All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
pie crust
      #99681 - 08/20/04 09:34 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I looked through some of the pie crust recipes. I was wondering if anyone had tried something that they think works really well. I used to make the best butter based pie pastry- alas no more! I figure putting in my safe margarine in a smaller amount and maybe an egg white will work. Any suggestions would be great. I am making a peach pie tomorrow.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pie crust new
      #99691 - 08/20/04 10:05 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I really don't know if there's a good IBS-safe pie crust, but I must admit that I haven't looked too hard. Why not make a peach cobbler or crisp? Those are much easier to modify and taste just as good (and take about a quarter the time)!

--AC

#99708 - 08/20/04 10:46 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I see you haven't looked in the recipe index. Here is one that I have tried and liked. web page

I did find it a little dry so I added a bit more soy milk to it. It worked good. There are some other ones listed under dessert crusts.

#99732 - 08/20/04 12:14 PM
Little Minnie

Both your ideas are great. I was going to make a streusely top for the pie but I could do cobbler. About the pie crust recipe, I don't have any plain soy milk this week and I just went to the store. Would it taste ok with vanilla? I'm still figuring out what to do. Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Ok I think I made a choice new
      #99742 - 08/20/04 12:29 PM
Little Minnie

I pulled out my old recipe for betties.
This is the blueberry/peach betty I used to always make. I am going to do plain fresh peaches this time but I thought I would post the recipe.

Peach/Blueberry Betty:
1 can sliced peaches
3T sugar
2t. cornstarch
1 package 20 oz frozen bluebrries
2t. lemon juice
3 slices white bread cut into small cubes (1 1/2c)
3/4c quick oatmeal
3T brown sugar
1t cinnamon
3T melted margarine of choice
Prheat oven to 375. Drain peaches reserving syrup. Combine sugar and cornstarch in saucepan mix in syrup and blueberries. Cook, stirring until thick and bubbly. Stir in juice and peaches.
combine other ingred. besides marg and stir it in.
Sppon half fruit into 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Top with oatmeal mixture and repeat layers. Cover and bake 20 minutes. uncover and bake 10 minutes more. With butter instead of diet marg it had 9 grams of fat per serving and 343 cal. Serves 6.

--------------------

peach cobbler new
      #100132 - 08/21/04 08:03 PM
Little Minnie

This is what I made tonight

4 peaches peeled and sliced over a dutch oven
1c vanilla sugar
2-3T. flour
1T lemon juice
1t cinnamon
1/2t fresh nutmeg
put in dutch oven over med. heat and stir til bubbly and thick. Pour into a baking dish (the medium size) sprayed with pam.
Add this mixture to the top and bake in a 375 oven til golden brown.
3/4c quick oatmeal
3T brown sugar
1t cinnamon
I was thinking about using some butter spray maybe.

--------------------

Edited by Little Minnie (08/21/04 08:04 PM)

Re: peach cobbler new
      #343464 - 03/19/09 04:04 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

Quote:

This is what I made tonight

4 peaches peeled and sliced over a dutch oven
1c vanilla sugar
2-3T. flour
1T lemon juice
1t cinnamon
1/2t fresh nutmeg
put in dutch oven over med. heat and stir til bubbly and thick. Pour into a baking dish (the medium size) sprayed with pam.
Add this mixture to the top and bake in a 375 oven til golden brown.
3/4c quick oatmeal
3T brown sugar
1t cinnamon
I was thinking about using some butter spray maybe.

What is vanilla sugar? lol

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

#343466 - 03/19/09 05:18 PM
Little Minnie

It is sugar with a vanilla bean in it. You can store the vanilla bean in the sugar or use a coffee grinder/food processor to grind the bean and mix with sugar. I must have had it on hand and so I didn't need to add vanilla. Otherwise the recipe would be sugar and vanilla extract.

--------------------

#343493 - 03/20/09 12:48 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

There is an easy recipe for a pie crust in the EFI cookbook. It's 8 graham crackers (crushed) and a tablespoon or two of canola oil. It works great for me! I use it to make tofu/soy cheese cake!

I know that was an old post, but i figured I'd put my two cents in!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5882

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review