All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Gefilte Fish, etc. for Ruchie and anybody else who wants to try...
      #3817 - 03/23/03 10:42 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Ruchie - Here are a few recipes I found in a Jewish Cookery section of an old recipe book:

Gefilte Fish

3 lbs. fresh fish (1 lb each of whitefish, pike and carp)
2 lg onions, peeled and sliced/diced
6 c water
2 carrots sliced
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 egg beaters or egg whites
6 tbsp ice water
1-1/2 tbsp matzo meal or cracker meal
Horseradish

Have fish filleted but reserve head, skin and bones. Please head, skin and bones (boy, this sounds awful!) in large dutch oven. Add onions, water, carrots, s/p. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer til fish is ready.

To Ready Fish:

Grind fish fillets finely. Put into bowl. Correct seasoning (I guess you have to do this while it's still raw). Add egg beaters/whites, ice water and matzo meal. Chop until mixture is smooth and well blended. With wet hands, shape fish mixture into balls about the size of a small baking potato. Place balls into fish stock carefully. Cover and simmer slowly for 1.5 hours. Remove cover during the last 30 minutes of cooking.

Cool fish slightly and place on a platter or put in a bowl. Strain stock over fish. Place carrots around fish. Chill. Serve w/horseradish. Makes 6 generous servings.

I remember my Mom making gefilte fish. The boys in the neighborhood used to go down to the creek in NJ and catch a carp or two and bring it to her. She would put it in a large tub of water (it was still alive, mind you) and let the water run slightly into the tub for a couple of days to purge any muddy taste from it. Are you ready for this??? Then, she would get a big claw hammer and bonk the poor little fish on the head a few times to do him in!!! I felt so sorry for the poor fish, but it sure tasted good when she had the gefilte fish all made!

Okay, here's another one:

Kartoffel Latkes (Potato Pancakes)

4 potatoes, peeled
1 tbsp grated onion
1 egg beater or egg white
1/3 c all purp flour
3/4 tsp salt

Grate peeled potatoes finely. There should be about 3 cups grated. Squeeze out some of the moisture in the potatoes. Add onion, egg, flour and salt. Beat until well blended.

Spray nonstick skilled with cooking spray and drop batter by heaping tbsp into pan and flatten. Fry until crisp on both sides. Remove pancakes and drain on absorbent paper (probably don't have to do this using cooking spray--directions were for 1/2" fat or oil in pan to fry...yuk!)

Serve hot with applesauce or fruit preserves or just sprinkled with granulated sugar. Makes 4 servings.

Pickled Pumpkin

2 lbs pumpkin
1 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp salt

Remove skin and cut pumpkin into small wedges. Combine brown sugar, vinegar, allspice and salt. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Add pumpkin and continue simmering until tender. Spoon mixture into sterilized glass jars. Seal. Makes about 1.5 pints.

Pickled Green tomatoes

48 small green tomatoes
salt
water
dill
garlic cloves
1 tbsp pickling spice
1 c cider vinegar

Wash tomatoes and leave whole. Do not remove stem end. Put into a brine solution made by adding 1 c salt to each 4 c water. Let stand overnight. Drain. Arrange tomatoes in a large crock or earthenware bowl. Layer tomatoes w/sprigs of fresh dill and seed heads. Place 1 clove garlic on each layer of tomatoes. Tie pickling spices in cheesecloth bag. Add vinegar, spices and 6 qts water to tomatoes. Make sure all tomatoes are covered by lacing a weighted cover on them to keep them under liquid. Cover loosely w/cheesecloth. Let stand for 2 weeks. Then pack into sterilized jars with liquid covering them. Store in a cool place for later use.

Makes 48 tomatoes.

Lokshen Kugel (Noodle Pudding)

1/2 lb broad non-egg noodles, cooked and drained and sprayed with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
3 egg whites
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c raisins (if tolerated)
1/2 c ground nuts (if tolerated)

Spray noodles with butter spray. Blend in spices, sugar and salt. Beat egg whites til stiff but not dry and fold in. Pour into greased (Pam spray) 1.5 qt baking dish, adding one third of mixture at a time, alternating with raisins and nuts, if desired.

Bake in preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes or until set. Serve hot with or without any desired pudding sauce. Makes 6 servings.

Note: This is often varied with the addition of apples, chopped dried fruits, etc.

Meat Kreplach (Dumplings)

2 c sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg beaters or whites
2-3 tbsp cold water
meat filling (chicken/turkey)

Sift flour w/salt and make a well in the center of the sifted flour. Add eggs and water. Mix w/hands until dough becomes a compact ball. Knead on a lightly floured board until smooth and elastic. Let stand for 1 hr. Roll out on lightly floured board as this as possible. With sharp knife, cut dough into 2 inchh squares. Top each square with small ball of meat filling (below). Moisten edges of dough, bring opposite corners together, and press firmly to shape a triangle. Then bring the other two opposite corners together to form caplike kreplach. Drop kreplach, one at a time, into boiling salted water. Simmer slowly for 15-20 min. Kreplach will rise to the top of the water when done. Serve w/gravy or in chicken soup. Makes 2 to 3 dozen.

Meat Filling

Mix 1.5 c finely ground chicken or turkey with 1 egg beater or well beaten egg white and 1 tsp grated onion. Shape mixture into small balls about the size of a small olive.

Okay,

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gefilte Fish, etc. for Ruchie and anybody else who wants to try... new
      #3821 - 03/23/03 10:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Shandela,

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xoxox

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3832 - 03/23/03 12:22 PM
SharonMello

Ruchie - I made the substitutions as I saw fit so I hope everything turns out okay. Let me (us) know, please, okay?

I have more recipes and they're categorized by holiday. Here are the categories:

Passover, Sukkot, Shevout, Purim. I also have a challah recipe for the bread machine (I didn't get up to look but I think it's in there). If you want any more recipes, just let me know.

Shandela

--------------------
Sharon

#3872 - 03/23/03 06:00 PM
Snow for Sarala

Shandela,

You're the GREATEST! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Attn. Ruchie, Sharon, & Co.! new
      #5063 - 04/03/03 07:41 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey! I came across this book at the library and I thought you might be interested.

Secrets of Fat-Free Kosher Cooking: Over 150 Low-Fat and Fat-Free Traditional and Contemporary Recipes from Matzoh Balls to Kugel By Deborah Bernstein

"Secrets of Fat-Free Kosher Cooking begins with a brief introduction to the laws of kosher cooking, and then guides you through some nutrition basics. It then shows how the use of low-fat ingredients coupled with appropriate cooking methods can turn once high-fat foods into delicious low-fat alternatives. This exciting collection includes such kosher classics as plump pierogen and knishes, crisp potato latkes, and old fashioned chicken soup complete with fluffy matzoh balls. Choose from a wide variety of hearty chulents and kugels, as well as dessert classics like prune-filled hamantaschen, creamy cheese blintzes, and sweet honey cake. There is even an amazing recipe for low-fat challah - the traditional bread of the Sabbath and holidays."

#5064 - 04/03/03 07:55 PM
Snow for Sarala

MAGS!!!!!!!!

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH for thinking of us--hopefully I'll be going to the library this Sunday and I'll look for this book--it sounds delicious! How are things with you these day? Hope you're doing well!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5085 - 04/04/03 03:42 AM
*Melissa*

Oh good! Let me know if you get it. I'm going to the library either today or tomorrow (by tomorrow for sure...my books are due! ) I get at least 1 or 2 cookbooks every time I go. (I always check what's in online before I go, & that's how I found your book.)

I'm doing well--thanks for asking! Hope you're doing well also.

Happy Friday!

Re: Attn. Ruchie, Sharon, & Co.! - YOU'RE TOO MUCH!! new
      #5345 - 04/07/03 04:24 PM
SharonMello

Mags - YOU JUST BOGGLE MY MIND!!! You should've been a PI (private investigator). I'll bet you could even find a needle in a haystack!!

I usually don't cook Jewish foods because I'm married to a goy (non-Yid). He'll eat fried motzah but wouldn't touch gefilte fish with a ten foot pole. Of course, I won't eat blood sausage either!!! I won't even kiss HIM after HE eats it!

Thanks for the info, tho. We have a local library in town but I doubt very much if they have this book. I might try in Sonora, tho or even just buy it so I have it when I feel like some Jewish food!

Thanks a lot, Mags. You certainly are a gem. Glad you're on our side.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Any time Sharon! :-) -nt- new
      #5367 - 04/07/03 06:45 PM
*Melissa*

#57515 - 04/03/04 11:07 AM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

Does anyone have IBS safe recipes for Passover? This is my first Passover with a diagnosis and i'd like it to be a safe and enjoyable holiday....

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10380

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review