Loc: iowa

Crust:
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking powder
1/2 cup safflower oil

Filling:
2-12 oz packages silken tofu, extra firm ( I used the lite version)
1/2 cup sugar
1T vanilla
1/2 t coconut extract
1/4 t almond extract
1/2 C toasted coconut
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/3 cup almonds, roughly chopped

Begin by preparing the crust. In a medium bowl place the flour, salt, and baking powder, and stir well to combine. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the safflower oil into the dry ingredients to form a crumbly mixture. Transfer the mixture to an 8 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using your hands, firmly press the crust mixture to cover the bottom and sides of the tart pan. Place the tart pan on a non stick cookie sheet and set aside.
To prepare the filling, in a blender place the tofu, sugar, vanilla, coconut and almond extract, and process for 2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Place 3 T of the toasted coconut in a small bowl and set aside. Add the remaining toasted coconut, chocolate chips, and almonds, and pulse 2-3 times to combine. Pour the filling mixture into the reserved crust.
Bake the tart pan on the cookie sheet at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven, sprinkle the reserved toasted coconut over the top of the filling, and allow the tart to cool for 15-20 minutes, before removing the ring from the tart pan. Allow the tart to cool completely before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.
This is also from the vegan chef online. Is the safflower oil too much in the crust?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chocolate Chunk, almond, and coconut cream tart new
      #31200 - 12/10/03 05:27 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I think the fat content between the crust, the coconut, and the almonds sounds like alot. What's the fat content on vegan chocolate chips?

#31207 - 12/10/03 06:39 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03

The total fat is 3.5% and the saturated fat is 15%. Any suggestions on how to modify this?
Thanks,
Joan

#31324 - 12/11/03 09:53 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I don't see a way to modify it...hopefully someone else will.

#31441 - 12/11/03 03:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - If you start with a graham cracker crust, that will eliminate a lot of fat right off the bat. The fat in the filling is coming from the chocolate chips, coconut, and almonds, so see if you can get the total for these ingredients down to 1/2 cup. My guess is you could eliminate the coconut altogether since you're using coconut extract. Then you could use 1/4 cup each of the chocolate chips and chopped almonds.

You could slightly increase the coconut and almond extracts to punch up the flavor.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#31653 - 12/12/03 08:30 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03

Thanks Heather. I had been thinking about the graham cracker crust too. The filling suggestions are really helpful. This is a creamy sweet dessert so I appreciate the help making it edible.
Joan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review