All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Calories new
      #41279 - 01/27/04 01:14 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Hi Kree I am getting ready to go to FL to visit my daughter for 2 weeks.To help me stay safe I am taking lots of recipes w/me.I'd love to try your muffins.I am having trouble losing weight and was wondering if you or anyone can figure out what are the calorie and fat grams per muffin. Thanks,Suzy

Hi Suzy! Kandee just figured out that if you make 18 muffins they turn out to be 133 calories per muffin and only 18% fat. Sorry, I don't know how many grams that is!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh Kristen... new
      #41332 - 01/27/04 04:45 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

as you know Mags wanted to know how to figure out all the specs. I said I'd walk her thru it slowly. You want me to do the same for you? It's not rocket science, I promise. I can do it right here on line so everyone can see if you'd like, or in an email if you prefer. Just post (or send me a recipe), ANY recipe and we can take it from there.
Your choice....

--------------------

Re: Gingerbread Muffins with Lemon Glaze new
      #41349 - 01/27/04 05:53 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

These muffins are great!! This freezing cold weather has made me want to hibernate and EAT, so its great to have a new low fat comfort food for my moments of reckless apetite abandon! I did substitute canola oil for the butter and think I could have baked them for five minutes less. (I also only had dark molasses and only a bit under half a cup of that so that might have made a difference too), but loved them! I put the icing on half and think its a great touch! I love lemon anything! Thanks for the recipe.
Andie

Re: Oh Kristen... new
      #41362 - 01/27/04 07:14 PM
Kree

Okay Kandee, you're on! I'll post a test recipe in a new thread... some muffins I made tonight that I think are safe but it'll be nice to know for sure! I hope they are... they're soooo yummy.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Andie, I'm so glad you liked them! -nt- new
      #41363 - 01/27/04 07:14 PM
Kree

--------------------

A nice change for lazy cooks! new
      #45173 - 02/16/04 07:57 AM
Kree

It won't let me edit my original post because the time limit has expired, so I'm adding this here. I just wanted to let everyone know that Kandee made these in a 9x12-inch pan instead of muffin cups and she said it worked out great! She said you might need an additional 5 minutes or so of cook time. So if anyone is too lazy to use muffin tins you can just pour this into a dish! Thanks for the info Kandee!

--------------------

Kree's Gingerbread, "lazy-cook" style, and GF notes new
      #45279 - 02/16/04 10:17 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

You're so very welcome Kristen……

Some notes here for anyone that is interested:

1.) I used a greased: 13x9 x 2-inch – (14 to 15 cups) metal baking pan. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller.

2.) Increase the baking time 5-10 minutes. Gingerbread is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

For a GLUTEN FREE version: Use your favorite gluten free flour mix. (I keep a big jar of my own mix which is 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch flour and 1/3 cup tapioca flour, in the refrigerator for all my baking needs.) I swear, you CANNOT tell the difference between using wheat OR GF flours in this recipe because of all the spices.

Add 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum to this recipe.

My own changes just because I'm so lazy:

I like to buy natural applesauce in the ½ cup serving size multi-packs. For this recipe, instead of ¼ cup I used the entire ½ cup applesauce and used 1 cup water only, not the 1 and 1/3 cup as called for. I also reduced the ginger to 3 teaspoons. I've used both light and dark molasses in this recipe and can't see much of a difference. Both are fine.

I'm so addicted to this gingerbread I've resorted to making up zip plastic packages of the mixed dry ingredients and storing them in the refrigerator, so all I have to do is add the wet ingredients when I want to quickly whip up another pan of gingerbread. The only problem with making it up in a cake form and not muffins is PORTION CONTROL!!!
At least, with all that with all that ginger I'll stay nausea free!!!

Now, Kristen……………let's you and I talk about your "aiding and abetting" the addict. When I add a new picture and it closely resembles Miss Piggy, it's all your fault!!!!

--------------------

Miss Piggy! new
      #45297 - 02/17/04 06:29 AM
Kree

Quote:

I'm so addicted to this gingerbread I've resorted to making up zip plastic packages of the mixed dry ingredients and storing them in the refrigerator, so all I have to do is add the wet ingredients when I want to quickly whip up another pan of gingerbread. The only problem with making it up in a cake form and not muffins is PORTION CONTROL!!!
At least, with all that with all that ginger I'll stay nausea free!!!

Now, Kristen……………let's you and I talk about your "aiding and abetting" the addict. When I add a new picture and it closely resembles Miss Piggy, it's all your fault!!!!

Look on the bright side, Kandee... Miss Piggy is a celebrity! Maybe you'll get people asking for your autograph.

Seriously, though, there are a lot worse things you could be snacking on, right?? (Just trying to clear my conscience here, lol)

--------------------

#45413 - 02/17/04 02:54 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Is there anything to sub for the molasses? I want to make them but don't have it in the house!! thanks!

#46772 - 02/26/04 03:34 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

Is there anything to sub for the molasses? I want to make them but don't have it in the house!! thanks!

I know you probably don't still need this info (unless you haven't made it to the store yet ), but if you ever need to look up subs, check out www.foodsubs.com. It is a great cooking reference site. I use it all the time. Here's what they have for molasses:

molasses = treacle Pronunciation: muh-LASS-sis Equivalents: One cup = 8 ounces Notes: Sugar is made by extracting juice from sugar cane or sugar beets, boiling them, and then extracting the sugar crystals. Molasses is the thick, syrupy residue that's left behind in the vats. It has a sweet, distinctive flavor, and it's a traditional ingredient in such things as gingerbread, baked beans, rye bread, and shoofly pie. There are several different varieties. Light molasses = sweet molasses = mild molasses = Barbados molasses is taken from the first boiling. It's the sweetest and mildest, and is often used as a pancake syrup or a sweetener for beverages. Dark molasses = full molasses = full-flavored molasses is left behind after the juices are boiled a second time. It's less sweet but more flavorful than light molasses, and it's a good choice if a recipe simply calls for molasses. Blackstrap molasses comes from the third and final boiling. It's too strong and bitter for most recipes, and it's mostly consumed for its alleged nutritional benefits. Most of the molasses sold in supermarkets is unsulfured. Sulfured molasses has sulfur dioxide added as a preservative, and isn't as mild and sweet as unsulfured molasses. Food grade molasses is almost always made from sugar cane. Sugar beet molasses is very bitter and is mostly used as cattle feed or as a medium for growing yeast. When measuring molasses, grease the cup and utensils to keep molasses from sticking. If your molasses crystallizes while being stored, heat it gently to dissolve the crystals. After opening, you can store molasses in your cupboard. Substitutes: dark corn syrup OR maple syrup (works well in gingerbread cookies) OR honey OR barley malt syrup (weaker flavor; use 1/3 less) OR brown sugar (Substitute 1.5 cups brown sugar for every 1 cup molasses)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 170268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review