All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating Vegan and Gas
      #366995 - 03/12/12 09:12 PM
mjazz047

Reged: 03/12/12

I have recently, past few months, become vegan and my IBS symptoms (I have IBS-D) have significantly decreased to the point where I rarely have to take my meds However, I continue to have trouble with gas. Any suggestions? I always try to make sure that I eat soluble and insoluble together and never insoluble alone and I drink a lot of fennel tea. Do you think I should cut down on soy and do almond milk instead or less tofu? Any other natural remedies I could take before eating a meal? Any suggestions at all would be wonderful. It's a bit of an embarrassing problem.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating Vegan and Gas new
      #366996 - 03/13/12 04:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Check the first two links in my signature. They will give you more clues as to which foods are known to cause gas and bloating in individuals with functional bowel disorders like IBS. I use this information in conjunction with Heather's diet with reasonable success

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367004 - 03/13/12 04:44 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi there. How quickly did you make the change? Sometimes if you make the move too quickly, you can upset that delicate balance. I have been vegetarian for awhile now, and I am slowly, very gradually making the transition to vegan. It could be you have made too many changes too quickly. That happened to me when I incorporated green smoothies into my diet. I was doing them every day and was getting gas, but once I went to every other day, and worked up from there, it was not a problem. Now, I probably drink a quart a day, with no problems.

One thing you might try is a food journal. I know, I know, it's a pain in the arse, but it may quickly lead you to your problem. Everyone is different, so reading generic data about problem foods that SHOULD apply to everyone, is a bit of a farse. You really need to find what is bothering you, not everyone else. This has worked for me so well, that I always recommend it to others, who are not quite sure what is causing their problems.

With the food journal, making changes gradually, and the hypnosis program, I am IBS-free, and give thanks every day for this.

I hope I have helped!

#367112 - 03/25/12 01:24 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

When I was a vegetarian, I was eating a lot of soy, and it took me years to realize it was making me super gassy. Some people tolerate it fine, but I do better avoiding soy. I would try eating less soy and making substitutes where you can (ex rice or almond milk instead) and see if that makes a difference.

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

#367132 - 03/27/12 05:30 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, I agree. I steer clear of soy as much as possible. Not because of gas but because I am leery of the nutritional benefits. Soy is in waaaay too many products.

#367133 - 03/27/12 06:45 PM
mjazz047

Thanks for the advice... I am definitely considering switching to almond milk and watching my soy intake. (I didn't realize but it really is in everything!)... I think this will definitely help

#367134 - 03/27/12 06:57 PM
mjazz047

Great advice... I think you're right and I may have been a bit too eager too quickly...added too many potential irritants at once and ate them too frequently. I think I may need to back off on a few things and reassess.

I think a food journal would be a good idea. (Even if it is a bit of a pain). Hopefully I'll see some sort of trend!

#367135 - 03/27/12 06:59 PM
mjazz047

Thanks for the links!

#367276 - 04/20/12 12:19 PM
Jhana

Reged: 03/19/12
Loc: PA, USA

I'm not Vegetarian nor Vegan as I still consume chicken but will incorporate these type of products in my diet where I can because I feel they are healthier for you. YES, YES, YES, I agree about the journal!! I've been doing mine for almost two months and just last night I was so tired and lazy I almost gave up on my journal but honestly?, without that, I wouldn't have known my issues. It's helped me a great deal. I even log in the days I'm menstruating, and my stress days so I can see how that affects my possible IBS (I'm still in testing-but since following part of the IBS diet, I've never felt better!!!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review