All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rice Milk Thickener
      #77731 - 06/09/04 08:01 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

I made a crockpot(slow cooker)meal the other night and the recipe required the addition of cream at the end. I use rice milk, but on its own its a bit watery.

Works really well if you add 1 or 2 tablespoons of potato flour to the cup of rice milk. You could probably substitute corn flour, but sometimes it goes gluey. The potato flour seems to add to the creaminess. Anyway, worked for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good info..for we who eat GF new
      #77743 - 06/09/04 08:37 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Thanks Bevp, I've often wondered about thickening rice milk and have used arrowroot but there again it does get a bit gluey. Do you eat gluten free? I asked because those of us who do usually have potato flour around anyway..It's just not a staple for those who don't.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Good info..for we who eat GF new
      #77749 - 06/09/04 10:00 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi Kandee,

Yes, I do eat gluten free and just got the Australian Coeliac magazine for June. There looks to be some good recipes there, so once I try some, I'll post.

I got the hint about the potato flour from their mag. They suggest using the potato flour to thicken savoury sauces and for making gravies as in chicken pie fillings, etc and arrowroot for thickening fruit-type sauces for desserts. As well, if you're interested, there is a research project going on in Melbourne at the moment and they're fairly confident of finding an antidote to the antigliaden thing in about 20 years. (I'll probably be dead by then, but hey! it'll help someone.) There is also a new test out that finds specific genes which seem only to relate to celiacs. Another research project is looking at gene therapy - doesn't that sound hopeful.

Hope you're having a happy stomach day.

#77939 - 06/10/04 12:05 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Hi Kandee,

Yes, I do eat gluten free and just got the Australian Coeliac magazine for June. There looks to be some good recipes there, so once I try some, I'll post.

I got the hint about the potato flour from their mag. They suggest using the potato flour to thicken savoury sauces and for making gravies as in chicken pie fillings, etc and arrowroot for thickening fruit-type sauces for desserts. As well, if you're interested, there is a research project going on in Melbourne at the moment and they're fairly confident of finding an antidote to the antigliaden thing in about 20 years. (I'll probably be dead by then, but hey! it'll help someone.) There is also a new test out that finds specific genes which seem only to relate to celiacs. Another research project is looking at gene therapy - doesn't that sound hopeful.

Hope you're having a happy stomach day.

Hi Back Bevp,

Welcome to the club. There are quite a few here who eat GF but they seem to come and go. I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy some 30 odd years ago. If I eat GF and not just wheat free I feel sooo much better. Not positive diagnosis for celiac...........yet......I'm not willing to go back on gluten products just to find out.........I know how I feel on GF, and how it even affects the IBS and that's what matters. In fact the 2 are so closely linked........with celiac you often have IBS, but I know you knew that.

Interesting about the potato flour. I have some, but also have some potato starch flour (a bit different) always on hand. The potato starch seems to work better for breads than the straight p flour. If you can get it there, oat milk works better in puddings and things that need to get thick when cooked than rice/nut/soy milks. (I eat soy free as well.) Any tips, please post ok? Or if you think no one else is interested, email me with them.

Yes, yes, yes..............I am EXTREMELY interested in the research going on. An antidote to the antigliaden thing???? Wouldn't that be fantastic!!! But, you're right, you and I will never see it. However, the test that finds (and treats with) genes specific to celiacs tweaked my interst, big time. What a great way to have a test like this---...........an alternative to the not-always-reliable endoscope biopsy. Wonder what the therapy would consist of?
If you can, keep me informed, ok...and email me any links that may have more pertinant info on when they think the gene testing may be available.

Keep in touch..........and a "good tummy day to you too!!!"

Kandee

--------------------

#78086 - 06/11/04 05:51 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Hi,

I also have to eat wheat free (although I am not celiac) as it makes me feel very sick. Would you recommend using potato flour as a thickener rather than a bog standard gluten free flour mix (ie Doves). Just wondering as I am going to attempt to make a fish lasagne tomorrow with wheat free pasta (had bad experiences with this in the past - the corn ones are revolting!), white sauce using rice milk. Can't have tomatoes or onions or red meat (or soy - so quorn mince is out), so a traditional lasagne (my favourite bofore I got ill) is just not going to happen!!! Not sure what the final result will be - gorgeous or completely revolting!

By the way - there are some brilliant recipes for gf food in Antoinette Savilles cookbook (I particularly like the double sticky ginger cake). Heathers recipes are great, but often don't work as well using GF flour, although the fruit breads seem to be OK if I add a bit more liquid and/or use half the amount of eggs with yolks.

Any gf cooking tips would be much appreciated though - and one day I'll get around to posting my brilliant gf/wf yeast free bread - which my partner loves, even though he can eat wheat!

#78341 - 06/11/04 09:03 PM
Kandee

Hi Cath,

Oh boy, here we have a thread posted by an Aussie, and American and a Brit..........and no way to know what is available to each of us in the GF market. And on top of it, we have different authors of GF cookbooks…………what are we to do???

Anyway, Cath, you can actually make a lot of Heather's quick breads using a GF flour sub mix. What I do, because GF flours (even with adding Xantham gum) are iffy about rising as a loaf bread, is to simply put it in a 9 X 9 or 8 X 8 square cake pan. No fear then about it falling.

I can't even begin to think of what a fish lasagne is like, but I do agree with you about corn pasta............yuk.

Would love to see your double sticky ginger cake recipe.....and your own GF bread.

Have you been to the celiac.com site? Lots of info and recipe and baking tips there.

Kandee

--------------------

gene testing new
      #78543 - 06/13/04 09:19 AM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

Hi,
I have thought I had CD for the last 2yrs. bec. going gf seemed to help me at first. I had a gene test done to get more info. It showed that I have both the genes for celiac. It states that having the genes means you have the genetic makeup that predisposes to celiac,but that you can have them and not be celiac. Now I am getting ready to have another set of blood tests done.(the first time I was gf and the results didn't help me). I sought out a new gastro dr. bec. just doing gf wasn't doing enough to make me feel better. He gave me Zelnorm and said I am IBS C.
Doing Heather's diet and the meds and finally figuring out how much SFS I need has helped a great deal.
If you want more info. about the gene testing let me know.Suzy

Yes Suzy, I do...................... new
      #78570 - 06/13/04 12:03 PM
Kandee

Oh boy, if you can give me the name of the exact tests I would be VERY appreciative!!!

Now, just to get my gastro to order them..........and if not will go with my other "good" doc, but it will be pay-as-you-go . I don't care. I WANT to know. This is the first I've heard of gene testing for CD. Where HAVE I been?

How is the Zelnorm working for you? I seem to do fine if I keep my daily fiber (soluble and insoluble) levels very high, higher than most here do. When I don't I'm in big trouble.....I'm soooo "C".

Thanks again. You can email me if you don't want to post but I'm sure someone else would be interested in the gene testing as well.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Yes Suzy, I do...................... new
      #81463 - 06/21/04 09:09 AM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

Hi Kandee,Sorry it as taken me so long to respond. I'm on vacation and things were hectic trying to get ready.
I used ENTEROLAB to do the testing.The tests are evaluated by DR. Fine,the leading dr. in this field.
I will hunt to see if I still have the websit info..In the meantime try a web search.
They sent me a kit to swab the tissue inside my mouth and then I sent it back.
I was shocked to find to I have both genes.Since I was adopted I didn't know much of my family history.Now I have found my family and learned that my grandmother died of stomach and uterine cancer.This scares me. Suzy

Thanks Suzy. I'll check them out. I'm so sorry you have BOTH genes.-nt- new
      #81586 - 06/21/04 12:54 PM
Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review