All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oatmeal...
      #6184 - 04/15/03 10:50 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I know many of us have had problems with oatmeal. I read a suggestion in one of my cookbooks that sounds intriguing. I can't try it right now because I haven't got any oatmeal (and I promised myself I wouldn't buy more till my grits were gone--I have no storage space!). But maybe someone else can try this in the meantime.

Breakfast Porridge

1 cup oats, rolled or cracked
1 cup warm filtered water plus 2 tablespoons whey, yoghurt, kefir, or buttermilk (if you can handle it--if not substitute lemon juice or vinegar, which is what I would do)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup filtered water
1 tablespoon flax seeds (optional)

For highest benefits and best assimilation, porridge should be soaked overnight or even longer. Once soaked, oatmeal cooks up in less than 5 minutes.

Mix oats with warm water mixture, cover and leave in a warm place for at least 7 hours and as long as 24 hours. Bring an additional 1 cup of water to a boil with sea salt. Add soaked oats, reduce heat, cover, and simmer several minutes. Meanwhile, grind optional flax seeds in a mini grinder. Remove from heat, stir in optional flax seeds and let stand for a few minutes. Serves 4.
--_Nourishing Traditions_

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oatmeal... new
      #6187 - 04/16/03 02:22 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Not to be rude or anything tess, but what makes this recipe alot different than any other old plain oatmeal recipe?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6257 - 04/16/03 01:41 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Here, I'll type up the recipe's author's explanation:

"All grains contain phytic acid ... in the outer layer or bran. ... Soaking allows enzymes, lactobacilli, and other helpful organisms to break down and neutralize phytic acid. As little as seven hours of soaking in warm acidulated water [as in the oatmeal recipe] will neutralize a large portion of phytic acid in grains. The simple practice of soaking cracked or rolled cereal grains overnight will vastly improve their nutritional benefits. ... During the process of soaking and fermenting, gluten and other difficult-to-digest proteins are partially broken down into simpler components that are more readily available for absorption."
from _Nourishing Traditions_, pp. 452-3

I hope that helps--sorry I wasn't clear before--and if you do try the process, let us know how it goes!

Re: Tess Louise... new
      #6265 - 04/16/03 02:44 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Thank You Sooooooooooooooo Much Tess Louise! I am so grateful that you took your time to post that. I will definitly try it asap. thanks again!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#246522 - 02/15/06 10:28 AM
nev

Reged: 02/15/06

hi
I have been told that for people that can not tollerate cows milk, goats milk being far easier to digest is worth a try, has anyone tried this or is it a no no?.
nev

#246834 - 02/16/06 03:14 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Goat's milk is still an IBS trigger. Try soy or rice milk

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13598

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review