All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Best Type
      #242074 - 01/27/06 10:17 AM
Gina67

Reged: 01/26/06
Loc: Illinois

What is the best type of Yoga for IBS and a beginner?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best Type new
      #242912 - 01/30/06 06:12 PM
Maile

Reged: 01/30/06
Loc: California

Hi Gina,

I've been practicing yoga for several years, and I've tried out many different types. I think there's no best yoga for IBS, instead, the best yoga is going to be the one that's most enjoyable for you.

Whichever you choose, I recommend starting with a teacher rather than a DVD. He or she will help you learn proper alignment and breathing techniques. Additionally (I find), the time in a yoga classroom passes much faster than time on my own or with a cd or dvd.

A quick overview of some of the more popular types:

Hatha- a general term that can vary depending on the teacher (there are many schools/lineages of hatha yoga). Tends to be slower and focus on relaxing and feeling your body.

Vinyasa- a flowing yoga that ties the body to the breath. Slightly more physically demanding than most hatha classes (sometimes called hatha flow).

Ashtanga- similar to hatha. quite athletic and focuses also on body movement, breath, eye gaze as well as spiritual practice.

Iyengar- this type focuses a lot on body alignment and is, i think, good for beginners. It often uses props to accommodate all levels of strength/flexibility. Definitely require a teacher.

Bikram/hot yoga- follows a sequence of asanas practiced in a hot room. Definitely not for everyone.

Okay, i'm talking too much. Sorry if this is too much detail; i'm a big fan of yoga. If you have any questions, feel free ask!

#248066 - 02/23/06 08:52 AM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

I have wanted to try yoga, but classes here are expensive, and also I am not sure how to know if the teacher is good, or jsut adequate. Any suggestions on findinga a good one? The expensive I could deal with (on top of the expense of cooking for two different diets, and the pills and supplements, plus doc appts, etc.) if I knew I was getting quality. I don't know anyone around here that does yoga to ask, either. Are you sure I coulnd't jsut get a good tape to use at home (easier to take a potty break, too)?

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

#248432 - 02/24/06 12:03 PM
Jackey

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Orlando, Florida

Well, if testimonials help....I started yoga 5 months ago when I was first diagnosed with IBS. I started a power yoga class, what you call Vinyasa. We actually sweat! There are 3 different levels of poses within the same class and the instructor shows us all 3 levels telling us to go into child's pose if we feel fatigued. She advises, "Do what you can do. We are all just practicing here." I am in the beginning stages on some poses, intermediate on others. It takes time. I will tell you that I am now addicted to the class and take it 3x/week. I belong to the YMCA. I even had a stomach ache from something I ate on Tuesday (O.K. it was cake!) and I went to class instead of home to writhe in pain. Halfway through class...guess what???...No stomach ache!!!

#248654 - 02/25/06 05:30 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I use tapes at home and it works well for me. I went with Kripalu yoga. Very gentle and relaxing. It makes me want to take a nap when I'm done.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Could you tell us the name of this tape? new
      #248664 - 02/25/06 07:10 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04

Thanks. I'm looking to buy a good one for my IBS-C.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Could you tell us the name of this tape? new
      #248689 - 02/26/06 12:29 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Kripalu Yoga Gentle
w/ Carolyn Lundeen (Sudha)
ISBN: 158350138x

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Thank you-nt new
      #248793 - 02/26/06 03:04 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#250399 - 03/07/06 07:26 AM
grayce

Reged: 10/21/05
Loc: Randolph, NJ

Please make sure that you tell your yoga instructor about your limitations! It is so important for them to know because there are certain poses that you should not do if you have your period, are cramping, etc. Plus they can guide you to certain poses to help the digestive tract. I have been doing yoga for the better part of 5 years - from hatah to bikram - and love it for my IBS-D - the mediation/relaxation part has helped me through many a cramp... ENJOY! :grin:

--------------------
Grace
ISB~D
Namaste

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13631

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review