All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Applesauce Pancakes
      #5229 - 04/06/03 08:56 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Here's another from The McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook. I liked their Banana French Toast, so although I haven't tried it yet, I have faith in this one. I know I won't be making this until at least next weekend, so if anyone tries before me, let me know how it is.

Applesauce Pancakes

1 c unbleached white flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour (I think this mixed with the white flour plus the soluble fiber of the applesauce makes it safe )
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 c rice milk
3/4 c applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp egg replacer mixed with 2 T water (I think this is dry egg replacer reconstituted I'll prob just use All Whites or Egg Beaters)

Mix the dry ingredients together (except the egg replacer) in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients together. In a separate bowl, beat the egg replacer & water until very frothy. Add to the wet ingredients. (My Note: Why don't they just mix the egg replacer & water in bowl, then add the wet. Why dirty another bowl? ) Combine wet & dry ingredients & beat until well blended. Pour the batter onto a hot nonstick griddle. When bubbles form on top of the pancakes & the edges are beginning to dry out, turn to bake the other side.

To serve, spread a little applesauce over them & sprinkle with cinnamon. Makes 12 pancakes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Applesauce Pancakes new
      #5230 - 04/06/03 09:05 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Mags: I wonder if we could substitute Buckwheat Flour for the Whole Wheat? I enjoy the wheaty flavor of buckwheat and since it's only ½ cup, it seems like it would be a good substitution?

#5239 - 04/06/03 12:03 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Maybe. That sounds like one for Heather! (or somebody else?) I've never had buckwheat flour. At least not that I know of. Is it safe for IBS?

#5240 - 04/06/03 12:37 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Yes it's safe, it's a grain and has a very wheaty (if that's a word...lol) taste. I just made some pancakes last night with it, they were very good.

Re: Applesauce Pancakes - Buckwheat's an herb... new
      #5543 - 04/09/03 09:11 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi - just thought I'd give you guys a little buckwheat background.

It's the triangular seeds of an herb "Fagopyrum". It is NOT a member of the family of cereal grasses to which wheat belongs. Buckwheat originates in Central Asia and Siberia, where it grows wild. Its use as a cereal is recent, compared to rice, barley and millet. Buckwheat was introduced into Europe during the early 15th century and the first settlers brought it to the New World.

Buckwheat is a plant that likes a cool climate and will grow on the poorest and most arid soils. It is the staple grain of Russia and Poland, where millions of acres are put under buckwheat cultivation. The familiar Russian and Polish name for cooked buckwheat is KASHA. Jewish cookery, which uses buckwheat extensively, also uses this term.

Buckwheat is also consumed in Germany and France (Susaloh and Claire take note), the French name being SAYRASIN. In the US, buckwheat is used mainly as flour for pancakes.

The bran is removed and the remainder of the kernel is used to make flour or groats. Buckwheat groats may be brown or white and also whole-kernel, coarse, med, or fine. The med is the most popular.

If anyone is interested, I have a few buckwheat recipes: Kasha, country-style buckwheat groats, buckwheat cakes and baked buckwheat pudding. I'm sure they can be revised to fit IBS guidelines.

Happy buckwheating!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 360 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10580

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review