All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Question about Gravey...
      #287886 - 10/25/06 11:48 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Is it possible to have a somewhat safe gravey without actually making a turkey/chicken/roast ect? One of the things I used to love making was swedish meatballs with rice and gravey.. Meat balls can be made safe, rice is great, now just the gravey aspect...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Gravey... new
      #287913 - 10/25/06 03:25 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Well, chicken broth with flour to thicken it is kind of gravy. It just doesn't have that great mouth feel and flavor you get from all the pan drippings. You'd have to do the math, but you could probably use a little oil or safe margarine to brown the flour then add the chicken broth.

Would you oven bake your Swedish meatballs?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#287917 - 10/25/06 03:55 PM
Dajara

That is the only way I know how to make them.. I don't think there would be that much flavor from them though... I don't know..

#287996 - 10/26/06 08:17 AM
Sand

So how did you make the meatballs and gravy pre-IBS? Maybe we can work backwards from there.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#288006 - 10/26/06 09:39 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

You could also try a powdered mix. I've never personally used them, but you might be able to find one that is safe. I'm sure you could find one without dairy or beef products, but it might be tricky to find one without MSG.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Hain Vegan Gravy Mix new
      #288038 - 10/26/06 12:16 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I've used these before and they are really good... Shane liked them too... you could use this as a base and add more stuff to it to get the flavor your looking for.... great on rice, noodles, potatoes...etc....

Just add hot water to this mix for rich, dairy-free gravy. Makes 1 cup. Brown or Chicken Flavor. 0.7 oz packet

Chicken Flavor Gravy Ingredients: Corn starch (non-GMO), Autolyzed yeast extract, natural vegan flavor, dehydrated cane juice, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, rice flour, spices, malted barley extract (coloring), spice extractives, extractives of turmeric (coloring)

Brown Gravy Mix Ingredients: Unbleached white flour, corn starch (non-GMO), Autolyzed yeast extract, sea salt, molasses powder (molasses, wheat starch, soy flour), onion powder, garlic powder, spices

Chicken Flavored Gravy Nutritional information:
Serving size - 2 teaspoons dry mix
Servings per packet - about 4
Calories per serving - 25
Total fat - 0g
Sodium - 360mg
Total carbohydrate - 6g (0g dietary fiber, less than 1g sugar)
Protein - less than 1g

Brown Gravy Nutritional information:
Serving size - 2 teaspoons dry mix
Servings per packet - about 4
Calories per serving - 15
Total fat - 0g
Sodium - 270mg
Total carbohydrate - 3g (0g dietary fiber, less than 1g sugar)
Protein - less than 1g

Hain Vegan Gravy Mix

I'm able to find this at my local grocery stores, but others might have a hard time getting... I think I've seen them at whole foods too... if all else fails, you can order them online.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#288068 - 10/26/06 02:10 PM
Dajara

I used to make a roast beef say, sunday for supper, then i would have left over gravy for durring the week (say, monday or tuesday) make up some meat balls in the oven, done deal. OR I used to take a can of beef broth (campbells) and then something called Gravee Mix which would inhance the flavor and cause it to thicken.. however if I put too much it, it was more like beef flavored jello than anything else (it was kinda icky haha)

#288087 - 10/26/06 05:12 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

There are wonderful chicken stocks that come in quart boxes - some are fat free, organic and without msg. If you have a Trader Joe's they carry them, but they might even be available in the market. If you can tolerate some fat, you can make a roux with the fat and flour (melt the fat and let the flour cook in it a minute or so) then add the broth. You can spike up the flavor with a little wine, some herbs and also by simmering your baked meatballs in it. I just made the WW Chicken 'n' Biscuit recipe on the board and the gravy was awesome. I used a bit more fat than called for (2 TBS) and 2 cups of stock and 1/2 cup white wine.

Another idea for yummy drippings. Roast a chicken. You can eat the skinless breast and feed hubby, the neighbor or the dogs, the dark meat. The drippings, defatted, should be wonderful. Use the boxed stock, white wine, a combo or even just some water to get them up, refrigerate so the fat comes to the top and is easy to remove. Then thicken the gravy either with the roux method or cornstarch. The roux method produces the best flavor and texture, I think.

Re: Hain Vegan Gravy Mix new
      #288091 - 10/26/06 05:16 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

What is autolyzed yeast extract? I've also been told to be wary of natural flavor in a product. My son is very sensitive to MSG and so many things masquerade as it.

#288108 - 10/26/06 06:43 PM
Sand

Well, you could try Shell's gravy mix or you could try this:

Make your meatball mix. Shape into meatballs but reserve 1-2 meatballs worth. Put Jen's 1 Tablespoon of oil in a non-stick skillet and brown the reserved meatball mix in it. Sprinkle in your flour and let cook for a minute. Then stir in mushroom stock if you can find it otherwise chicken stock. Let cook until it thickens. See how it tastes.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review