IBS Diet Quick Tip!
Is Coffee an IBS Trigger?
Tip Takeaway: For the single worst drink for all IBS symptoms, coffee is a strong contender. Wean yourself off of it gradually to avoid caffeine withdrawal, and then avoid it as much as possible.
- Is coffee an IBS Trigger? Yes! All coffee beans contain an enzyme that's a strong GI irritant.
- This can cause painful spasms, urgency, and diarrhea in people who don't even have IBS. Imagine what it can do to you.
- This is true for regular and decaf, instant or freshly ground, espressos, lattes, and a plain cuppa Joe.
- Coffee is also highly acidic, which can aggravate upper GI issues such as reflux or heartburn.
- Coffee increases acid production in the GI tract, causing even more irritation. Again, this is true for both caffeinated and decaf.
- The irritation of the stomach lining can also trigger gastritis, which causes pain, heartburn, nausea and vomiting.
- More bad news: the caffeine in non-decaf coffee is a GI stimulant. This is insult on top of injury, as caffeine alone can cause cramps, urgency, and diarrhea.
- Is IBS-constipation helped by coffee's laxative effect? No, as coffee is such a harsh irritant it's likely to cause cramps, spasms, diarrhea, and even rebound constipation, leaving you worse than ever.
- Coffee can cause IBS spasms severe enough to seize up the colon to such an extent that motility is slowed or almost halted, causing or exacerbating constipation.
- Try to replace coffee with hot teas that actively help IBS symptoms:
Heather Van Vorous &
Heather's Tummy Care
Over 15 Years of IBS Business!
Have other IBS questions? Please call us toll free 866-640-4942.
Outside the continental US? Call direct 206-264-8069.
Get more IBS help at HelpForIBS.com!
See all the IBS Quick Tips!
Thank you for your continued support!
The goal of Heather's Tummy Care is to do good in the world - not just for IBS, but for our employees, our customers, our natural world and its magnificent creatures, and both our local and global communities. We contribute to national and international environmental and wildlife protection funds.
Millions of albatross chicks starve
to death on plastic ocean garbage.
Help us end elephant slaughter.
You're on this newsletter list because you have expressed interest in IBS news and information.
Change your newsletter email address here.
If you are viewing this newsletter on a website and would like to subscribe for email delivery, please "Join the IBS Newsletter" here.
ANTI-SPAM PRIVACY & SECURITY POLICY
Heather's Tummy Care
80 S. Washington St, #304
Seattle, WA 98104 USA
© 2017 Heather Van Vorous, Heather's Tummy Care. All rights reserved.
Authored by Heather Van Vorous. May not be reproduced without permission.
USA Copyright Office Registration Number TXU 1-270-858 and others.