All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are these recipes safe?
      #296120 - 01/11/07 02:34 PM
Nichole

Reged: 01/11/07

Hi everyone!

While I've been visiting this site periodically for about 7 years, I'm new to posting on the message boards. After being seemingly cure for the past year, my IBS has now flared up big time and I'm back to eating Heather's diet. It has really helped to stabilize me for the most part, although gas can still really be an issue.

Anyway, I found these two recipes in Family Circle and they look safe to me but wanted to check with you all before I tried them.

Beef Ragu with Beans (the recipe is for a double batch to allow for freezing half)

2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
onion and celery which I'd omit b/c of preference
4 cloves garlic
2 lbs ground beef (I'd use extra lean turkey)
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cups beef broth (I'd use chicken or veggie)
3 TBLS tomato paste
2 teas sugar
1 can cannelli beans
dried Italian seasoning
salt

Cook in slow cooker and serve over rigatoni

The second one is for Chicken Tagine.

8 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces(I'd use breasts)
4 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots coarsely chopped
2 cups chicken broth
2 tbls tomato paste
2 tbls flour
2 teas garlic salt
1 1/2 teas cumin
1 1/2 teas ground ginger
1 teas cinnamon
1/4 teas pepper
2 cups couscous, cooked

You cook it all in the slow cooker and serve over cous cous.

Do these sound pretty safe?

TIA!
Nichole

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are these recipes safe? new
      #296128 - 01/11/07 02:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Wow, that tagine sounds delicious!

With the modifications you mention, they should be safe... BUT... the first one, the ragu, might be a little high in insoluble fiber for you if you've been having a bad flareup recently - I'm just thinking about the tomatoes and the beans, which can be problematic for some people. But the recipe itself falls within IBS diet guidelines and yes, it's safe.

#296155 - 01/11/07 03:58 PM
Nichole

Thanks for the quick answer! I'm thinking the beans will be okay as they don't seem to be a trigger for me and I eat them a lot. I'll probably just not have as much sauce and have more pasta.

Another question. I've been following the diet since Christmas and have been doing really well. The other night I made a recipe I found on this site for a chicken and rice dish. I decided I'd try brown rice as I'm usually kind of a health nut and big on whole grains so this eating white bread/rice/pasta has been hard for me. I did the brown rice and it didn't get cooked all the way through so was still slightly crunchy. About 4 hours later I had to worst pain I've ever had from IBS. I almost passed out it hurt so bad. Had lots of diarrhea and the pain lasted about an hour and a half and was still there a little bit the next morning.

Those of you more experienced with this, do you think it was the undercooked brown rice or just an IBS fluke thing? I was wanting to try adding things to my diet as regular yogurt is usually okay, as well as some other common trigger foods, but after experiencing that pain I'm now afraid to veer off the diet at all.

#296163 - 01/11/07 04:09 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What else was in the rice dish? Brown rice, whether it's cooked all the way or not, is IF. So unless you had something else in the rice dish that was SF, I'm not surprised you were in pain!

Steer clear of the yogurt - or else try soy yogurt (make SURE it's dairy-free); it's really good!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#296197 - 01/11/07 06:11 PM
Nichole

Just green beans, almonds, and had it with chicken. Bad me. I definately learned my lesson.

I don't tolerate soy very well so I can't have too much of that. I stick to rice cheese and milk.
Thanks for the help! I was quite sad when I had to go back to eating this diet but I'm finding so many good sounding things to try and have been really pleased with several recipes we've had.

#296206 - 01/11/07 07:23 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It sounds like you had too much IF and the undercooked brown rice probably didn't help. That's happened to me too! Now I usually make both brown and white rice and then have equal amounts of both. This seems to be a safe of getting in some whole grains for me.

Re: Are these recipes safe? Lisa Marie new
      #296264 - 01/12/07 09:31 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

You pointed something out thatn I was unaware of - Brwn rice is IF? I thought rice was rice? I have been using alot of brown rice and this maybe giving me pain? Goodidea to mix brown and white - I hate not using whole grains. What about brownrice pasta - it is so mushy = it must be okay vs. white pasta choice? I use the rice pasta with no ricebran in it. Thanks.Debbie

Re: Are these recipes safe? Lisa Marie new
      #296802 - 01/16/07 10:07 AM
Lisa Marie

Yup, pretty sure brown rice is IF. I'm still not good with whole grains, so I pretty much avoid them, unfortunately. I'd be careful with the brown rice pasta, too.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#296806 - 01/16/07 10:10 AM
Lisa Marie

Quote:

I don't tolerate soy very well so I can't have too much of that. I stick to rice cheese and milk.

Am I misunderstanding you? You don't really drink milk, do you? And rice cheese is usually not safe. It typically contains casein, which is a milk protein. I used to eat a rice cheese that I later found out contained casein. That explained the horrible cramps and gas that followed whenever I ate it. Read the labels carefully!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Are these recipes safe? DEBBIE new
      #296827 - 01/16/07 11:48 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Brown rice has both SF and IF. It's the bran (the brown part) that contains the IF. White rice has had the bran removed, which means the IF has been removed as well. Again, I recommend mixing brown and white rice if you want the benefits of whole grains but a higher SF content.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 430 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5924

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review