All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Baking recipe substitutes
      #353348 - 12/19/09 12:55 PM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Happy Holidays All!!! I was wondering if I could substitute 1/2 cup of oil in a cookie recipe for 1/2 applesauce? Im trying to do less fat cuz that seems like alot to me? Its actually a recipe posted here called "Italian Almond- Iced Cookies on the archive. :

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Baking recipe substitutes new
      #353349 - 12/19/09 01:13 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I don't see any reason why you can't. Applesauce works well in muffins and bread in place of oil. The only drawback might be that your cookies might end up a little more pancake (flatter than humped) looking after baking. The taste should be great, even so.

Perhaps try half oil and half applesauce on the first batch and see how you do.

Let us know. This is one I'd like a concrete answer to as well.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#353351 - 12/19/09 01:31 PM
linisue54

Doesnt 1/2 cup of oil seem like alot to you? Anyway, I was thinking of doing 1/4 oil and 1/4 applesauce. Thank you for responding and Happy Holidays!!!

Perhaps, maybe not... new
      #353353 - 12/19/09 05:52 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Hi again, Yes 1/2 cup of oil does seem like a lot, yet do remember that you are baking it into the finished goods and not eating it in a hot or cold dish meal. You didn't indicate how much flour was in the recipe, nor how many cookies the batch makes. If it makes 6 dozen or more, 1/2 cup of oil really is not unreasonable.

Bear in mind that baking with canola or other healthy oil is different from cooking meals with it.

You have a wonderful Christmas, and a blessed new year!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Perhaps, maybe not... new
      #353366 - 12/20/09 04:01 PM
linisue54

Thanks, I did make them last night with half oil and half applesauce and they came pretty hard texture. I didnt like them too much. I should have used all the all, but made them before I read your reply post. Thanks again, maybe I'll try again, or if you have a really good recipe, please post it.

#353374 - 12/20/09 05:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It will change the consistency to a little fluffier but it is worth trying! I used to make my trail mix cookies with some applesauce. The recipe is in the archives. I don't eat them anymore because I have an indoor job now.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review