All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
another question - thin-sliced apple in pie
      #318826 - 11/16/07 08:57 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

I'm so grateful for all of you who actually know things about cooking! Here's my latest question - I'm baking an apple pie for Thanksgiving, and I really love pies with layers of thin-sliced apples, rather than chunks. Will I need to change anything in my recipe or cooking time to compensate for this? I'm already doing a low-sugar recipe, just 1/4 cup or so in the pie. Will it be runny? Cook too fast or slow? Thanks so much!

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: another question - thin-sliced apple in pie new
      #318883 - 11/16/07 07:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I thin slice my apples for pie. I find it doesn't cook well enough if they are bigger. I have even still had pie that felt too crunchy. Anyway the pie is always done when the crust in brown (this is true for anything with a crust generally). So it should take the same amount of time. Factor in resting time too, this cooks it a little more and settles to prevent the seepage. I don't know about the sugar but my guess is it will be fine. I have been using honey crisp apples (go Minnesota!) in everything lately. Since they are so sugary they need less sugar in recipes. I can make applesauce without adding sugar and it is super sweet. So I suspect if you use a sweet but firm apple like honey crisp or pink lady your pie should work out great. Don't use golden delicious or jonagold or the other mushy ones like Cortland.
I will give you my super secret best apple pie recipe sans the crust recipe.
*Tamara's Apple Pie*

1 recipe pie crust
1c. sugar (normally very sweet, should be fine with 1/2c)
2T. flour
1t. cinnamon
1/4t. salt
6c. thinly sliced apples (about 4 large apples)
1T. lemon juice
2T. butter, cut into pieces margarine

Preheat oven to 425º. In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, apples and lemon juice. Toss to mix well. Spoon mixture into 9 inch pie pan with pie pastry. Dot with butter. Place top pie pastry over with a few cut out holes for steam to escape. Flute edges with right pointer finger and left finger and thumb. Place pie on a baking sheet because it tends to drip over. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. I never have problems with the edges browning too much with my pastry recipe and I tend to turn over the excess pastry along the edges so it is very thick.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: another question - thin-sliced apple in pie new
      #318912 - 11/17/07 08:52 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

Thanks, LM! So glad you're here.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

you're welcome! -nt new
      #318917 - 11/17/07 10:07 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3518

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review