All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Intro?
      #7529 - 04/27/03 12:45 AM
narelle

Reged: 04/27/03

Hi,

I have never done Yoga before but read recently that it can cure IBS in 2 months! My IBS is very much stress linked so I should certainly benefit from it.

I have no idea where to start however. They have classes at my gym - would that be OK? Or is there a specific course I should take? Or certain videos etc?

Is there a particular line of yoga that helps IBS?

Sorry for so many questions, but any help would be fantastic and much appreciated.

thanks
narelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Intro? new
      #7554 - 04/27/03 07:44 AM
Lea

Reged: 04/22/03
Loc: Edinburgh,Scotland

The first time i ever tried yoga was on video and i loved it, then i went to one @ my local gym which was probabley better as when you do it @ home you are always thinking of the washing, ironing!But i have gone back to a video as its cheaper, it works the same and is so benificial, especially when your IBS is stress related.
Hope that is some help. lea

#7603 - 04/27/03 03:22 PM
narelle

Thank you Lea for your response. I think I will borrow out a video or two then to try at home first. I've enrolled in a pilates class which starts on thursday so I hope I can fit everything in. I don't think pilates will have the same stress releasing benefits.

thanks
narelle

#7653 - 04/28/03 08:16 AM
Lea

Reged: 04/22/03
Loc: Edinburgh,Scotland

Please let me know how the pilates class goes, dont know anyone who has done it so be interesting to find out if its as good as the stars say!!!!!
Am going to try my new video (yogapilates)tomorrow so will let you. lea

#7660 - 04/28/03 08:35 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Pilates IS as good as they say! I am hooked on it!

--------------------
Lorna

#7693 - 04/28/03 02:34 PM
narelle

My first class (of 8) is on Thursday so am looking forward to it. I have used books and a CD before but never committed myself enough. It's harder to be self-motivated!

Lorna, have you found it to be relaxing, helpful to IBS?

narelle

#7697 - 04/28/03 03:03 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
I've been doing yoga for about 10 months now and I love it. I would have to say that the benefits you get from going to a class really are better than the videos, T.V shows. I really think it's worth the money and make it a budget priority.

As far as curing IBS in 2 months I'm afraid that may be a myth. It would be lovely if it was true. It's more of a management tool, there is no known "cure" for IBS at this stage. Yoga has fantastic benefits for the mind and body and is definately worth doing. It certainly helps to alleviate symptoms.

Good luck with it.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#7709 - 04/28/03 03:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'd definitely take classes in person if you can. It can be really tricky to tell if you're doing a pose properly from a video. But if you're used to classes with a teacher, who can correct your posture, you can then add in videos and you'll know what you're doing.

Start out with easy classes unless you're pretty athletic and in shape. There are also lots of types of yoga - you might want to take a variety and see if you have a favorite.

I don't think yoga will "cure" IBS but it can sure help prevent and relieve symptoms. There are specific poses for GI tract problems - check here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7714 - 04/28/03 04:18 PM
narelle

Thank you to everyone for your help, yoga is definitely on my priority list now, although time will always be a factor. I try to do weight training and cardio 3-4 times a week as it is.

I guess 'curing' was a poor word to use, but the alleviating of symptoms in as little as two months would be enough for me.

Thank you to everyone for your responses, I'll be coming back to this board for sure

That link with the poses should be a great help.

rgds
narelle

#7716 - 04/28/03 04:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You might be surprised to find that as you get into yoga it starts replacing some of your other workouts altogether. I added yoga onto weight training and running about two years ago. Within the first two months I was doing nothing but yoga - I liked it so much! It seems to incorporate everything into one routine. I'm stronger now than I was from weight training, and the workouts are very demanding aerobically too. Every time I went back to my other exercising all I could think was "I'd sure rather be doing yoga!"

So anyway, see if you can find time to take just one or two classes a week at first and see what you think. You might end up addicted like me.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26899

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review