All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone tried this?
      #357073 - 03/28/10 07:36 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I was watching Oprah on Friday and she had Jamie Oliver on. He made his mashed potatoes with olive oil, and they looked yummy. Has anyone ever tried that? I am going to try it and maybe throw in some chives or garlic.

I would also like to get the name of a good brand of veggie burgers for this coming grilling season. I was looking for a brand without alot of junk in them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone tried this? new
      #357075 - 03/28/10 08:18 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I make mash potatoes with olive oil all the time. It isn't unusual for individuals on a heart smart diet to use olive oil instead of butter in many foods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357080 - 03/28/10 10:37 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I have never tried olive oil but I have cooked several cloves of garlic with the potatoes and then mashed them all together with heated rice milk and a little smart balance light. The olive oil sounds good. How much did he use and is that in place of the milk or the smart balance?

--------------------
Janey

#357083 - 03/28/10 11:00 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Hey Gerikat,

No need to purchase those and pay multiple times the price compared to homemade ones that take little effort. Set aside some some time one day to make up some TVP veggie patties seasoned however you like... some same, some different, label them accordingly and stick them in your freezer with waxed paper or parchment paper in-between each patty before storing in one large heavy duty freezer bag.

I recently learned to love veggie burgers! Lots of options for flavoring those, and no need to pay supermarket prices for the same or even better. I have to say that today I don't miss animal meat hamburgers at all.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#357084 - 03/28/10 11:11 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Janey,

The olive oil would in place in butter or butter substitute. Some people don't even use milk or a milk substitute in mashed potatoes, but simply use some of the cooking water for the liquid to make them smooth. You can add parsley, chopped spring green onion, and other seasonings to flavor those mashed potatoes.

They can be really yummy and very nutritious. Choose from things in your spice cabinet that you like the flavor(s) of and experiment. Potatoes are cheap!... not much money to lose with experimenting and lots to gain from having tried expanding your potato horizons.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#357091 - 03/28/10 12:18 PM
Gerikat

Janey, I am not sure about the questions you asked. They didn't go into great detail, but Oprah loved them. I believe he just used the olive oil. I have put garlic, chives, and all kinds of things in my potatoes, but it never occurred to me to use olive oil, in place of the rice milk. I think that is a brilliant idea, and I don't know why I didn't think of it, considering how much olive oil I already use.

But, now that I think of it, Oprah said you can get the recipes on her website. I will check it out in a bit.

#357092 - 03/28/10 12:21 PM
Gerikat

Windchimes, I am going to check the recipe out on Oprah's site, but I believe he just used the olive oil. I don't think he used milk or milk substitute at all. I will get back to you.

#357093 - 03/28/10 12:23 PM
Gerikat

I have never cooked with TVP. Would that be the same thing added in to any type of veggie patty I would buy? So, you are saying it would be a waste of money to purchase the pre-made patty, but should make my own?

#357094 - 03/28/10 12:28 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Thanks for the advice Windchimes, but I know how to cook and I know how to experiment with spices in my pantry. I have been cooking for my family for more than 30 years.

I have never heard of putting olive oil in mashed potatoes and I thought it sounded interesting which is why I asked the question. I don't need a general lesson on how to make potatoes more interesting.

--------------------
Janey

Janey
      #357095 - 03/28/10 12:32 PM
Gerikat

I checked the recipe on Oprah's site and he states to replace the butter with the olive oil but he does not say how much. You could probably figure that out by taste testing, as you make them. He still does call for a splash of milk, but you could probably omit that to, if you wanted. He also adds a spig of rosemary and some sea salt. I think it sounds good, so I will try it sometime this week.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41558

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review