All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For Kandee!
      #37795 - 01/15/04 06:14 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Kandee! I haven't forgotten about you. This is the best-looking IBS safe cream of chicken soup recipe I could find. I bet you could also add cooked chicken so it's not just broth, and maybe some celery or onion. Who knows. I hope this works for you!

Cream of Chicken Soup

1 cup soy or rice milk
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons soy margarine (I know you can't have soy margarine, so maybe you could use oil??)
2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper
1 egg white, at room temperature, slightly beaten

1. In a large saucepan, scald the soy milk.
2. Add the stock and heat through.
3. In a heavy frying pan, melt the margarine over low heat, add the flour and seasoning and stir.
4. Add a bit of the stock to the flour mixture, blend well, and pour back into the stock.
5. Add some of the warm stock to the bowl with the beaten egg white.
6. Stir to blend, then add the egg to the stock in the saucepan.
7. Serve immediately.

Adapted from a recipe by Rita P at www.recipezaar.com

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Kandee! new
      #37801 - 01/15/04 06:22 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

This looks good for me too -- you dom't know how many of my old casseroles and other recipes used cream of chicken soup.

#37819 - 01/15/04 08:10 PM
Kree

I've had that problem too! I did find a boxed organic mushroom soup that works well in place of cream of mushroom, but I haven't found anything pre-made for this one. I did find a dry cream soup mix that you might want to check out though! Here it is: web page

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#37877 - 01/16/04 07:19 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Thanks again! I printed that one out too.

#37887 - 01/16/04 08:03 AM
Kree

You're welcome!

--------------------

OMG,....this looks great!!!! A million thank yous..... new
      #38295 - 01/17/04 09:35 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Kristen,

I feel soooooo bad that I haven't thanked you before this, but for some reason the unread messages are NOT coming up in bold so I'm missing a lot of them....Wonder what's up with that?

This looks terrific...................and I'm trying this weekend!!!! I just knew YOU'D come thru...I'm going to use my own chicken stock but reduce it to quite and intense flavor..I may even try to bump up the creamyness of the rice milk with added dry Better than Milk (rice) powder. I do think I may play around with some added spices, onion powder for sure....maybe even a little paprika. I wouldn't have even given a thought to the use of the egg white here.

Again thank you so much...............YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!

Love ya, Kandee

--------------------

Cream of Chicken Soup new
      #121001 - 11/11/04 10:52 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

So, how did it turn out? I would love to know...this would make for a great base for leftover turkey to make soup!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Cream of Chicken Soup new
      #121073 - 11/11/04 02:39 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

So, how did it turn out? Have to admit I haven't tried it yet. Guess my craving for cream of chicken soup passed..but I still AM going to try it. I would love to know...this would make for a great base for leftover turkey to make soup!! I'd make turkey rice soup if it were me...with chopped onion/celery/carrots/herbs added. Any of this left over would freeze well too.

--------------------

Re: Cream of Chicken Soup new
      #121103 - 11/11/04 04:21 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Quote:

So, how did it turn out? Have to admit I haven't tried it yet. Guess my craving for cream of chicken soup passed..but I still AM going to try it. I would love to know...this would make for a great base for leftover turkey to make soup!! I'd make turkey rice soup if it were me...with chopped onion/celery/carrots/herbs added. Any of this left over would freeze well too. oh, good point once again!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

made this (sort of) new
      #282597 - 09/16/06 05:56 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I decided to give this a try, but when I did the fat calculations it was 53% calories from fat. Ouch.

Sooo ... I took out the margarine and flour. Instead, I measured out 1 C rice milk, mixed about 1/4 C cold with about 1 T cornstarch, and then mixed it back in with the rest of the milk. I poured it in a saucepan, added the chicken broth, and put it on high. I threw in 1/4 C uncooked rice, a bay leaf, a bit of thyme, some onion powder, salt, and pepper. Once it came to a boil, I let it boil for a few minutes and then turned it down to low and just left it alone until the rice was nice and mushy. (took a couple hours -- but I wasn't in any hurry.)

It turned out quite nice and very soothing to my tummy. A little bland but I am definitely in the market for bland right now. Good for when your stomach is unhappy and you think you'll scream if you have to eat potatoes again.

I completely forgot about that whole egg white bit until I went back to reply to this, so that didn't get put in.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 525 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5451

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review