Reged: 02/06/03

My first post. Any recipies for rhubarb. Probably a dessert. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rhubarb new
      #9413 - 05/19/03 04:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - If you have Eating for IBS, make the vanilla pudding recipe and layer it with stewed rhubarb to make wonderful parfaits. To make stewed rhubarb, just chop up as much rhubarb as you like, put in a saucepan with just a tablespoon or two of water (no more!) and heat over medium low until the mixture simmers and the rhubarb dissolves. Add in sugar to taste, about 1/4 cup at a time.

Stewed rhubarb is wonderful on its own, on toast, or in a bowl topped with vanilla soy milk. You can also blend some into a soy ice cream recipe (try the one in EFI for chocolate peppermint ice cream sandwiches and just omit the mint/chocolate) to make rhubarb ice cream. It's wonderful!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9479 - 05/20/03 10:48 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Here is my own recipe for rhubarb crisp. It probably has too much fat in the topping--cut down on the butter as you see fit (Heather, any suggestions?).

Rhubarb Crisp

Take 3 pounds rhubarb cut into coin-size pieces. Place half in the bottom of an ungreased 9-by-13-inch pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup (possibly more) sugar over top. Layer rest of rhubarb and 1 cup sugar. Press down. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Make crumb topping by crumbling together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, and 2/3 cup butter. Sprinkle over top and press down a little. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes; turn pan, turn
down oven to 325 degrees and bake 15 minutes more.

Reducing the butter... new
      #9484 - 05/20/03 11:00 AM
HeatherAdministrator

I'd substitute a butter flavor non-hydrogenated spread like Spectrum or Soy Garden, and I'd reduce the amount to 4T. Try adding egg whites to replace the balance of the fat (just read this tip last night for an apple crisp!)

You could also replace a bit of the flour with oatmeal if you like.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Reducing the butter... new
      #9881 - 05/24/03 07:15 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Just wanted to report, I made the rhubarb crisp with 4 tablespoons butter and no egg whites and it worked fine, though I scored the topping with a fork to get the "crumbly" look. Also, I would up the baking time (I created the recipe when we had our old oven, which baked unevenly)--I'd bake it for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees, until the top is browned.

#9882 - 05/24/03 07:43 PM
Essence

Reged: 03/20/03

I am making a couple of rhubarb pies tomorrow from a rhubarb plant that's been in my family for close to 100 years. Each time the family moved, we brought it along. Now it adorns the end of my deck. I cook/bake very simply. I make a rhubarb pie filling by cooking it slightly with a bit of liquid (I use rice milk), sugar, flour and a bit of salt and butter for flavor. I also make my own scratch crusts with simple flour, cold water, shortening and salt. If anyone knows of anything that I could add to my rhubarb pies to cut the tartness even more, I would love to hear about it.

Thanx,
Evie

#9883 - 05/24/03 10:49 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

isn't rhubarb considered bad for ibs?nt

#10064 - 05/27/03 11:49 AM
HeatherAdministrator

If rhubarb is well-stewed it dissolves into a texture like applesauce, which makes the insoluble fiber really tolerable. Rhubarb can have a laxative effect, but it's not nearly as strong as something like prunes so as long as you're eating reasonable portions, and having soluble fiber, you should be just fine.

- Heather

--------------------

#10320 - 05/30/03 08:26 PM
Essence

Reged: 03/20/03

I wish I could use soy, but I seem to have an intolerance for it. That's why I choose rice milk. I did add some nutmeg to my pie and that added a bit of flavor....

Evie

#70932 - 05/16/04 04:15 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Finally tried this Rhubarb Crisp today and it was SOOOO good! My first time trying rhubarb and I loved it. I cut the recipe in 1/2 and used oatmeal like Heather suggested.

I think it would be really good with some vanilla soy ice cream. I was going to try making Kree's Vanilla Soy Ice Cream, but didn't get the idea till after I pulled it out of the oven - and well, I was just too lazy by that point! lol Will try it later though.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5528

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review