All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
WARNING: GRAPHIC, DISTURBING IMAGERY - For those who have doubts about Veggie eating...
      #356663 - 03/13/10 09:49 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4

This video is extremely upsetting, and rightly so. That doesn't mean people shouldn't see it - they actually should, so they know what's going in their world. But, they do need to be prepared for a horrific sight.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Edited by Heather (03/15/10 10:13 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You should put a warning label on this and... new
      #356675 - 03/13/10 12:48 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

although I did not watch more than the very beginning of the video, I suspect this is exactly the sort of proselytizing that I feared this Board would contain and that will drive more people away from vegetarianism.

I am so very sorry to see this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: You should put a warning label on this and... new
      #356679 - 03/13/10 01:03 PM
Windchimes

Anyone who wants to eat IBS safe chicken and turkey would find it best to choose range grown chicken and turkey from a local grower rather than from local supermarkets that purchase from commercial sources, which is what this video was/is about... a means to enlighten the general public about commercial ranching and subsequent health risks of buying these products.

I leave the final decision and choice to each individual as to why they want to eat more veggie and less (or no) meat).

Whether a reader wants to look at the video or not is their choice, that being one of free will.

--------------------

I wonder? new
      #356694 - 03/13/10 05:30 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

When I watch videos like this I wonder about the psyche, conscience, and spirit/soul of the people, who inflict this kind of horrific abuse on another living creature.

I wonder, do they have nightmares? Do they wake up screaming? Do they experience higher rates of anxiety and depression? Do they extend that aggression to their wives and children, or even to their own domesticated animals? Do they lose their temper easily? Do they "go off" on their friends? Where do the effects show up in their lives? Or do they compartmentalize the horror and suffering and only go to that place in their minds, for a brief period each day?

Is it just another day at the office...I wonder?

It is very important where I spend my food dollar, so that maybe I will see a change for the better in my lifetime. I pray!

I not only cry for the creatures, but I also cry for the people who inflict this kind of suffering.

Re: I wonder? new
      #356709 - 03/14/10 03:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I wonder those things too. I don't know how people can raise food animals and even name them and slaughter and eat them. Sometimes they say who they are eating when they eat it. I just don't have those feelings for fish, maybe that is wrong. My step dad's dad worked at Armor meat packing plant his whole life. He had hemorroids from walking in the blood (common and ha ha!!). I specifically haven't heard the stories of that place but I think he got used to it. I know he still ate meat. I think it is worse now even though it would seem the FDA regulated it more. I know someone who is probably 70 now and toured a slaughterhouse as a kid and never ate meat again. For a man from that time that was rare! I also have talked with someone who used to shoot the undercover videos at slaughterhouses who many years later tries to eat a little poultry once in a while and throws up. The unsanitary part bothers some people more than the cruelty part.
The good thing is the videos and all the celebrity vegetarians will help make the issue more well known.

I better go eat dinner- it is chicken night- ironically (we still eat poultry one time per week).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#356710 - 03/14/10 04:13 PM
Gerikat

I don't understand how they can do it either. I try not to hate or judge but, sometimes I find it very difficult.

I am currently reading Eating Animals , and it is such an enlightening book. The author is a fantastic writer, and I highly recommend it. The next book on my agenda is Slaughterhouse , by Gail Eisnitz. It will be a very tough read for me, but I need to become as well informed, as I possibly can.

Some would say, how can you read those books and watch those videos. I say, how can I not? How can I ignore what is staring me in the face? How can I continue to pay someone else to do my dirty work for me, something that I would never do for myself, while I look the other way? I need to expose myself to ALL of the brutality, cruelty, and viciousness, that is Agribusiness, so that I can make informed decisions, about what I will or will not continue to support with my food dollar.

The magnitude of the problem is overwhelming. One step at a time...that is the only way I can proceed and keep my sanity.

#356717 - 03/15/10 09:23 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I do wonder how you can endure that, being that I have gotten pretty informed and cannot emotionally endure much more of that. The thing is informing ourselves of it doesn't change that it is being done. What can change it being done? It would take a miracle.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#356729 - 03/15/10 12:44 PM
Gerikat

Oh, I can endure it plenty. It just fuels my desire to do better and be a better person.

Change takes time, and you know and I know it does not happen overnight...critical mass. But, this system will kill itself with its ugliness. And, I refuse to put my food dollar in the pockets of those money-hungry, evil people/companies. Supply and demand. When people finally wake up, and make better choices, you will see things begin to change.

Until that happens, you can bet this chick ain't givin em no more dollars!!!

I read that this generation of kids will be the only generation of children NOT to outlive their parents, because of the diet, toxins, and crap they are surrounded by. Now, I don't have any kids yet, but I am wondering if I even want to bring them into this.

Re: WARNING: GRAPHIC, DISTURBING IMAGERY - For those who have doubts about Veggie eating...
      #356747 - 03/16/10 12:14 PM
Gerikat

By the way Windchimes, I forgot to say, thanks for sharing. I believe every bit of it! In my research I am finding so much more, even more gruesome.

This gal will not be a part of anymore slaughter of animals... kind (now, that's a joke), or unkind.

HEATHER'S EDIT.... new
      #356749 - 03/16/10 02:53 PM
Windchimes

Heather made an edit to my original post (3/13) on 3/15 to clarify and improve this post. I appreciate this. The additions included the following:

"WARNING: GRAPHIC, DISTURBING IMAGERY"

"This video is extremely upsetting, and rightly so. That doesn't mean people shouldn't see it - they actually should, so they know what's going in their world. But, they do need to be prepared for a horrific sight."

"Edited by Heather (03/15/10 10:13 AM)"

--------------------

Edited by Heather (03/17/10 10:02 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 90079

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review