Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Excellent recipe for Honey Oatmeal Bread for the bread machine new
      #304209 - 04/06/07 06:51 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello,
I would think you could do it the old-fashioned way, but I am not exactly sure how. I know it will need to rise at certain times. I will look in some cookbooks for other bread recipes and see if I can come up with an old-fashioned version. You might want to get a bread maxhine. You can make so many sf breads, pizza crusts, and rolls...and it does all the work!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#304223 - 04/07/07 07:42 AM
meimei

Hi Angel!
I checked out making the bread without a machine. My machine's instruction manual breaks it down as to how it bakes each cycle...so here goes!

1. 1st knead=7 min.
2. rest=5 min.
3. 2nd knead=12 min.
4. 1st rise=40 min.
5. Punch down
6. 2nd rise=26 min.
7. Punch down & put in bread pan (bread machine pan is not spryed/oiled)
8. 3rd rise=60 min.
9. Bake=50 min.
10. Cool=20 min.

I checked other bread recipes to find out the temp at which to bake it. I would say 350 would be fine (maybe 375). It sure sounds like a lot of work doing it the old-fashioned way! I hope it works!
MeiMei

#304259 - 04/07/07 05:34 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

The thing is some bread machines keep the dough at a certain temperature to ensure rising in the specified time. I would do what the bread machine sais, but when it sais "rise", I'd put the dough in the oven, after I have warmed it up. I usually do that with dough, so it can rise faster and so it won't develop the kind of crust you don't want around while kneading it.

#304264 - 04/07/07 06:21 PM
meimei

Hi! Keeping it warm sounds like a great idea! I know my machine seems to always feel warm during the cycles. If you really wanted to get a machine but didn't want to spend a lot, maybe you could get one at a second hand shop. Sometimes people buy them thinking they will use them all the time, but end up never using them. My friend recently got one for $6, and it was brand new!
MeiMei

#304293 - 04/08/07 05:27 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

MeiMei, Thanks for taking the time to look up that information for me. Also now I try and find a second hand store. Also is one brand different from the other in purchaning a bread maching?????
Thanks again your great

#304297 - 04/08/07 06:48 PM
meimei

Hi Angel,
Thanks...you're great too! I have a GoldStar. I have had it for years. This is my second one. I made the bread for Easter dinner at my folk's house, and everybody loved it! It disappeared fast! I hope you can try it soon...and good luck finding a machine. I think they all are about the same.
MeiMei

#304301 - 04/08/07 08:30 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

As long as you don't get one that claims to make bread too fast, you should be good. There are lots of super expensive fancy machines out there, but I would think you don't need all the bells and whistles.

I had a terrible experience with West Bend's Just for dinner breadmaker (it's a small machine, since there's just me and my hubby, I thought that would be great), because it tries to make the bread too quickly, namely in 45 minutes. The yeast doesn't have time to work out and the bread tastes really yeasty (not to mention, to have the bread risen enough, you have to use like 3 times the yeast you'd otherwise put in bread).

I have an Oster Breadmaker model 5838 (another low cost brand) and I find it OK. The bread is tasty Especially the 100% whole wheat that my husband adores (well, he doesn't have IBS, thankfully). It saves a lot of time and effort, and you don't have to do cleanup either. That's the best thing, my kitchen is not all flour after I have made bread, LOL.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6967

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review