All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
HANSOLO - Recipe for Caramel Syrup
      #3874 - 03/23/03 06:12 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Han - I was thinking of you today because I was experimenting with hot fudge sauce recipes and I decided to look up in one of my old recipe books for you for caramel syrup and guess what I found? Right and here it is:

Caramel Syrup

put 1 c sugar in a heavy skillet over low heat. Stir constantly until it has melted to a brown liquid. When it bubbles over the entire surface, remove from heat and very slowly add 1/4 c very hot water, stirring constantly for 8-10 minutes over very low heat. Pour into container, and cool to keep for later use. If the syrup hardens in container, place the container in hot water until the syrup melts. If a thinner syrup is desired, add more water.

Are you going to try it? Let me know if you do and how it turned out. I love hot fudge and caramel mixed together on my dessert! OMG, I want a hot fudge/caramel sundae, BAD!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HANSOLO - Recipe for Caramel Syrup new
      #3909 - 03/24/03 05:59 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

You are the best. Question - doesn't the sugar burn if you put it in the skillet alone? Doesn't it need liquid before you turn it on? Amateur Chef here. And yes, I will try it - the kind I bought in the stores that I THOUGHT was dairy free had "Modified Milk Ingredients" Ooh - maybe we can come up with some sort of chocolate thing with caramel sauce ... wait... I'm onto something here. But I might need your help. I'll type back later. Hugs.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: HANSOLO - Recipe for Caramel Syrup new
      #3911 - 03/24/03 06:25 AM
SharonMello

HS - Nope - the recipe says dry pan but I'd use a nonstick. If I get a chance, I;ll try it too.

Sharon (O)

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Don't use nonstick... new
      #3942 - 03/24/03 12:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You need a heavy, dry, plain metal saucepan. No water, no oil, nothing. You're just melting dry sugar into caramel, and as long as you don't have the heat too high you can't go wrong. If you melt the sugar with any liquid in there, you'll have to brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystallization.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3947 - 03/24/03 12:44 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

this sounds soooooooo good! does anyone know what you can put this fudge on?ie cake, ect

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#3973 - 03/24/03 03:08 PM
SharonMello

Angela - you can put it on anything youu want, as long as it's ibs safe. It's especially good on chocolate cake that doesn't have frosting on it. I make Heathers Chocolate Peppermint cake w/o the peppermint and w/o the topping and it's good on that. My husband said it's also good on his ice cream (the dirty rat eats it in front of me!!!!)

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3974 - 03/24/03 03:09 PM
SharonMello

H - why can't you use nonstick? I don't have any pans/pots that are not nonstick? Do I have to go out and buy one just to make this stuff?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: sharon new
      #3978 - 03/24/03 03:37 PM
ConcreteAngel

lol, sharon you are always so funny! My brother does the same thing with food. He'll eat chocolate ice cream, cheestake, you know it, right in front of me. I dont mind though, sometimes i'll make myseld a hot fudge sundae or a greesy double bacon cheeseburger, and then tease myself by giving it to my brother. lol. thanks for the suggestions, shar-

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: sharon new
      #4039 - 03/25/03 08:14 AM
SharonMello

Angela - how can you make a cheeseburger and then give it away??/ I sure would have a hard time with that. Only a good sissy would do that for her bro!

That reminds me of last night. We met some friends for a quick dinner and they wanted to go to this "local greasy spoon" PJ's. I knew there wouldn't be much there for me to eat, so I ordered a 7" personal vegetarian pizza w/no cheese. Well, the pizza oven wasn't on because the owner said he doesn't do enough business this time of year so I had to get a hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy (also a favorite meal of mine). Geez, I ate the whole thing (bread, gravy, mashed potatoes and turkey, and cranberry sauce). I was so stuffed. But, I drank two cups of mint tea--they supplied the hot water...I supplied the tea bags). KNow what??? I had to "go" when I got home, but I was fine after that!! Close call...whew!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: lol sharon.. -nt- new
      #4064 - 03/25/03 01:14 PM
ConcreteAngel

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7608

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review