All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Fatayer (Lebanese Spinach Triangles)
      #98220 - 08/14/04 08:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Everyone I know who's had these agree: they should come with a warning label, because they're so good, they're practically addictive! They *are* a little bit of work; once you've had them and fallen in love with them, I recommend making them in double batches and freezing them.

Pizza dough recipe of choice, store-bought is fine if safe
1 lb. fresh spinach
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly sauteed (optional/if tolerated)
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon allspice

Chop raw spinach finely and sprinkle with 2 tsp. salt. Let sit in bowl or colander for 10 minutes or so, then squeeze dry. Mix spinach, pine nuts, onions, lemon juice, olive oil, and allspice.

Pinch off 1 1/2" balls of dough, and roll out 1/8" thick circles. Put a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of each circle. Fold up from the bottom to the middle, then bring the sides in the same way, forming a triangle. Pinch edges together firmly to seal. Brush triangles with olive oil (spraying with cooking spray works too).

Place on baking sheet that's been coated lightly with cooking spray. Bake in preheated 400-degree oven until very light brown, about 20 minutes. Best served warm or room temperature. Makes 20.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fatayer (Lebanese Spinach Triangles) new
      #98242 - 08/14/04 09:14 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

These sound heavenly..... what would you serve them with?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Ooops! I should have included that... new
      #98246 - 08/14/04 09:22 AM
atomic rose

They're typically a snacking sort of food. At our family gatherings, they were always part of a buffet of finger foods - they're kind of halfway between a side dish and a roll. (Does that make sense?) When I make them, I usually end up eating them alone as a snack, but they'd be good just as part of a regular dinner. I'd also say that 2-3 is a serving.

#98263 - 08/14/04 11:23 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

been ages since I had anything like this- sounds yummy.. this israeli is grateful for recipes similar to those she grew up on... I was going to ask if tabouleh would be ok for us too... but this sounds yummy...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#98275 - 08/14/04 12:35 PM
atomic rose

You know, I'm inclined to say to go ahead and try the tabouleh. Knowing what the ingredients are, it would probably be pegged as not-quite-safe, but I always ate it with a lot of pita and never had any problems.

How fun to find someone who grew up eating similar food! If there's anything you're looking for a recipe for, give me a try... what I don't have right here, I can get from my grandmother.

#103375 - 09/02/04 05:20 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey Casey,
I just stumbled on this post of yours, even thought looks like it's been here for a month. I swear you and I were separated at birth -- I have these sitting in my fridge right now! I always stop at the Syrian grocer when I am in Brooklyn, and these are a staple. I also live for the dried apricot paste -- kinda like a fruit roll-up -- have you ever had it? Mmmm my fav. I love spinach pies and I used to eat them all the time, but I was afraid now that they'd be a trigger. Just a word of warning to you and everyone else -- only eat one at a time!!! I had these at my boyfriend's parents' house this summer, and of course they were so good that I had 3 instead of just 1. Let's just say I'm glad they have a bathroom on the 3rd floor.
We are so lucky that so much Syrian/Lebanse food lends itself to the IBS diet. And if you are ever able to get your hands on a church cookbook, they almost always have a whole section of recipes for Lent, and they will contain no meat, oil, dairy, or wine. Needless to say, I love Lent. It's the one time when I can accept lunch invitations with the Church Ladies and not be afraid that meat and dairy will be foisted on me!
Thanks again for posting this one -- I'll try to be better about posting some of my family's recipes as well.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Ooops! I should have included that... new
      #103377 - 09/02/04 05:23 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'd also add that we generally serve/eat these at room temperature or even cold. And as with almost everything, we serve them (and dip them in) Leban, which is just plain yogurt witih a little bit of salt, garlic (you can use powder) and some dried mint (we call that na-na). So far my favorite soy substitute is Wildwood Soy yogurt in Pleasantly Plain. Don't stir it up -- leave it in a custardy shape -- or my beloved grandfather will swoop down from up above and smack your hand.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#103419 - 09/02/04 08:50 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I made these myself, made them small, so there was more dough in relation to the filing- yummy and I was able to eat 2-3 at a sitting without problems.. but I did have my SFS first.. I can't see making them larger, thought they'd be good, I think my stomach wouldn't handle them as well without so much dough...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#103427 - 09/02/04 10:08 AM
atomic rose

Hahaha! Maybe we WERE separated at birth... which is a bummer, I think we would have had a lot of fun - LOL!

This recipe is actually greatly reduced with the oil, as I posted it. The original called for a homemade dough with a lot of oil in it, and the filling had about 1/2 cup of oil as well. It really, honestly, doesn't need it - and my aunt was the one who tipped me off on the pizza dough, because she never has time to make homemade dough. Of course individual tolerances vary greatly, but I can still eat 3 or 4 of these - as I make them, NOT the originals! - and I'm fine. (Then again, I also eat spinach on a daily basis... it's one of my ultra-safe veggies, oddly enough.)

My favorites growing up were the meat-filled ones... the same theory, but a filling made with ground lamb and farmer cheese. SO good!

My grandmother used to make trips to the Syrian grocers in the city... I grew up pretty far north of NY (Orange County) so I've never been. Dried apricot paste, hmm? It's a shame the ethnic things are so hard to find up here... but I might check the natural-foods market, they surprised me by having jars of grape leaves, after all.

#103749 - 09/03/04 06:27 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Is the onion safe? I seem to have problems with onion.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8284

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review