Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Antibiotics - Help!!
      #165686 - 03/31/05 09:31 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Hi everyone -
I went to the doctor today and he precribed me 2 weeks worth of antibiotics - nothing related to IBS. Anyway, I am a nervous wreck to take them. I take a probiotic daily - should I increase the probiotic while I am on the antibiotic, or do I just keep taking the same amount? Any info is appreciated - I need to start the antis tonight.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antibiotics - Help!! new
      #165693 - 03/31/05 09:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I must admit, I don't know the answer for sure but it would seem logically to take a little more pro-biotic while on the anti-biotic. A lot of people do get some D, especially the first couple of days on an anti-biotic, so you may have to resort back to "what to eay when you can't eat anything" for a couple of days. Try not to take the anti-biotic on an empty tummy and that should help a little also.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I agree.. new
      #165703 - 03/31/05 10:19 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

It can't hurt to up the probiotic a little (or even a lot). You were so smart being on them BEFORE starting the antibiotic. I think it is next to criminal that doctors don't put people on a probiotic right along WITH and antibiotic. That or it should be on the warning label.
Kandee

--------------------

My Advice Received differed new
      #165714 - 03/31/05 10:51 AM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

According to both my regular physician as well physician on the AllExperts.com taking a probiotic at the same time as an antibiotic is longer considered the best advice.

Let the antibiotic first deal with the problem. If probiotics are taken over same period the antibiotic will mrely kill them off. According to them after a antbiotics are finished then take the probiotics to return the friendly bacteria in your gut.
This was also confirmed by a naturopath also on the AllExperts.com although admittedly local naturopath does not agree.

Re: My Advice Received differed new
      #165715 - 03/31/05 10:54 AM
MCV

Your point does make sense to me - now I really don't know what to do! Do I stop taking the pro while I take the anti? Do you think the pharmacist would be able to help? I'm a wreck about this!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Antibiotics - Help!! new
      #165723 - 03/31/05 11:17 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't know anything about probiotics, but I would suggest the following when taking antibiotics:

1. If permitted (see directions on antibiotics), drink a large amount of room temperature water (at least one large glass)when taking each dose. This will speed the antibiotic through your gut and minimize discomfort.

2. If permitted, eat some soluble fibre before and after taking each dose (French bread, mashed potatoe or white rice). This will help you tolerate the antibiotic better ... if food is allowed.

3. Make sure the antibiotic your doctor prescribes is NOT a sulpher-based antibiotic. If it is, get him/her to switch it to a non-sulpher-based one. Sulpher is a bad thing for IBS people.

Belinda

Re: My Advice Received differed new
      #165746 - 03/31/05 12:00 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Based on what ArtKen said, taking probiotics at the same time as antibiotics isn't wrong or unhealthy, it just might not do any good. So, if you're getting different advice, it sounds like you can err on the side of caution and take probiotics before, during, and after being on antibiotics just to cover all the bases. You might be wasting money if the antibiotics are really killing the probiotics, but better safe than sorry.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

What I always suggest is... new
      #165768 - 03/31/05 12:29 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...take the probiotic, but try to space the probtiotic and antibiotic as far out in the day as possible. So if you take the antibiotic in the evening take the probiotic in the morning, etc. It can't hurt and might help to keep your gut going until the course is finished. And definitely up your probiotic intake for a while after the course finished when the probiotics (and any prebiotics you take) can really do their work.

What my pharmacist said new
      #165885 - 03/31/05 03:42 PM
MCV

I talked to my pharmacist about this. He recommended not changing anything - continue with the probiotics as usual while taking the antibiotic. He suggested I take the anti with meals and avoid dairy for an hour before and an hour after taking. Since I do not consume dairy, this won't be a problem. He also said to expect my stomach to be in an uproar the next couple of weeks while taking the anti. Oh Joy!!

Thanks to all for your advise. I'm going to start off continuing the probiotic and see how it goes.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Example Of Reply Received By Naturopath On Probiotics new
      #165907 - 03/31/05 04:29 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

I had to go back some on e-mails but I generally keep answers from this site.

See the following re advice received from a naturopath in the States. AllExperts is a free site and there is no registration to go there.

Richard Morton, ND, DR, LMT Answers -
Dear Art,
As far as avoiding salads, I certainly don't ever advocate that, since salads are a melange of green plants, which is one of the healthiest things a normally functioning person can eat. Unfortunately, if you have a GI tract that has impaired function (as evidenced by the diverticulitis), then I'd certainly advise you to see your doctor before undertaking any radical diet modification. Typically, a consultation with a dietician will help you settle on the best diet regimen for you. Yes, there may be some modification of the intake of raw plant products, but you still may be able to have some of a limited selection.

Acidophilus powder is a controversial area. Acidophilus is essentially a pro-biotic, rather than an antibiotic. Before adding it to a diet, especially when you are already taking an antibiotic, I'd really recommend having a good chat with your pharmacist. Addition of acidolphilus to your diet may very well prove harmful, or at the very least, it may diminish the effectiveness of your antibiotic regimen.

Art, without a very detailed assessment of your health condition, it would be irresponsible of any naturopath or other health practitioner to just prescribe some natural remedy or regimen for you. The best course of action would be to find a local naturopath, provide him/her with your full health history, then let a comprehensive healthcare screening exam provide the indicators that your naturopath and your personal physician can use to find the best approach for you. So many people I see go to half a dozen or more practitioners who don't talk to each other, and their condition certainly shows it! All these practitioners are doing things that work against each other. Much better to have a medical doctor who talks with and coordinates the efforts of the chiropractor and/or the naturopath. Personally, I provide assessment and treatment reports to the physicians of the folks I consult. It's really the best thing for the patient, and it results in the best treatment overall!

Good health to you!

Dr. Richard Morton, ND, DR, LMT
http://www.iowa-reflex-sciences.com

Have any other questions? Try one of our experts at http://www.allexperts.com

http://www.allexperts.com
This message is sent by autopilot and cannot process replies.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2998 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3345

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review