All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can overeating cause problems
      #161068 - 03/16/05 10:06 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

Hi Guys, I am new to this post and IBS. For the past week I have been doing pretty well (This is the best I have felt in a long time). I adopted the fiber program and I eat oatmeal one, two, sometimes three times daily. Especially in the morning if I am having a bad day or had a bad night. but last thursday I ate a little too much, and last night I ate a bit more than i normally do, and the common denominator....an IBS D attack, I ended up having to leave class. I wanted to know if it does this to anyone else. I also wanted to know what people do in the midst of attacks to calm their stomach.I can't do peppermint tea because it really aggrevates my GERD.

I also want to know if anyone else is stuggling with their weight and or has conquered it. I am currently 5'7 106 pounds and desperately want to gain weight, but cant seem to.Whenever I get a healthy appetite back.. the attack strikes
Tonya

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can overeating cause problems new
      #161080 - 03/16/05 10:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yep. Little and often is the key. Btw, what do you mean by the fibre program...are you on a SFS (soluble fibre supplement)?

I can't have peppermint either and strong Chamomile tea is great for attacks.

Check out the Fitness board...some people are gaining weight too! I know Nik has gained some weight recently and is very happy about it.

Gaining weight... new
      #161096 - 03/16/05 10:29 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hi - I've been on this diet for about 2 months, although I'm C, which makes things a little more handleable! I increased my carbs, white rice, pasta and fresh bread with smaller amounts of IF to keep regular and also my sugar intake went up too, I'm 5'7 and went from 107 to 114 then from 114 to 126, I have only a few more pounds to gain to get to my ideal weight....I'm guessing it'll be slightly more difficult to gain with D, but, get stable first then increase things slowly - its all about trial and error and what your body can handle - I too get gerd so can't handle peppermint tea etc, but as Linz says, camomile nice and strong!! Best of luck and keep us posted on how you do!

Other than stress, large food portions is my biggest trigger! -nt- new
      #161125 - 03/16/05 11:28 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

It's one of my worst, too new
      #161134 - 03/16/05 12:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You're better off - and it's a lot healthier over all, for anyone, not just people with IBS - to eat smaller amounts but more frequently. I eat at least 6 times a day, but usually it's more like 8-9 times. I jokingly call it grazing, but that's basically what I do... eat all day in small amounts. Every time I stray from that, I end up with D and a godawful lot of pain.

As for gaining weight... it's totally possible. I was so sick with IBS that I dropped down to 105; I'm back up to a healthy 125 or so. Stick with the eat-small-amounts-often advice, and choose foods that are calorie-dense. I found that potatoes were easy to eat in quantity, and Heather's quick breads (especially the banana bread and chocolate-applesauce bread) give you calories without blowing your stomach up!

Me too. new
      #161179 - 03/16/05 01:09 PM
Linz

Think I forgot to say that. And as for gaining weight - I did even though I didn't need to. Heather's breads and ADBs were my main culprits...plus keep grazing on these and other higher-cal SF foods and the weight will fly back on! The grazing's important whenever, but if you're trying to gain weight, you don't have to worry about how many cals you consume so it's easier!

overeating is a huge trigger.. new
      #161262 - 03/16/05 04:42 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

on my days off if i'm home I graze all day... otherwise I aim for 6 meals and if I get in more smaller ones, fine, but my goal is to get 6 meals in any given day.. and DH is very helpful on our single mutual day off at making sure I have snacks or time to stop to eat...

on work days I eat once before, once on each break, once at lunch and at elast twice after work- 6 times!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Question for you grazers... new
      #161467 - 03/17/05 10:36 AM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

How do you guys fit in protein, veggies and fats with grazing? I feel like if I snack all the time, I can only eat soluble fiber things so then I miss out on any other foods. It's hard enough already for me to get protein and fat especially, and I have to struggle with fruits and veggies. Also, how do you eat around exercise? Do you have to eat before, and how much? I always feel like I can't eat for like at LEAST 2 hours before, and then I'm always STARVING afterwards. Thanks a lot for any advice!!!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: Can overeating cause problems new
      #161480 - 03/17/05 11:07 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I can't help you on the D end of things but I am also trying to gain some weight and just can't seem to- I concentrate so much on what I do and don't eat that I can't imagine starting to track calories to. I am 5'6" and 108lbs, I would like to get to about 125/130. Wow would that be sweet. But again- I haven't had much luck. 3 months ago I weight 119 but I have been having a tough time with pain especially during my menses and I lost alot of weight from not eating enough. Now I can't even get back up to 119 let alone 125/130. f you get any advice on how to acheive this please pass it on.
:

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Re: Question for you grazers... new
      #161484 - 03/17/05 11:12 AM
Linz

Well today I had...

Small bowl of oatmeal with a banana.
2 ripe pears (I'm okay with the skins).
Bowl of soup with some bread.
SOme pumkin seeds.

I usually have a normal sized dinner with my hubby and just graze during the day. Other favouites are: any SF fruit, tuna mayo & cucumber sandwiches, baked tortilla chips with houmous or home-made guacamole, corn cakes, Japanese rice crackers, ADBs, Heather's breads, veggie pate on toast, tuna mayo on toast, houmous on toast, English muffin with honey, Hot cross bun with jam....

So as you can see, although there're lots of SF foods, there is also fruit, veggies, proteins and fats. I also drink alot of soy milk as well as water and teas. Just be inventive. Any food can be used for grazing...just have it in mini portions.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2025 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3565

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review