All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GROUND TURKEY CHINESE SPRING ROLLS (baked not fried)
      #39500 - 01/21/04 01:06 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I started looking after reading a thread by Gretchen & Heidi..........

Not sure everyone can handle the bok choy... I guess sub what is safe for YOU.? I'm sure you could come up with your own filling and just cook them the same way.

Let me know if anyone makes them..... I'll do the same!

GROUND TURKEY CHINESE SPRING ROLLS

1 lb. Ground Turkey (I would use breast)
1 lg. clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
2 c. thinly sliced bok choy
1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions
2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. dry sherry or rice wine
1 tsp. sesame oil
8 sheets phyllo pastry
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. In medium nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, saute turkey, garlic and ginger 4 to 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink. Drain thoroughly.

3. In medium bowl combine turkey mixture, bok choy, onions, soy sauce, sherry and oil.

4. On clean, dry counter, layer phyllo sheets into a stack and cut into 2 (18x7 inch) rectangles. Work with one rectangle of phyllo at a time. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp cloth following package instructions.)

5. Coat rectangle of phyllo with nonstick cooking spray. On counter, arrange phyllo sheet so 7 inch side is parallel to counter edge. Place 1/4 cup of turkey mixture in 5 inch strip, 1 inch away from bottom and side edges of phyllo. Fold 1 inch bottom edge of phyllo over filling and fold longer edges of phyllo toward center; roll up, jelly-roll style. Phyllo may break during rolling, but will hold filling once the roll is completed.

6. Repeat step 5 with remaining rectangles of phyllo to make remaining spring rolls. On 2 (10x15 inch) cookie sheets coated with nonstick cooking spray, place rolls, seam-side-down, and coat tops of rolls with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until all surfaces of rolls are golden brown.

7. Serve immediately with Chinese mustard, hoisin sauce and additional soy sauce, if desired. Makes 16 spring rolls.

web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bok choy? new
      #39648 - 01/21/04 08:31 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Okay, I'm showing my ignorance here... but what's bok choy??

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Bok choy? new
      #39651 - 01/21/04 08:45 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Bok Choy is chinese cabbage....and thanks to my favorite food reference site, the cook's thesaurus, you can see a picture at web page

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#39652 - 01/21/04 08:48 PM
steather

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it's yummy too! If you cook it up real good, and can tolerate it

--------------------
Heather

#39656 - 01/21/04 08:58 PM
Kree

Hey, thanks steather! A picture and everything. Cabbage scares me, though... I'll have to feel really adventurous to try that!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#39657 - 01/21/04 08:59 PM
Kree

By the way, isn't that a different picture? I like it! You can see more of your beautiful smile!

--------------------

#39665 - 01/21/04 11:15 PM
steather

Awww, thanks, I think I kind of look like I'm squinting painfully I like your new one alot too, so I guess that means we're "aging" nicely, eh? Hehe

--------------------
Heather

#39691 - 01/22/04 08:00 AM
Kree

Hey, it's hard to find outdoor picture where we aren't squinting, isn't it? And yes, we're definitely aging well! Lol.

--------------------

The Keystone Cops make dinner new
      #328830 - 04/25/08 07:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

First let me say - these are really good. Bok choy at my local grocery stores was expensive or sad or both, so I used savoy cabbage and celery instead - 3 parts cabbage to 1 part celery. The filling was super-simple to make. Then I started to assemble the little guys.

Apparently my phyllo dough had been around for too long because the sheets were firmly stuck to each other at the folds. The kitchen looked like a ticker tape parade by the time I finished - shreds of phyllo everywhere. Also, forget folding the ends under like a jelly roll - I'm just not that coordinated. By the time these got to the table, Joe looked at them and said, "Oh, look. Burritos made from ancient Oriental parchments." Yes, we're still married - and next time I'll use phyllo dough that hasn't been in the freezer for over a year.

Nonetheless they were yummy and nicely different - ground turkey that wasn't a burger or a meatloaf or a spaghetti sauce. I made a half recipe (thank goodness - I shredded so much phyllo I wouldn't have been able to make a whole one) and we had them for dinner. The only condiment I offered was soy sauce (because it was the only one I had) and I served Asian Rice (I'll post the recipe in a minute). That went very nicely but I think a plain white rice would do just as well.

A really great thing about these is that you can make the filling ahead. You can even make the Spring Rolls ahead, put them on the cookie sheet, cover them with a damp kitchen towel, and put them in the fridge until it's time to cook them. Which is a good thing because you don't want to be wrestling that phyllo dough when there are starving hordes waiting for their spring rolls.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: The Keystone Cops make dinner new
      #328856 - 04/25/08 12:41 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

your hubby is funny! i'm glad you liked them... I still have not tried these yet.... maybe in my new BIG kitchen once we get moved in!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13508

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review