Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How Much Apple Sauce For Zucchini Bread? - Heather or Kree
      #49263 - 03/10/04 09:35 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello Again!

I still haven't made Heather's "apple bread" substituting apples for the bananas in her banana bread recipe. However, I have bought some lovely organic Red Delicious apples and will tackle this baking project this weekend. In the meantime, I made another batch of Heather's banana bread last night (again without sugar).

Since I am on this baking drive, I would like to try Heather's sweet cinnamon zucchini bread recipe (in her Eating For IBS book). Once again, I am challenged by the fact I can't have sugar. Could I use apple sauce to sweeten the zucchini bread? If so, how much would I need to add? Would I need to change any other ingredients?

I really appreciate all your advice! I am determined to become a proficient baker ... although this may take a lot of practice!

Belinda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How Much Apple Sauce For Zucchini Bread? - Heather or Kree new
      #49266 - 03/10/04 09:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I think if you add applesauce the bread will be too wet, as there's already a lot of moisture in there from the zucchini. You might try swapping half the zucchini for applesauce, and maybe reducing the oil by a few tablespoons and then adding those extra tablespoons as applesauce too. I do think you need to keep the total quantity of wet ingredients (zucchini, oil) the same - just replace some, but not all, with the applesauce.

The bread still won't be as sweet as the banana bread, of course. I'm just not sure if removing all the dry sugar will affect the food chemistry of the bread, so it rises and bakes properly. I think you'll have to just give it a go, and see what happens.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: How Much Apple Sauce For Zucchini Bread? - For Heather new
      #49313 - 03/10/04 11:41 AM
belinda

Thank you, Heather! I'll let you know what happens!

I've been soooooooo happy with your banana bread recipe (minus the sugar). I'm not sure how your banana bread turns out if it has the recommended sugar, but it turns out just fine without it. I enjoy several slices of your banana bread every day at work! It's such an incredible treat for me because I haven't had anything sweet for years since giving up sugar due to dizzy spells.

Following on the heels of my success with your banana bread recipe, I have invested in a beautiful set of stainless steel mixing bowls, two sets of high-end mixing spoons, a three-cup flour sifter and other baking gadgets! I bought everything (except the bowls)at Macy's on my last trip to California (two weeks ago) and brought them home in my suitcase! I don't think we can get such nice baking equipment here although my bowls (bought from a Toronto store) are very posh! I also outfitted my boyfriend's place with the same equipment (he paid for most of it!) so I can do some baking when I visit him. He doesn't like sweet things so he enjoys your sugar-free banana bread too! (I leave him some in the freezer when I go home!)

In short, I am getting very serious about learning to bake! I've already gained two pounds from eating your banana bread! (I would like to gain another three pounds.) There are quite a few diabetics in my family, and they're all excited because I've promised to bring a loaf of your banana bread (minus the sugar) to a family gathering this weekend! If the sugar-free apple bread (based on your banana bread recipe) turns out well, I'll bring a loaf of it too.

I'll try your zucchini bread recipe on another occasion. It will probably save me a lot of work if I swap half the zucchini for apple sauce because then I won't have to grate so much zucchini! (I haven't invested in a food processor......yet!)

Thank you again! It seems I have discovered a new hobby!

Belinda

This is terrific! You should be so proud... new
      #49342 - 03/10/04 02:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

a whole new posh baking set-up - that is wonderful! I'd bet that in a very, very short while you'll find that your new equipment plus familiarity with baking will let you whip up a batch of banana bread in 10 minutes flat. No kidding!

It's so much nicer and easier to cook when you have the right tools - makes such a big difference! One of my good friends just moved into her own place for the very first time, and she's just learning to cook, so for housewarming presents I'm giving her all kitchen basics that will last forever.

I don't know what the Canadian equivalent to Goodwill, Salvation Army, Value Village, and other thrift stores would be, but I've gotten some of my very best baking pans at these places. I find that the old, heavy-gauge ones are much better than the newer, thinner pans on the market now. Once in a while I see brand new very expensive, heavy gauge baking tins and they're a fortune. I can get them for pocket change at thrift stores and sometimes even antique stores. That's where I've found great bundt pans, angel food cake pans, and even cool lemon juicers that strain as you juice.

Anyway, let me know how your other breads come out. You might try the pumpkin or sweet potato one next - my guess is that if you increase the vanilla and spices, you won't notice the missing sugar nearly as much.

You can also make the cornbread without sugar, and it's equally good. You could add some Southwestern spices to make it even more savory (maybe mild chili powder, dash of oregano, cumin, etc.)

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This is terrific! You should be so proud... new
      #49412 - 03/10/04 09:15 PM
belinda

Heather:

Well, right now making banana bread in 10 minutes is only in my dreams! It takes me about two hours to get the batter together and then wash all the dishes! Then there's another hour wait while the loaves are in the oven and another 90 minutes or so to wait for them to cool down! Afterwards, I still have to wash the floors!

Yes, I would like to try your pumpkin and sweet potato breads. Unfortunately, I will have to skip the corn bread because I think I may have a slight allergy to corn.

Thank you for all your encouragement and suggestions! Shopping for baking pans at Goodwill/Salvation Army stores is a great idea! The posh mixing bowls I bought were actually a birthday gift to myself. My parents gave me a little money to buy a gift so I bought the bowls! They're of such good quality, I'm sure they could survive a nuclear fallout! But I can't afford to always splurge on such fancy things so I will definitely keep an eye out for some good second hand pans.

I'll keep you posted on my baking adventures -- beginning this weekend (I hope I find the time!) with the apple bread. Thank you again!

Belinda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1369

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review