All Boards >> Crohn’s Disease and Colitis Board Discussions

LuanneP

Reged: 12/17/06
Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Re: 12 hours apart is not correct for dosing of Pico-Salax...
      12/20/06 07:03 PM

Hi guys,

I thought I'd post this info in case anyone else tries Pico-Salax. It does taste pleasant, so easy to drink, but it's alot more gentle than the older purgatives. The dosing schedule, according to the company, is 1 sachet at 8:00 am and the 2nd sachet between 2-4 pm.

I emailed the company and they were suprised that the instructions from my doc said 8am and 8pm because that's not the approved dosing schedule for Pico-Salax but it is the approved schedule for another product as approved by Health Canada, so I guess my doc assumed it would be the same for Pico-Salax.

As far as response time goes, they said that in the studies they found that 3 hrs was the *average* time it took to kick in, but the time actually ranged from 1-10 hours (because everyone's GI tract responds differently). For me, 5 hrs seemed to be the magic number (for both sachets).

Although I was still going to the washroom at 10:30am the day of my test and it was not yet clear (it was yellow color and still a bit of stool) the colonscopy was successfully done at 2:00 so I must have been clean enough.

Hopefully this info will help someone else!

Luanne

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Anyone with experience taking Pico-Salax as prep before Colonoscopy? LuanneP 12/17/06 11:27 AM
. * Re: 12 hours apart is not correct for dosing of Pico-Salax... LuanneP   12/20/06 07:03 PM
. * Re: 12 hours apart is not correct for dosing of Pico-Salax... suzyq   12/21/06 04:30 PM
. * Re: My diagnosis ... ?? LuanneP   12/21/06 06:44 PM
. * Re: My diagnosis ... ?? LouC   01/26/07 10:22 PM
. * Re: My diagnosis ... ?? Bdeellpower   11/15/14 03:46 AM
. * So not crohns...only IBS suzyq   12/22/06 06:12 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 65218

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

Shop For IBS Here!