All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Beginner Yoga DVD?
      #320526 - 12/12/07 03:05 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Can anyone recommend a good beginner yoga tape or DVD? And I DO mean "beginner" as I am the most unflexible person I know - I can't even touch my toes without bending my knees.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beginner Yoga DVD? new
      #320815 - 12/16/07 08:28 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

funny, that you post this.. I just got a new dvd called *yoga for stress relief by body wisdom and it even has a full half hour routine for those with IBS..

http://www.amazon.ca/Yoga-for-Stress-Relief/dp/B000ICLRKW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1197822483&sr=1-4

#320866 - 12/17/07 10:18 AM
Erilyn

Oh that is awesome! Thanks I will definitely check it out!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#321144 - 12/23/07 12:53 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

A very good video is from an instructor named Susan Deason. She is very gentle and will explain the moves so that you are doing them correctly. Being a beginner I think this is a really good video for just starting out. I followed her videos when I first started doing yoga about a year ago and I learned alot from her. The first one I used is called "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss." If you try it, let me know how you liked it.

Good luck,

Carol

#321969 - 01/08/08 02:22 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hey Erilyn,

I think it's great that you want to add yoga to your lifestyle and health routine. As with any video that requires movement, I think it's really important to take moment to watch it or review it BEFORE you start to do it. That way you will be a bit more familiar with the instructions. I have seen so many people hurt themselves by practicing at home on their own with videos. I do think that videos can be a wonderful way to supplement your yoga practice for those times that you can't make it to a studio or class. If you can find a good yoga studio in your area, attending a class with a certified and qualified teacher is really a great way to begin. That way you will have guidance and support in a safe way as you learn.

Having said all that, since this video sounds pretty gentle, I am sure that you are going to be fine and that you will probably really enjoy having a yoga practice that you can do in the comfort of your own home. Yoga is a very powerful way to help heal your body, reduce your stress and calm your mind. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Peace,

KK

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#322020 - 01/09/08 09:17 AM
Erilyn

Thank you for the advice! I haven't bought the video yet, mainly because I don't really have a lot of room in my living room, LOL, but I shouldn't let that stop me. Furniture can always be moved! I'm hoping that once my husband and I buy a house in the srping, room won't be so much of an issue.

The reason I haven't gone to a studio is because the thought of doing any type of group exercise like that freaks me out. I am TERRIBLY uncoordinated, and the one time I took an aerobics class I was mortified by how badly I was doing, even though it was supposed to be a beginner's class. The other women in the class didn't seem to be having any trouble at all, making me feel like it really was just me.

--------------------

#322117 - 01/10/08 09:34 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Okay I found it on the US site (Yoga for Stress Relief). I'm going to buy it right now! I need something new this week to feel like I'm working on releasing anxiety and this sounds good. Thanks!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: Its Good! new
      #322426 - 01/15/08 07:49 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I got it yesterday and I really like it so far. I haven't tried the ibs sequence yet - they also have a sequence for C and a sequence for D. I've tried two relaxation and stress release sequences and they were both really good. I really like it, and I usually hate yoga dvds! I like the slow pace with a lot of time in each posture and the instructor seems really good so far.
Thanks!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: Its Good! new
      #322444 - 01/16/08 08:23 AM
Erilyn

I'm definately going to have to try this out! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

--------------------

#325589 - 02/26/08 08:25 PM
Dawn_Angel

Reged: 02/25/08
Loc: NY State

thank you all for bringing up this topic and recommending dvd's. I was considering getting a yoga dvd shortly as well. i have a wonderful pilates dvd however i'd like to incorporate more meditation practices as well so that maybe i can alternate them both every other day.
thank you! this whole IBS thing is new to me, i just found out the other day i very well may have it, and my doctor seems to think so as well, so i am going through testing now process of elimination.
i look forward to sharing on message boards in the days to come

--------------------
with tranquil thoughts,
**Jen Z.**

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." ~ William James

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin." ~ Mother Teresa

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20203

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review