1 9-ounce package fresh Chinese lo mein noodles
Nonstick cooking spray
2 teaspoons light olive oil
Powdered cumin and powdered sage to taste
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 bunch parsley, leaves chopped, stems discarded
1/2 cup dried hiziki seaweed, reconstituted in warm water for 15-30 minutes
Soy sauce to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the lo mein noodles, cooking until slightly tender but still quite chewy, about 1-2 minutes. Drain and rinse, then spray noodles with nonstick cooking spray. Run your fingers through the noodles to separate the strands and distribute the oil, spraying a little more oil throughout the noodles to evenly coat them. Cut the noodles into shorter lengths with kitchen shears.

Heat the light olive oil, cumin, and sage in a skillet over high heat until the spices sizzle. Add the noodles and stir fry until golden. Add the carrots, parsley, and seaweed and stir fry until carrots and parsley have wilted, seasoning generously with soy sauce. Serves 2.
--adapted from _Tassajara Cooking_ and _Eating for IBS_

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a variation on Heather's lo mein new
      #7712 - 04/28/03 04:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Wow, I have to try this! My husband loves hijiki (okay, me too) but I don't often see recipes for it.

Thanks!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7737 - 04/28/03 05:50 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Heather--maybe you can answer this--the recipe I looked at in _Tassajara Cooking_ called the seaweed hijiki, with a j, but the package I found at Wild Oats (Eden brand), which I presumed to be the right stuff, spelled it hiziki, with a z. Is there a reason for this? I was mystified.

#7741 - 04/28/03 06:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Geez, I've no idea. I've only seen it spelled hijiki, at Japanese restaurants and in Asian markets. Maybe it's just a phonetic translation from Japanese that has more than one English version?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6308

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review