All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yoga for Ibs-c
      #243761 - 02/03/06 06:51 AM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

I live in a small Texas town and there is no yoga classes available and I would really love to start. Are there any videos that someone could recommend that would help a beginner like me? How does yoga help those with chronic C? I have searched the web and searched through different post and the language of yoga is completely new to me is there a book to help me understand? Please anyone!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga for Ibs-c new
      #243833 - 02/03/06 09:42 AM
Maile

Reged: 01/30/06
Loc: California

Hello. In my experience, backbending, twisting and inversions help ibs-c the most. Also, I think if you can't find a teacher, books are a bigger help than videos since you can take your time reading the details and going into and out of the postures at your own pace. The problem with videos is you have to crane your neck to look at the tv, which puts it out of alignment with your spine and both endangers you and compromises the pose.

Yoga Journal (http://yogajournal.com/poses/index.cfm?ctsrc=tnav) has detailed explanations of many postures, and is a great way to get started. (the poses are listed in both the english and sanskrit names so they're easier to find)

Some of the best beginner poses for ibs-c are:
downward facing dog
childs pose
cobra pose
supported shoulderstand (be careful especially of your low back and neck with this one)
plank pose and side plank pose (if you pull your belly in firmly and keep your spine aligned)
finish with corpse pose

Start by holding each pose for 5-10 slow breaths, and try not to do them right after eating.

Also, heather has a list of good yoga poses somewhere on this site. You might want to try them out. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I still have several months before I complete my yoga teacher training, but I have been practicing for almost ten years, and I'd be happy to help you (or anyone) develop a home practice if you give me more information about yourself. Just send me a message.

Yoga has helped me a lot, and I want to share the benefits.

Maile

SO Helpful new
      #244078 - 02/04/06 06:36 AM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

Thanks for the advice. yogajournal.com is helping me learn more about yoga. I appreciate your response and I will keep in contact for all my yoga needs. Thanks Again

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6036

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review