Top 10 Questions To Ask Your Doctor About IBS!Share
To be fair, you can't ask your doctor for an IBS cure. Currently, there isn't one (except possibly gut-directed hypnotherapy, which is well-researched and which your doctor should definitely know about.)
But, since IBS is a disorder that you, the patient, must manage on a daily basis, these are the questions you can ask your doctor that will help you do just that!
1. Do my symptoms match those required for an IBS diagnosis following the Rome Guidelines?
2. Have you run the tests necessary to rule out:
Colon and carcinoid cancer
Inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)
Diverticulosis / Diverticulitis
Food allergies, intolerances, and malabsorptions (fructose, lactose, etc.)
Celiac (a genetic, autoimmune disorder resulting in gluten intolerance)
Bacterial infections and small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
3. Do you recommend prescription drugs? What if they don't work? What about side effects?
4. What about diet?
5. What about stress management?
6. What about alternative therapies?
7. What types of natural supplements do you recommend?
8. Do you know of any Irritable Bowel Syndrome support groups in my area?
9. Can you recommend any good books, literature, and websites on the subject?
10. What do you think is the best way to comprehensively manage my symptoms?