View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yoga and Back Pain
      #14647 - 07/22/03 10:12 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Hi,

I haven't tried yoga yet, but have a couple of tapes to try. I am hopeful that it will bring some calm to this crazy gut of mine (I am IBS-D). My question is though, is yoga a safe thing to practice (or start) with a back injury? I have been out of work since June 12 with a bulging disk between L5-S1. (I am SO sick of being home!!)

I work in a hospital and was helping a patient to walk and he started to slip and I went after him. The pain is getting better, but I am still quite limited compared to a normal activity level. I obviuosly don't want to aggravate it even more and wasn't sure if yoga would be a good thing or bad thing right now. Thanks for any help.

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga and Back Pain new
      #14667 - 07/23/03 09:45 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Josie!

Do a search for yoga and back pain. I'm pretty sure this was a thread some time back.

I think there may be specific poses you may not want to do. They should mention "if you have back pain, don't do this..." in the tape. (At least they do in my book).

I also think yoga can help with back pain...if you make sure to skip the poses bad for an achy back.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes for you!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Josie new
      #14742 - 07/23/03 11:01 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi Josie,

There is no reason why you cannot do yoga but Ruchie is right, there are certain posures you will need to avoid or modify in order to cater for your back.

The tapes may advise modifications but have you thought of attending a yoga class? I find this is the best way because the teacher can show you what you should/shouldn't do in relation to your own body and its strengths and weaknesses. You really do get more out of it than from tapes and books. That's just my experience anyway.

I also find there's a certain "atmosphere" in the classes that is lacking when you do it on your own at home.

Let us know how you go,

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#15162 - 07/28/03 06:19 AM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hi Josie,

First, I would ask your doctor/chiropractor if they felt that yoga would be OK for you right now. If they give you the go ahead I would definitley start to explore it. Not only are the postures beneficial but the breathing will be helpful for you right now as well. I would start with your tapes.. go easy and see how your body responds and feels during and after. With some injuries it's good to move through them and stretch, etc. With others, taking a complete rest so it can heal is appropriate. So use your own intuition and judgement combined with your docots advice. Hope this helps and that you heal quickly.

Peace,
K

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#15164 - 07/28/03 06:20 AM
YogaTeacher

There are also some definitive books on yoga and/for "bad" backs... check those out too if you can!

--------------------

#15306 - 07/28/03 11:05 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Thanks for your suggestions, I head to PT tomorrow, so I will see what she thinks. I will also do a baord search and an amazon search for more info. BTW -yoga teacher- if you are comfortable answering this (it's cool if you are not) where in NH are you? I grew up in VT (White River Jct.; used to work at Darthmouth Hitchcock Medical Center) and now live in MA (Marlborough), it would be cool if you were close to either area. Take care and thanks for the help.

Johanna

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#15359 - 07/29/03 08:43 AM
YogaTeacher

Hey Josie,

I live in Southern NH.... around the Concord area. I have a yoga studio in Epsom, NH as well. I grew up in Mass, went to BU, moved to Los Angeles for 7 years, and now I reside in NH. We are not that far away from each other! Let me know what your PT says. Have a great day!

Peace,

K

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10395

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review