All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup
      #485 - 02/06/03 09:19 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I figured I would go ahead and submit one of my favorite soup recipes - I made it again last night and we gobbled it up! I love cabbage, and since it cooks for so long in the soup, it doesn't bother my tummy at all. Feel free to adjust/substitute at will! It works fine if you split in half as well.

Sweet and Sour Cabbage Stew with Meatballs

2 medium onions
2 Tbs. olive oil
14 1/2 oz. canned whole tomatoes
1 large head green cabbage
5 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs. tomato paste
1 1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. paprika
black pepper
dash hot pepper sauce

Mince 12 ounces peeled onion. Heat oil in large pot. When hot, add onion and cook til soft, about 5 minutes. Drain liquid from tomatoes into pot. Coarsely chop tomatoes. Cut cabbage into I-inch chunks. Add tomatoes, cabbage, stock, sugar, lemon juice, tomato paste, salt, allspice, paprika, black pepper and hot sauce to pot. Bring to boil,
then cover and simmer 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make meatballs. When soup has cooked 30 minutes drop in meatballs and simmer uncovered until cooked, about 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning as well as sugar and lemon juice balance. Serve hot.

Meatballs

1 lb. ground turkey or chicken (white meat, no skin)
1-cup fresh bread crumbs
2 Tbs. onion
1/3 cup soy or rice milk
scant tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried tarragon
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
black pepper

Combine turkey/chicken, bread crumbs, minced onion, soy milk, salt, spices, and pepper in bowl (or food processor). Shape into 36 small balls, using about 1 tablespoon of mixture for each.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Edited by Heather (12/27/03 04:12 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup new
      #486 - 02/06/03 09:44 PM
Trish

Loc: Australia

I can't eat red meat, would chicken substituted be ok?

Sounds delicious! But I'd substitute for the red meat... new
      #487 - 02/06/03 10:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Instead of the chuck try ground skinless chicken breast or TVP (textured vegetable protein), a soy product that works fantastically as a replacement for ground beef. Meat is just a huge trigger for so many folks with IBS, it doesn't hurt to just avoid it completely. I'd use soy or rice milk to replace the dairy, too.

Do you serve this over rice or with bread? It seems almost a bit Russian in flavor - maybe potatoes would be great with it?

My husband adores sweet and sour cabbage, so I am definitely going to make this soup!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Sounds delicious! But I'd substitute for the red meat... new
      #493 - 02/07/03 05:15 AM
steather

My bad! I forgot so many people with IBS can't eat red meat....definitely, definitely substitute using chicken or TVP...It would even taste great without the meat! If you weren't using meat, then I would serve over rice or bulk it up with potatoes as Heather suggests...

--------------------
Heather

Re: Origin of soup new
      #494 - 02/07/03 05:29 AM
steather

I actually do not know the origin of the soup, as I received it thru email....however, one of the reasons I like it is that it tastes alot like the soups that my boyfriend's mom makes (They are Cambodian, and they literally live off soup)....The only difference is her soups use alot more Asian ingredients (I have fallen in love with fish sauce and oyster sauce in my cooking). There are only a couple of her recipes that my boyfriend and I have successfully duplicated...one is a wonderful pineapple tomato soup with cabbage and chicken, and the other is a very simple rice noodle dish with oyster sauce and chicken. If anyone is interested in either of these recipes, let me know.

--------------------
Heather

#497 - 02/07/03 06:58 AM
shannon114

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Ireland

Hi there, i'd love the recipe for rice noodle dish with oyster sauce,have you got some recipes that are low fat,i need to loose weight.Prior to knowing that my problems were
ibs i cooked chinese dishes a lot,i really love that food but am a little afraid to mess things up now that i am doing so well on soluable food,i wonder can i make these dishes soluable.Very much appreciated for the info and thank you.
Tina.

#587 - 02/08/03 02:51 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Tina -Heather has a lot of Asian/Oriental recipes in her cookbook. I've tried a few and they're great. Do you have her book? If not, better buy one. All the recipes are figured out for you with calories, fat, etc., and all are IBS safe. How much easier can they get?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#599 - 02/09/03 06:41 AM
shannon114

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Ireland

Thank's again Sharon,I will be sending for the book next week.A friend of a friend came accross Heather's site and sent for the IBS book,she loaned it to me and this is how i started to change to soluable food and what a difference it has made,i am ibs(c).I can't wait to get the cook book but i know we don't have the same food products here in Ireland but i don't think that will be a problem as the help is here when substitute is needed.Thanks a mill.
Tina.

Re: Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup /Is this really ok for the tummy?? new
      #620 - 02/10/03 08:12 AM
advantagelee12

Reged: 02/01/03

It sounds delicious and I love cabbage and miss it so much. But when I eat it now, it destroys my stomach. Are you sure this doesn't bother your stomach, because I miss my cabbage and would love to try this. Also , is there alot of fiber in cabbage???

Re: Cooking the cabbage till very, very tender is the key... new
      #627 - 02/10/03 11:26 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

That will really minimize both the sulfur and the effects of the insoluble fiber. When veggies are cooked till they're super tender, they tend to be very well-tolerated. I'd also serve this soup over white rice, or pasta, or with big slices of white bread so you get a good soluble fiber base.

I actually really prefer cabbage to lettuce because I can cook it, and then it doesn't bother me. Lettuce I'd have to eat raw, and that is just so much more difficult...

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 421 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 48142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review