IBS Quick Tip!
Is Smoking an IBS Trigger?
Tip Takeaway: The GI side effects of tobacco are immediate and violent. Smoking triggers every possible IBS symptom: pain, spasms, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, gas, nausea. If you needed yet another reason to quit smoking, you've got one.
- Yep - just like alcohol and caffeine, tobacco is a drug that hits extra hard if you have IBS.
- Tobacco - whether smoked or chewed - is a powerful GI tract stimulant, irritant, and carcinogen.
- Tobacco irritates the intestinal lining, causing diarrhea, cramps, bloating, and gas.
- Nicotine can also cause nausea and stomach cramps.
- Smoking decreases the efficiency of food digestion, causing altered bowel movements.
- Nicotine withdrawal can cause both constipation AND diarrhea.
- Extra air swallowed during smoking can cause belching, bloating, and gas.
- Nutshell? Tobacco is one of the worst triggers for ALL IBS symptoms.
- Tobacco also has harmful physical effects on virtually the entire GI tract.
- Smoking causes heartburn and reflux, two conditions folks with IBS are already prone to.
- Smoking doubles your chance of developing a peptic ulcer.
- Smoking is thought to increase the risk of Crohn's disease, and lead to gallstones.
- Nicotine - a poison - weakens the lower esophageal sphincter.
- Cigarette smoke has over 400 toxins and 43 carcinogens, all of which can affect your GI tract.
- Insult & Injury: Tobacco increases the risk of all cancers of the digestive tract.
Heather Van Vorous &
Heather's Tummy Care
Over 15 Years of IBS Business!
Have other IBS questions? Please call us toll free 866-640-4942.
Outside the continental US? Call direct 206-264-8069.
Get more IBS help at HelpForIBS.com!
See all the IBS Quick Tips!
Thank you for your continued support!
The goal of Heather's Tummy Care is to do good in the world - not just for IBS, but for our employees, our customers, our natural world and its magnificent creatures, and both our local and global communities. We contribute to national and international environmental and wildlife protection funds.
Millions of albatross chicks starve
to death on plastic ocean garbage.
Help us end elephant slaughter.
You're on this newsletter list because you have expressed interest in IBS news and information.
Change your newsletter email address here.
If you are viewing this newsletter on a website and would like to subscribe for email delivery, please "Join the IBS Newsletter" here.
ANTI-SPAM PRIVACY & SECURITY POLICY
Heather's Tummy Care
80 S. Washington St, #304
Seattle, WA 98104 USA
© 2017 Heather Van Vorous, Heather's Tummy Care. All rights reserved.
Authored by Heather Van Vorous. May not be reproduced without permission.
USA Copyright Office Registration Number TXU 1-270-858 and others.