All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Green thickies
      #368314 - 10/21/12 03:58 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I came upon a website where the girl talks about green thickies instead of green smoothies. She basically makes a meal in a blender. She lost quite a bit of weight and also was able to conquer CFS.

The thickie has more substantial ingredients. I just tried the drink with the greens, fruit, and I chose quinoa to add to it. I just cooked up a batch of quinoa and added fourth a cup, and I also added some flax meal. It was very filling and very good.

I also found another website called the green smoothie girl. She has some great info and good ideas for drinks.

These drinks are just great. You are getting your greens, (that can be bitter, and you might not eat otherwise), in a very tasty green drink. I have started also to add a small amount of flax oil on occasion. All these great ingredients can be put in that blender, and it just tastes great. It's a good way to a healthier life and body, and it is so darn easy. You can even entice kids with it. I have, and most just think its a milkshake (albeit green). You can make it blue/purple by adding blueberries (my favorite). What a way to get greens in kids, without the fight.

You vary all your fruits and greens and there are so many to choose from. So, if you are bothered by a certain item, you can just use what you can tolerate. You can even add your acacia powder.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Green thickies new
      #368485 - 11/09/12 08:36 AM
Littlemom

Reged: 04/25/12
Loc: Oregon, USA

Omgosh this is so true a month ago my hubby and I bought a nutri-bullet which emulsifies foods breaking them down to the cellular level. I have found I'm eating fruits and veggies that I haven't been able to have in years because it breaks down the food so much I drink one every morning loaded with all kinds of fruits and veggies including greens. There are still some foods I have to stay away from, but I feel so much better because I know I'm getting good healthy sound nutrition that my body can absorb and not have any reaction too. This has been an amazing product for me. Truly a miracle from God.

--------------------
Littlemom

#368488 - 11/09/12 01:50 PM
Gerikat

I know, isn't it great! It is my afternoon snack when I am working from home, and sometimes it's breakfast. I am glad someone else has found this wonderful path to health!

#368508 - 11/13/12 08:45 AM
Littlemom

Reged: 04/25/12
Loc: Oregon, USA

Yes it feels so good to be able to be healthy and have fruits and veggies again. For nearly five years I could barely eat anything except rice, potatoes, and meat and breads and pasta barely any fruits and veggies at all some mushrooms and onions, green beans,corn,carrots and brocolli in very small amounts. Then it got to a point where I was barely able to even do that. Since the smoothies I eat or I should say drink, to many fruits and veggies to name here. Then I have protien and a starches the rest of the day because I know I am getting all my fruits and veggies my needs for the day in my drink each morning. It's so awesome

--------------------
Littlemom

#368569 - 11/15/12 04:11 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

How do you make these? Do you use all frozen fruits and/or veggies? How much of each fruit/veggie do you use? Thanks! Do yu add ice?

#368610 - 11/19/12 01:47 PM
Gerikat

Cyndy, this would be a matter of choice and what you like. I make a thickie when I want a more substantial smoothie. For these I usually throw in some cooked quinoa.

I would start out with a green smoothie, if you are new to this. If you have trouble with veggies, buy a NutriBullet. It is the best! It breaks down the plant at the cellular level. You won't have anything floating in your drink, and it is more digestible. You might also look at a MagicBullet or a Ninja. They may do about the same thing.

I don't usually add ice, but will add a frozen banana. Sometimes if it is too warm, I will add ice. I always add a banana for it's thickening and sweetness. I don't like overly ripe bananas just to eat outright, but they are fantastic in smoothies for their sweetness.

I usually throw in 2 fruits and 2 greens, but it varies. I use all fresh ingredients. I try to buy organic, especially the "Dirty Dozen". I rotate greens such as collards, turnips, kale, mustard, spinach, etc. The fruit masks the bitterness of the greens, so you are getting all these great greens, without having to cook them. I usually throw in a handful or organic blueberries. I really do vary the fruits and veggies depending on my mood and taste for the day. These drinks really do become addictive. They are that good!

There are many great websites and authors out there. Just do some research. I really like Kris Carr's website and her books. Her website is Crazy, Sexy Wellness. She lives with a slow growing incurable cancer that has invaded her body with tumors, but has managed to stall the progression of her disease by adopting a different lifestyle. She has some great smoothie and juicing drinks.

You just need to experiment with what you like and can tolerate. I keep it simple with my ingredients. It has made a world of difference in my health. People comment all the time about the sparkle in my eye and the shine of my hair. You will notice a change in your well being.

Try it and good luck!

#369057 - 01/17/13 11:09 AM
Health22

Reged: 01/17/13

Hi...This is my first post to the IBS Board. I have used this site to help me over the past 5 years. I don't have insurance, but 3-4 years ago I had a colonoscopy because of my first symptoms of IBS. (Which I'm deducing I have...since the colonoscopy was clean...) The doctor told me he saw nothing. I oscillate between diarrhea and constipation. More on the diarrhea side though. I have used Heather's tips for extreme flare ups and right now the past month, I cannot eat any raw veggies (like a salad) at all even at the end of a meal. My fiber consists of avocados, bananas, soluble fiber (such as white bread), potatoes white and sweet, rice etc. (those recommended). However, I need to incorporate more greens (kale, swiss chard, green lettuces etc.) I do this now by making soup, but, I was going to invest in a 'Vita-Mix" which grinds food (similar to the NutriBullet but a little more powerful) so I could have strawberries and blueberries. At this time, I can't eat, nuts (ground or otherwise), anything with seeds or skins (I always peel). I can't even eat apples (peeled)...which is a new development. I buy organic as well. My thought was the VitaMix because it grinds foods on a cellular level, that I would be able to digest this better, however, there is a lot of fiber in a green drink made by VitaMix although finely, finely, ground. My thoughts were maybe by "cushioning" my colon/stomach with organic white bread, I could try a small amount of a green drink and slowly build up to where I could have it in (not huge amounts) but maybe 4-5 ounces. Also I could make almond milk and receive the benefits of nuts which I miss so much in my diet. I am 61 years old and never had problems with foods until about 5 years ago under dire stress...(big surprise... haha...that this occurred...which is so common...). I know stress is a huge factor, however, from what I've read they don't really know except that there is a brain/colon miscommunication. Any help at all would be highly appreciated. I am stumped and need to get more greens in my diet to start healing this problem. I drink fennel and ginger tea which seems to help especially the ginger...or is this not a good thing? I love ginger in foods. I also like garllic powder and turmeric (which I read is a anti-inflammatory herb)...I know this is a long post, but there's a lot of unanswered questions. (Peppermint tea is not one I seem to do good with...) I read cinnamon helps you digest as well. And that ginger is good...but I seem to crave it..is this too strong? Again, sorry for all the questions. Also am overwhelmed with the info out there...i.e., any sort of wheat bread, organic etc has been modified since the 1970's and should be avoided, however, sometimes that's all I can eat! And in case I didn't make it clear about the VitaMix to make green drinks...will that be too much fiber or can you handle it (as I mentioned it) in small amounts with IBS. Thank you in advance to any advice.

Edited by Health22 (01/17/13 11:12 AM)

For Health 22 new
      #369079 - 01/18/13 06:54 PM
Gerikat

Hi there and welcome. Well, first I would say if greens, nuts, seeds, fruits, etc. are hurting you and making you ill then it doesn't do you much good to include them in your diet, right now. You would be doing yourself more harm than good.

I would stick with the foods that I can handle, and incorporate others a little bit at a time. I believe the VitaMix is pretty expensive, so I would make sure I would be able to use it before I buy it.

It is a good idea for you to make sure you get plenty of soluble fiber in your gut, before I would try too much insoluble fiber. I would still continue to grind, peel, puree, blend, cook well, whatever foods that give you a problem, and try small amounts at a time.

Look, I am all for fruits, nuts, veggies, seeds, beans, greens, etc, as I am a vegetarian, and I think they are extremely healthy. However, if they make you ill, you probably aren't absorbing the nutrients anyway, and you are making yourself miserable along with it.

I can handle green drinks and lots of insoluble fiber. If I don't get enough, then I don't feel as well. But, I wasn't always able to eat what I want. I did 3 rounds of the hypnosis cds sold on this site, and that was my magic bullet.

So, it really is a trial by error, unfortunately. You would have to experiment a bit, and see what you can and cannot handle. Slow and steady is the key. And it is more than the food. It's about relaxation, exercise, the stress in your life, daily temperature, travel, sleep, etc. So many variables play into IBS.

I hope this has helped. It took me quite a while to be symptom free, but it was well worth the effort.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25794

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review