Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dutch Rice Torte
      #5222 - 04/06/03 01:26 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi,

Concrete Angel would like to try baking a rice cake so here's a recipe I've found in my 'normal' cook book. I haven't tried it out. Do you think it can be adapted to IBS rules (too much fat perhaps)?? I have no experience yet with substituting, so could one of you experts 'edit' it?

My next problem is to convert the European grams to ounces, I hope the measurements won't be too weird!

400 g tinned apricots (halved) (c 14 oz)
1 l milk (soy milk?)
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp lemon zest
200 g short grain rice (7 oz)
100 g Butter (!!)
4 egg yolks (!!!)
100 g sugar (3.5 oz)
50 g flour (1.8 oz)
50 g ground almonds (1.8 oz)
3 egg whites, pinch of salt
2 tbsp icing sugar

Drain apricots, keep some to side for decoration, dice the other halves.
Boil rice with milk, vanilla pod and lemon zest and leave to simmer for 20 mins (for unexperienced cooks, better keep stirring). Leave to cool.
Preheat oven to 200 centigrades (390 F)
Blend butter (or substitute!) egg yolks (ditto), sugar, flour and almonds. Beat egg whites with salt until stiff.
Mix rice with butter mixture and fold in egg whites. Grease and flour 24 cm (9.5'') spring form or equivalent (I would use baking paper instead). Fill in mixture and bake for one hour. Leave to cool for 10 mins then turn onto rack. Sprinkle icing sugar on top.

It also says to decorate the cake with blobs of cream and to put the left over apricot quarters on top!! Any substitute for that? Anyway, I'm sure it would be nice just to have it with icing sugar.

This is fun and I'm really curious for your suggestions!!

Susaloh

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dutch Rice Torte new
      #5232 - 04/06/03 09:38 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Eak! Sus, theres alot of triggers in that cake. Hopefully, I can use replacements with it still tasting mm mm good.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#5237 - 04/06/03 10:59 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi!
Yeah, I know!!! I'm hoping some of the experts will advise us on how to substitute the triggers! In Heather's book it says it's possible to adapt many desert recipes.

Susaloh

#5259 - 04/06/03 08:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I haven't ever made a rice cake like this, and the gram measurements are throwing me a bit, but I don't see why you couldn't omit the butter altogether (or replace with applesauce), and replace the egg yolks with 2-3 T canola oil. Follow the rest of the recipe as instructed (but don't top with the blobs of whipped cream). The rice will give a great soluble fiber base, the almonds are finely ground, and you could easily use soy milk for the dairy milk. This basically sounds like a rice pudding that you then fold some egg whites and fat into and bake into a custard-cake. I would bet it comes out just fine with the substitutions - in general, any type of rice pudding is pretty flexible and forgiving.

Because you're reducing the fat, I'd up the flavor by increasing the lemon zest to 1 T. Might also add some fresh nutmeg or cinnamon.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review