All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Managing IBS-C without an SFS
      #169188 - 04/12/05 08:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Okay, most of you know I have severe IBS-C with gut wrenching pain, cramps, bloat, and horrid gas.

I don't seem to be able to handle any SFS so far. Perhaps because I have some delayed gastric emptying which is suppose to be made worse by SFS. I'm not sure if this is the reason.

Anyhow, for those who are IBS-C and cannot tolerate SFS, how do you safely manage the constipation? I cannot eat wheat, fruits with peels seems to be frowned upon.

So, besides taking laxatives, how do I manage this horrid, chronic pain when I cannot seem to take an SFS?

Are there any foods that are more helpful? I do get IF food in at every meal, but perhaps not enough??? What are your diets like? What do you guys and gals do? I'm desperate!
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Managing IBS-C without an SFS new
      #169194 - 04/12/05 08:41 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sweetheart, I'm not IBS-C although I was while pregnant. I don't know if this will help much because you already know what you're doing. Did you start your SFS at a pathetically low dose? Did you increase them VERY slowly? For example, with acacia, they said to start with 1/2 tsp. I started with 1/4 tsp and increased it by 1/4 tsp each week.
The other things you can do for constipation, as you know, are to make sure you're getting lots of SF. And try increasing your IF SAFELY (lots of cooked, peeled, mashed and pureed veggies and fruits) (I would do all of the above for a while till you're feeling better). Also, water and exercise will help. Tried fennel tea? Great for bloating and gas. I'm sure you've probably tried some of these suggestions, but bear with me, I'm just trying to help to see if there's something you've missed.
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#169215 - 04/12/05 09:15 AM
Augie

SF seems to make me more C. Really, I've tried.

I have done all your suggestions. Even the low dose of SFS first then gradual increase, but bloat, gas, cramps seemed to get worse and not much better with the C (or may have been my imagination???) Thanks for trying to help, Alicia. Your so nice to want to help!

--------------------
~ Beth

#169216 - 04/12/05 09:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Beth, have you tried the miralax? I'm not saying its going to be a cure all either but at least things will be moving!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Please help me-nt new
      #169507 - 04/13/05 08:26 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#169511 - 04/13/05 08:36 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Maybe you should try Miralax. That has been the one thing that has helped me. It's not always helpful, but when I take Miralax & watch my diet, I usually go to the bathroom around 5 days a week (sometimes every day). That has helped my abdominal pain so much. I hardly ever get cramping & pain.

When I feel like I'm getting C & uncomfortable, I'll take a little Zelnorm before bed. (I drink my Miralax in the morning before breakfast when I'm getting ready for work.) But I rarely take the Zelnorm.

Do you take an SFS with the Miralax?-nt new
      #169513 - 04/13/05 08:40 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

I did new
      #169515 - 04/13/05 08:43 AM
Augie

And I got scared as it made me cramp and I feared a life time of laxative usage. Perhaps it is time to give it an all out try, though.

I don't know how I would continue to pay for this on my own, and doesn't this med need to be taken every day for the rest of your life? This thought terrifies me now!

--------------------
~ Beth

#169516 - 04/13/05 08:45 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I never found relief without an SFS, but am learning that the IF factor is just as vital. If I don't eat raw veggies at every meal (tomatoes with breakfast, lettuce and cucumbers on my sandwich at lunch, apple for snack, salad with dinner) I am not moving squat! Water is also major important. I know you have heard it before, but if these things don't work, I'd get prescription help if I could. You can't just keep this up...relief has to come at some point so your system can stabilize. Many thoughts and prayers your way!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Are you talking about Miralax? new
      #169519 - 04/13/05 08:49 AM
Augie

I tried Zelnorm and it didn't work for me. The foods you listed I think would kill me! Especially the raw cucumber and salad! Do you eat your apples with the peel?

I wish, I wish I could handle an SFS!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 683 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54105

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review