All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cherry Almond Scones
      #297967 - 01/24/07 07:21 PM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

I adopted this recipe from the book Vegan With a Vengence by Isa Moskowitz. She provides a basic scones recipe but I thought cherry-almond would be a good twist. Also, I increased the sugar b/c I could not taste it in the first batch I made.

Cherry Almond Scones
Makes 16 scones

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar (the book calls for 1/4 cup, which to me was too little, so adjust to taste) plus 1 teaspoon for sprinkling the tops
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1 and 1/4 cup of soy milk or rice milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chopped cherries (I used frozen--defrosted them first and chopped them up in a food processor
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds (I grinded them in the food processor)

Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. In a small bowl combine the apple cider vinegar to the rice or soy milk and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and almonds. Add the oil, soured soy or rice milk, almond extract, and cherries. Mix until just combined; the dough should be clumpy and not sticky. Even if there is still a light dusting of flour, that is okay.
Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto the lightly greased cookie sheet and pat the tops just a bit to round them out; sprinkle with a bit of sugar. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until slightly browned on the bottom and firm on top.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

mmm these sound good n/t new
      #297973 - 01/24/07 07:53 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Cherry Almond Scones new
      #298143 - 01/26/07 08:56 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

This sounds great! MMmm

If I want to ommit the cheries, should I change anything in the recipe?

You said it was originally plain, so the cheries must not have been there.

#298159 - 01/26/07 12:22 PM
Sufie

Hi Jeio,

Omitting the cherries should be no problem at all and the recipe will still turn out great. Just so you know, you can add 1 cup of just about anything you want to this recipe and the scones should still turn out perfect.

Happy baking!

Sufie

#298163 - 01/26/07 12:49 PM
Jeio

Thanks!!!

Cool, then I can add some other fruit, mmmmm Not that I don't like cheries, I just don't have any on hand (and haven't seen in the grocery store, so I'm not sure if I could find).

Awesome. I've always wanted to make scones... and never had a recipe. Thanks a lot!!!

--J

Mmmm, this IS great new
      #298180 - 01/26/07 03:28 PM
Jeio

Thanks Sufie!

I'm keeping this one.

--J

Re: Mmmm, this IS great new
      #298216 - 01/26/07 10:31 PM
Sufie

That's great!I am so glad you liked them. What fruit did you use to make them? Just interested--would like to know if you found another good combo besides cherries and almonds. By the way, you can always find cherries in the frozen section of the grocery store. They are just as good to me.

#298229 - 01/27/07 05:19 AM
Jeio

LOL, I figured the almond essence would not go with any other fruit but cheries, so I just used more almonds(the more ones were not ground up, but rather sliced). They came out nice Have a little more almond taste in them. I used almost 1/2 cup of sugar and the sugar content was good, I think 1/3 would be too little.

They are great though. It reminds me of the things my grandma used to make for Easter. They were called Easter Kurabiiki (no idea how to translate that), but they had WAAY too many eggs (and you can't just replace them with egg whites, because they don't come out right... at least I think they don't)...

Plus they use real yoghurt, which you can hardly find in the US. Even the greek Fage yoghurt (which is real, but strained), even if you mix it with water -- it's not sour enough to react with the baking powder or soda (in granny's recipe). I haven't tried to leave it stay to see if it will become more sour... maybe I should. I never thought of using vinegar to sour milk. Cool idea!

Thank you so much for the recipe!

About the cheries, well, that's what I meant, I haven't seen frozen cheries in our grocery store... I have to check again... If they don't have them, then I'll go to the "expensive" grocery store, where they have all kinds of fancy items, LOL.

#298389 - 01/29/07 09:37 AM
Jeio

Oh, btw, I tried this recipe again, this time with orange extract and orange rind instead of almond extract and almonds. Again -- awesome results. I still need to figure out the exact proportions, but basically I took one orange and grated its rind on the grater (similar to how to get lemon rind) instead of peeling it and chopping up the whole peel (don't like that method, you end up with a lot of bitter peel) and put it in...

Also, I made a glaze of orange rind, orange juice and 1 cup of powdered sugar.

Well, they don't taste like Au Bon Pain's orange scones, but they sure are more IBS friendly and just healthier (have you seen the nutrition data for those orange scones? They have so much saturated fat!)

Sufie, thank you so much!! I love that recipe. Next time I will try to add some mandarin oranges (from a can) too!

#298453 - 01/29/07 08:39 PM
Sufie

This is an awesome combination! Great job! Again, I am so happy to see that you lovethe recipe. Makes posting it really worth it! You may really like the book I adopted it from. I have not tried any of her other recipes yet but I will let you know if there is something that is worth sharing.

By the way, right now I have some scones in the oven...I made them with a 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp. vanilla, and a 1/2 cup of walnuts. I am not sure how they will turn out but they looked really good when I put them in the oven. I will let you know how they work.

Thanks again for sharing your variation in the recipe!
Sufie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7479

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review