Interested in First Year: IBD? Add on Eating for IBS for complete dietary information and recipes for Crohn's & colitis!
The First Year: Crohn's & Colitis offers the only comprehensive approach to Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis by someone who has personally been there, prevailed, and now shares her knowledge and experience with you. When Jill Sklar was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 1989, she quickly discovered that the knowledge she needed most and urgently sought - accessibly written medical information and guidance on practical, everyday coping skills - simply wasn't available.
Since then Jill has educated herself on every aspect of the management and treatment of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis - by reading medical and scientific books and journals, talking with doctors, and networking with other people who have Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. She now shares her experience and knowledge with everyone who has been newly diagnosed.
The First Year: Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis will walk you step-by-step through everything you need to do and learn each day of your first week after diagnosis, each subsequent week of the first month, and the following eleven months of the crucial first year.
In clear, concise, accessible language, The First Year: Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis covers a wide range of practical, medical, and lifestyle issues, beginning with coming to terms with the diagnosis and then moving on to subjects including:
* Strategies for accomplishing necessary lifestyle changes
* Guidelines and tips for modifying your diet
* Surgical options and tips for coping with surgery and hospital stays
* Choosing the right medical team
* Discussing your condition with family, friends, and co-workers
* Current medical research and medications
* The special needs of children with inflammatory bowel diseases
* Effective alternative therapies
* Support group resources