All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup /Is this really ok for the tummy?? new
      #638 - 02/10/03 02:55 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

This soup definitely doesnt hurt my tummy...I make sure and let it simmer for a long time...Just like Heather said, cooking the cabbage, or any veggies for that matter for a long time should help make them more tolerable, as it tends to break down the insoluble fiber and make it easier to digest. I love cabbage too...and I find that soup is pretty much the only way I can tolerate it. I definitely cannot handle it raw - any lettuce or green leafy vegetable raw really tears me up. I have pretty much had to cut out lettuce from my diet entirely... even when I eat it at the end of a meal with plenty of soluble fiber, I get heavy gas (which I guess is better than the nono-stop cramping and diarrhea that would ensue if I ate it at the beginning)...but still, it's pretty intolerable.

Hope you like the soup...
chemegurrl

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Origin of soup new
      #644 - 02/10/03 08:00 PM
Trish

Loc: Australia

can I have a copy of the chicken with oyster sauce too!!!

Re: Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup new
      #1108 - 02/19/03 07:57 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Cheme...I have all the ingredients ready for tomorrow. I'm using ground turkey instead of beef but the rest will be the same. Is this soup or stew? Anyway, my mom used to make Sweet and sour rolled cabbage (stuffed with ground beef) and it was everybody's favorite. I['m hoping this is similar in flavor. I takes so long to make the stuffed cabbage the way she used to, so maybe this'll take its place. I'm hoping. I'll let you know how it turns out. Can't wait!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1155 - 02/20/03 02:42 PM
SharonMello

Cheme...I made the soup this morning. I added about 1/2 c more brown sugar because it reminded me more of my Mom's recipe that way and I can't smell and so my taste is quite off and I prefer stronger sweet/sour flavors. It was great. I cooked the bejeebies out of the cabbage and had a taste at lunch...one turkeyball and cabbage and juice and no gas. What a treat! Will serve it over white rice tonight for dinner.

Thanks for the recipe. It's much easier to make than the meat inside cabbage leaves.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#1222 - 02/22/03 07:45 AM
SharonMello

Trish - I substituted ground turkey (lean) for the ground beef and it turned out great. The whole dish was great (I added extra sugar so that it reminded me on what my Mom used to make). My husband loved it too.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup - MADE IT AGAIN...I LOVE IT! new
      #3491 - 03/20/03 04:57 PM
SharonMello

Chemegurrl - this is one of the greatest recipes ever! I had it made by 8:am this morning and had the rest of the day to do whatever because dinner was done. When I came home around 3 pm I turned it on again, adjusted the sweetness and let it cook for about 2 hrs. I had 1.22 lb of very lean ground turkey and it made 49 meatballs (about 1.25" dia). Now i have enough to have tonight for dinner and freeze the rest for some other time.

Thanks again. BTW, where've you been? Haven't seen any posts from you. Been busy at school?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#4636 - 03/31/03 12:56 PM
steather

Hi Sharon! I am currently in my senior semester of chemical engineering...tough stuff! So ya, I haven't had nearly as much time to check the boards as I would like....plus I never get to cook! It's not fair! But anyhow, I'm so glad you liked the soup/stew (its more of a stew, but I usually add more liquid to make it more soupy...personal preference!!)...and after reading your message, I'm totally going to make this with turkey...I love ground turkey. When you made it early in the day, did you just let it sit in the pot? That would definitely be a time-saver to prepare ahead of time.

Sorry for the VERY delayed response.
-chemegurrl

--------------------
Heather

#4653 - 03/31/03 03:20 PM
SharonMello

Chemegurrl - Yep, I made it in the morning because that's when I have most of my energy and I let it cool in the pot on the stove and then reheated it again around 4:30 pm and so it was hot for dinner. I made so much that I ended up putting half in the freezer for another time--and that time is getting near...I can feel it! Thanks, again, for the great recipe.

The turkey works out great. I think I made around 49 balls the last time. It seems that the grocery store likes to put about 1.17 lbs of meat in each pkg. I couldn't find one with less than 16 oz. So I just made a lot.

Geez, chemical engineering. That's beyond me. What does a chemical engineer do?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup - and a little about me new
      #4726 - 03/31/03 09:15 PM
steather

Hey Sharon--

Thanks, next time I make it, I'm going to use turkey for sure. I too find that meat in the supermarket comes in pretty large quantities, I guess you could always try splitting it in half and freezing the rest.... but if you're happy with 49 balls, then I'm happy!

So a chemical engineer is probably the most multifaceted of all engineers...can do anything from designing a chemical plant (blech, I am in the middle of designing an ethanol plant using landfill trash as a starting product...) to designing better materials for things like artificial organs (theres always a need for more natural materials that your body won't attack or possibly reject) to cleaning up water, pollution, etc. They can work in the food industry (think M&Ms, all the different colors in huge batch reactors), in the pharmaceutical idustry, or they can go on to become doctors, lawyers....

Hmm, to tell you the truth, though currently I haven't a clue what I want to do. Since I live in AZ, the normal track for chemEs with bachelors is to work at Intel or Motorola (did you know Phoenix is considered silicon desert?? Interesting tid bit I worked at Intel for one summer, and boy did my IBS flare! Too much stress, too long of work hours, and not to mention, i really dont see how helping to make computer chips run faster fits into the bigger picture (don't get me wrong, I LOVE my computer...)

Lately I've become really stressed (more so than usual, especially since I graduate soon) trying to figure out if all the hard work is worth it, and if I'll find a job I truly love, yadda yadda.... I just hope that somewhere I find something I truly enjoy that makes a difference. Who knows, I might end up being one of the few people with doctorates in chemical engineering teaching high school chemistry. LOL!

Thanks for your inquiry...

-Chemegurrl

--------------------
Heather

Question for chemegurrl new
      #10561 - 06/02/03 11:50 PM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

I was just wondering about your soup recipe that you had posted and I only saw it when Mags2003 put all the recipes together. It looks so Good!! It says 14 1/2 oz canned whole tomatoes is that 14 of them. I know this may be a really stupid question or how many cans of Tomatoes.
Georgette

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 48127

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review