS than the Omega fish oil.

I think I'm like you. I think it is causing an overall yuck GI feeling, unfortunately. But I need to give it some time as I can go through periods of feeling overall yucky GI wise without the Omega supplements! I need to see if it is just a coincidence in timing.

Are you a C, BTW? Have you found anything to help your C?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2147

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review