All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How many grams of fat in IBS diet?
      #338562 - 11/25/08 02:10 PM
AliDemeritte

Reged: 10/14/08

How many grams of fat should a typical IBS have? I noticed I am constipated when I eat high fat foods, such as a typical serving of nuts. I eat the right fats (avacado, olive oil, flaxseed) but i don't think I can eat them without reacting. Should I space it throughout the day? How many grams per meal or snack do you recommend?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many grams of fat in IBS diet? new
      #338615 - 11/26/08 05:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You can get more help on the main board IBS Diet. But a simple rule of thumb for fat is to have about 25% of the calories you consume at one time to be from fat. You can start out with less but it is healthier to try to get about 25% eventually. You can use the nutrition facts charts to help at first and then you will be able to guesstimate the fat percentage in a meal or snack on your own.
This is how it is done. A gram of fat has 9 calories so 5 grams of fat is 45 calories. 5 grams (45 calories) out of a 100 calorie snack is almost half! So in a 100 calorie snack you could only safely eat around 2.5-3 grams of fat(25 percent or so). In 400 calorie meal you could eat about 10-11 grams of fat at one time.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1780

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review