All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Goji berries
      #364658 - 05/07/11 07:36 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Just tried this delicious berry. I added to my trail mix of cashews, pumpkins seeds, and cacao nibs. I like making my own mix, because I make it fresh daily and I control what is in it. I buy everything at the health food store, raw and organic. So, if your belly can handle berries, they are a tasty treat.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Goji berries new
      #364661 - 05/07/11 04:43 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

ahhh i LOVE goji berries! hubby thinks they are weird but my 4 year old loves 'em too. i make little trail mixes for her.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Bermudakate new
      #364844 - 05/21/11 07:57 AM
Gerikat

Hey there. Glad to hear your family loves those little berries, too. Are you vegetarian/vegan? Tell me about your journey to a better way of living. I really like this board created by Heather because it gives us a place to share without having meat-eaters chime in. So, plese share, and lets get a conversation going.

Re: Bermudakate new
      #364890 - 05/25/11 09:10 AM
bermudakate

well, dammit! i made a big long reply to this and it disappeared! i will rewrite later

kate

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#364996 - 06/04/11 03:13 PM
bermudakate

i have been a vegetarian since i was 14 (i'm 33 now), so over half my life. according to my mom i never really liked meat, but i had a very bad food poisoning experience where i threw up 9 times after eating a hamburger that i didn't even really want to eat. this sealed the deal for me and i stopped eating meat immediately.
i fairly recently started becoming vegan...although it has been a gradual process. i wasn't really eating dairy/eggs because of IBS issues, so it sort of is natural for me. 2 books completely changed my life: The China Study and Eating Animals. I would recommend that everyone read these books! I am a huge animal lover but even more than that, it is very important to me what I put in my (and my children's) bodies. These are the only ones we get, and life is too short to not be living feeling fantastic- and processed foods are no good. I love being able to go to petting zoos/aquariums with the kids and not have to explain that these are for looking at or petting, not for eating. my four year old completely understands, tells me she doesn't want to eat that pig, etc. she tells people she's a vegetarian!
my kids are not vegan- i don't quite have the time or discipline to make them fully vegan, partly because although hubby is vegetarian, he definitely eats cheese and eggs. but what i do is make pretty much vegan dinners, so the kids only eat dairy maybe once a day, if that.
would love to start a discussion, so...what's your story?

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#365009 - 06/05/11 06:58 AM
Gerikat

Hi there. I am 31, not married, no kids, but I certainly hope one day to get there. It has been a very gradual process for me. I am also working towards becomming a vegan.

For me it is mostly about the animal. Health and the environment play a big part also, but I can no longer be a part of the cruelty. If it was a matter of just being the latter two, I could probably eat the occasional animal, but because it is mainly a case of love for the animal, then I can't eat them at all.

I have read both books you speak of and lots more, and have watched nauseating documentaries. I continue to do my research, no matter how hard it is to read/watch. I guess I come from the mindset now, of how did what's on my plate get there? Most people just eat, they do not think about how that food got on their plate. Even the by-products of animals are harvested in horrible ways as in eggs, milk, fur, leather, etc. You know what I mean.

Everyday, with the help of some fantastic authors, books, websites, and excellent vegan doctors, I am learning more and more how to replace and avoid animal products.

It is most definitely a journey, not something that most do overnight. I am working towards looking at my make-up, purses, shoes, clothing, home, etc. for animal products, and hope to one day be free of animals in my surroundings.

I applaud you on how you are working with your kids, so they understand where their food comes from. Most kids just do not know, and their parents could give a hoot.

You know what commercial I hate the most in the world right now. They have these famous actresses, pushing milk on our families. It pisses me off. The dairy industry will stop at nothing to cram milk down our kid's throats. I want to sream at them, milk is for calves, assholes!

When I have kids, they will be raised veggie. Period...end of story.

#365027 - 06/06/11 08:48 AM
bermudakate

I hear you! The concern for the cruelty of animals in factory farming is a big deal for me too. I am a nutritional consultant, so I must be sensitive to all types of diets, although I believe vegan is the best I have read a lot too...these issues are definitely my passion!
I had a "discussion" with a friend a couple weeks ago about the state of chickens and how they are treated. In my mind, they are treated almost worse than any animal in the states. overcrowded, diseased, stressed...it's just horrendous, as you know! She got very defensive, b/c her father was a chicken farmer and she grew up with them. She kept trying to argue that chickens LIKE to be in big groups, like a community. give me a break! i don't think any creature enjoys not being able to walk, being covered in [censored], and be so diseased from the disgusting conditions. talk about cruel. i could not believe that anyone would even ATTEMPT to defend this! then again, i think if you do eat those animals, you do get defensive, possibly out of guilt. i don't know. i just think it's crazy.
i also think it's weird that people who say that they LOVE animals, and have tons of pets, will still eat whatever meat put in front of them. to me, i don't understand how people can make that disconnect- but as you and i both know, they do it all the time!
i have also been purging animal products from my house- the leather thing especially has been bothering me for a long time.
it is nice to have someone else to talk to about all this...my husband agrees with me but i think he's tired of hearing about it! the thing that really bothers me is that most people don't seem to know OR care where their food comes from.
how did you become a vegetarian? was it fairly recently or have you been for a while? we need to convert people!
have a great week!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#365085 - 06/09/11 06:08 PM
Gerikat

It was gradual for me. My mom used to force feed me liver when I was a child, due to anemia,and I would throw it up every time. I didn't much care for meat. God bless her, she thought she was doing a good thing.

I pretty much let go of red meat in my twenties, and then seafood and fowl went a bit later on. It was a gradual thing, and one I knew I had to do. My soul would not let me continue to contribute to the suffering. I used to love my ice cream though, but have found great substitutions. This has nothing to do with animals, but I still do have that occasional cup of coffee. Sometimes it just tastes so good. I have avoided coffee not because of IBS, but because of reflux.

I have found with converting peeps, it doesn't seem to work. I think you can share information, but the decision must come from their heart. I don't think you can browbeat them. Usually when I try to share information that really shows the cruelty, whether it be a book, documentary, etc., they usually turn away. They just don't want to know how that chicken or turkey got on their plate. They let others do their dirty work for them, and their conscience remains clear. I just don't know how. I bet if someone suddenly told people that they had to go to the field and slice that cow/pig up, or chase that chicken/turkey and carve it up, many would rethink it. If they were told they had to knock that cow in the head to stun it, slit its throat, skin it, and slice it open, (many times while the animal is still alive), then they may rethink things. What you don't see and acknowledge, you can forget about. As Dr. Phil says all the time, "What you won't acknowledge, you can't change." And so goes it with the abuse to animals

I have also read that the workers in these areas, suffer extreme depression, anger, substance abuse, violence towards their families, etc. Well if you create and watch death and suffering every stinkin day of your life, what can we expect from them.

I just know that the path I am on is the right one for me. Whether others choose to go this way, is for them to decide. If people ask me to share info, I will, but not in a confrontational way. And you darn well know, that there are alot out there, who just want to argue and fight, and prove you wrong. I just go on my merry way.

#365436 - 07/07/11 09:03 AM
bermudakate

sounds like we have similar backgrounds! and our thinking is perfectly in line with one another. it is nice to meet someone who thinks about where their food comes from. i think about it every day. i totally agree that most people just don't want to know- which is completely crazy to me. we are in the minority!
sorry it took me so long to respond- i've been traveling

kate

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Hey Kate! new
      #365470 - 07/09/11 03:45 PM
Gerikat

Hey Kate, good to hear back from you. I just got back from the beach, celebrating the 4th. Are you in the states? I guess you don't have any problems traveling, either. It has never been a problem for me. I actually feel better when I'm away.

So tell me what a daily day of food is for you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37778

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review