All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Potluck party
      #95577 - 08/04/04 01:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Anyone have good ideas of a dish to bring to a big potluck party? I don't know if I should do a safe dessert or something more main dish. I usually make a pesto and tomato pasta about this time of year but that will not work. Any suggestions/recipes?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potluck party new
      #95615 - 08/04/04 02:52 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't have an immediate suggestion, but now I'm really curious about this pesto and tomato pasta. Is it so completely unfixable that it can't be made IBS-friendly? It sounds *really* good. (I'm all about pesto.)

About a main dish vs a dessert... I'd probably take a main dish sort of item, unless I was asked specifically to bring a dessert. The last few times I've gone to a potluck, I've taken some kind of pasta salad, but I'll dig through my books... I might find a better idea for you.

#95635 - 08/04/04 04:11 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Look through the newletters. I have been taking German Potato Salad to a lot of picnics. I have to make it again this weekend because my friend just had a baby and I told her I would make it for her. She loves it. Here's the web page. Last weekend we had a family reunion and I broght the potato salad and the antidepressant brownies. I love my desserts so I also try to bring something I can eat.

#95651 - 08/04/04 05:04 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks. I am thinking about something potato. I have red, blue and gold potatoes in my garden, but I have never found a potato salad I can stomach. I might make this one though or my confetti pasta salad with baby vegetables (I'm having a hard time remembering what I put in it.) The potato salad would be safer. Hmmmm...

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

pesto pasta new
      #95652 - 08/04/04 05:08 PM
Little Minnie

I wonder if you could make it IBS safe if you tried. It's just pasta, pesto and lots of garden fresh cherry tomatoes. The thing with pesto is it has olive oil in vast quantities, parmesan and pine nuts or walnuts. The only ok thing is the basil. Yet I saw a recipe lately that replaced some oil with water and then you could replace the parmesan with soy parmesan or whatever and you would still have nuts and oil or it would taste bad. I don't have that many tomatoes yet anyway.

--------------------

Re: pesto pasta new
      #95675 - 08/04/04 06:25 PM
atomic rose

Mmm... sounds good! I know I've seen a lot of pesto recipes around that don't call for a lot of oil and fat - a quick search at fatfree.com turned up all these (scroll down for the sauces), but I swear I saw a tried-and-true recipe somewhere. Hmm. Whether you use it or not, I think I might have to look for it.

Super Easy Pasta Salad new
      #95693 - 08/04/04 07:17 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I can't believe I haven't posted this yet, but it didn't show up when I searched. This is my staple... I take it everywhere and it always goes over really well. You can add extra veggies depending on what you like and what you can tolerate!

Super Easy Pasta Salad
(Makes 4-6 servings)

Ingredients:
1/2 lb uncooked pasta, of your choice
1 stalk celery, diced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2-3/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing (to taste)
1/2 cup fat-free or low-fat mayonnaise
salt and pepper

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
2. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente.
3. Drain and pour pasta into a large dish.
4. Stir in the celery and tomatoes.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the salad dressing and mayonnaise, then pour this mixture over the salad and toss again, to coat.
6. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
7. Enjoy!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: pesto pasta new
      #95695 - 08/04/04 07:26 PM
Little Minnie

Yeah cool I searched through all the recipes. Some are downright strange and have things that shouldn't be in there, I like mine traditional. I have made it every summer for years and frozen it but now I have to switch recipes. I like the sound of this one.

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
20 milliliters Garlic
2 cups Fresh basil; loosely packed -- wash, dry
4 Green onions -- cut 1" pieces
2 tablespoons Parmesan -- grated
1/8 teaspoon Ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1/3 cup Water

Start food processor, drop garlic into feed tube and process until chopped.=
Add basil, onions, Parmesan and pepper. Pulse on and off (about 6 times)=
until finely chopped. Pour in oil and water and process until mixed well,=
scraping down sides with spatula once or twice.
Makes about 3/4 cup. Use in Vegetarian Pesto Lasagna.

Really you could have more oil if you were putting it over pasta since that has enough calories to buffer the oil amount. And I don't think it really needs nuts.

--------------------

That sounds really good! new
      #95733 - 08/05/04 05:57 AM
atomic rose

I can't believe I never thought to mix dressing and mayo... I used to make pasta salad all the time, and just used dressing, and it always got dry. Duh.

I think I know what we'll be eating all weekend!

Re: Super Easy Pasta Salad new
      #95800 - 08/05/04 11:00 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Yum Kree!!
We do this kinda of similar.
Thin spaghetti noodles
no mayo add snap peas and fresh cooked cube chicken.
Also if the italian dressing bothers you leave out and do the mayo.Thanks again Kree I forgot about this recipe my family has used for years and it's IBS Safe!!!
Sherri

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review