All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need "take along" casserole dishes for Pot Lucks
      #669 - 02/11/03 11:32 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Hello! After attending a family pot luck and only finding fat full and fried foods, I realized I need to bring my own dish that I can safely eat. I'd like to hear what others bring to functions that all attending will enjoy. Thanks! Karin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need "take along" casserole dishes for Pot Lucks new
      #673 - 02/11/03 01:22 PM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

When I went to my in-laws for Christmas I took a nice big loaf of french bread and a angel food cake so I knew I could at least fill my stomach. Those are things you can always pick up at the store on your way if you are in a pinch.

But if you have time to cook, how about a sweet potato casserole, or the tuna noodle casserole that was just in Heather's last newsletter? Or how about an enchilada casserole made with pureed beans, rice, finely chopped and sauteed veggies, and soy cheese? If you know ahead of time of a particular temptation (like Aunt so-and-so's famous cheesecake) then you could make something similar, but with IBS safe ingredients, so you will be less likely to splurge. Also, a fruit salad with mango, papaya, bananas, and a few peeled fruits is a good idea if, like me, you can't pass up that nice, big colorful bowl of fruit.

#674 - 02/11/03 01:25 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Tuna noodle casserole comes to mind; the one I posted only serves two but Heather just ran one in her newsletter that served many. I also posted a tofu manicotti recipe on here that would be suitable for a potluck. If you have any pre-IBS-diagnosis recipes that you need help converting, just ask; I have a recipe for cream of mushroom soup (if I haven't posted it already) that you could make with soy milk, if that were an ingredient in a favorite casserole.

#680 - 02/11/03 05:01 PM
Karin

That Enchilada casserole sounds great, and so does the sweet potato casserole. Where can I find the recipes? Thanks for the help! Karin

#747 - 02/12/03 01:29 PM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

Oops, I don't actually have the recipes. I was just thinking up ideas off the top of my head. I usually find a lot of good recipes on foodnetwork.com. Or do you have The Joy of Cooking cookbook? You can find the basic recipes for just about anything in that book. Then you'd just have to follow Heather's substitution guidelines.

By the way, I just checked foodnetwork.com to see if I could find a sweet potato casserole recipe but got sidetracked by a recipe called "Sweet Potato Puree with Bananas and Buttered Pecans." The butter has to be substituted, of course, and the pecans ground but otherwise it is pure soluble fiber. I would have posted the recipe here but didn't know if it was ok to post a recipe from a copyrighted source.

You can post a link to the recipe... new
      #754 - 02/12/03 02:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

or copy the recipe and cite the source so people know who the original author is.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Enchilada Casserole Recipe new
      #759 - 02/12/03 03:54 PM
Karin

I found this low fat enchilada casserole recipe at floras-hideout.com. I'm not bothered by a little dairy (I culture my own homemade yogurt for 24 hours), but maybe you all can change it and post the changes so we can adapt it for those who are dairy sensitive. I'd also like to add some vegetables to it (not corn) to make it a complete meal, any ideas?
http://www.floras-hideout.com/recipes/mxp/favor/55.html

sweet potato casserole new
      #1506 - 02/26/03 04:27 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Here is my family's standard sweet potato casserole--enjoy!

Orange-Scented Sweet Potatoes

3 lbs. sweet potatoes, baked
5 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind (from organic orange)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind (from organic lemon)
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
Pinch of ground nutmeg
2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
Lightly toasted, finely chopped pecans for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Peel the sweet potatoes and put the flesh into a food processor, along with the remaining ingredients. Process until smooth. Bake the puree in a casserole dish until heated through, about 15 minutes. Garnish with the pecans and serve hot. Makes 6 servings.

Edited by TessLouise (11/25/07 08:27 PM)

Re: sweet potato casserole new
      #1508 - 02/26/03 04:31 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

This sounds so good! I will have to make this next time we have a family get together, so I will be able to eat something!

Oh and by the way. If you ever get the pizza sauce recipe, don't forget about me.

Thanks!

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7379

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review