All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tomato and Bean 15-minute Soup (Rachel Ray)
      #287472 - 10/22/06 01:15 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I got this recipe from 365: No Repeats by Rachel Ray copyright 2005. I also found the same recipe but with different beans on the Food Network Website.

It took me more than 15 minutes to make this - I'm a slow chopper - but it was simple and pretty quick and delicious. I can't find 10-ounce boxes of frozen vegetables - only 9-ounce ones - so I used those and threw in an extra zucchini.

My Mom's 15-Minute Tomato and Bean Stoup

A stoup is thicker than soup and thinner than stew. I called my mom one rainy day from the road. I was getting a cold and I really wanted soup for supper. She said she didn't know what she had on hand to make it with, but she'd come up with something. This was it. (Oh, you don't have to be sick to enjoy it.)

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan {I reduced to 4 teaspoons}
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes {I reduced to a scant 1/4 teaspoon and that was more than enough}
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 small zucchini, sliced {I used 2}
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomato
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (10-ounce) box frozen yellow beans OR 1 (15-ounce) can small white beans or cannellini beans {I used 1 (9-ounce) box frozen lima beans}
1 (10 ounces) box, cut frozen green beans {I used frozen Italian green beans}
Salt and pepper
1 cup fresh basil, torn or shredded {I used this but I tasted the stoup before I added it and the stoup is yummy even without it}
Grated Parmigiano or Romano, to pass at table {I skipped this but Joe tried it and really liked it; you could use soy-based}
Crusty bread, to pass at the table {This is a must both for flavor and to add more SF for all those IF veggies}

Add the EVOO to a soup pot over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and stir.
Then stir in the onions, carrots, celery and zucchini.
Cook for 10 minutes, then add in the stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans.
Bring the stoup up to a bubble and season with salt and pepper.
Simmer for 5 minutes. {I cooked it a little longer. The vegetables were done but still firm-crisp.}
Turn off the heat and wilt the basil into the soup.
Ladle up the soup and serve with the grated cheese and the crusty bread.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tomato and Bean 15-minute Soup (Rachel Ray) new
      #287483 - 10/22/06 04:49 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yum-O..... this sounds so good!! I have that cookbook too... (Shane's Mom got it for me last Christmas)...funny..it's almost been 365 days since I got it...I have not cooked even 1 days worth...LOL

I will have to try this one....I'm with you.. I would cook it much longer and let the veggies get really done!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Tomato and Bean 15-minute Soup (Rachel Ray) new
      #287637 - 10/23/06 07:17 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I love Rachel Ray and have a couple of her cookbooks. It's not quite soup weather in sunny socal, but hope it will be soon.

Sand ... this is good. new
      #287945 - 10/25/06 07:19 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I had the day off and it has started to snow, again. I made this today for my wife and mother-in-law. They loved it ... me too! Thank you for posting the recipe.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm so glad you liked it. And it's just as good the next day. -nt- new
      #287990 - 10/26/06 08:08 AM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sand ... thanks again for the recipe. new
      #294700 - 12/27/06 01:46 PM
Double J

We really like this recipe!

I have been adding mushrooms and a can of mild green chili's, and making two different pots at the same time. One with just a touch of red pepper flakes (1/4 tsp) for my wife, and the other with 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and a small diced jalapeno pepper. Hot enough to get my lips tingling and not bother my stomach if I am careful and have some safe bread with it and before hand. Peppermint tea goes well with it, also.

... mmmmm good on a cold Wyoming day! And just like Wyoming … it freezes well.

I have to be careful ... I am really walking on the edge (stomach wise), but it's been a long time since my lips have tingled and I lived to enjoy it.

Thanks.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Sand ... thanks again for the recipe. new
      #294703 - 12/27/06 01:53 PM
Sand

You're very welcome. I'm so glad you're enjoying this. I have to admit I prefer it toned down - I've reduced the red pepper flakes to 1/8 teaspoon - but if tingly lips are your thing, more power to you!

I've made this several times with various permutations:
fresh basil, dried basil, no basil
with zucchini and without
Italian greens beans, regular greens beans, lima beans, white beans
with and without carrots

I'm thinking about branching out into corn and/or peas and/or okra. I think that as long as I stick with the onion, garlic, chicken broth, and some tomatoes/tomato sauce as the backbone of the soup, I can probably throw in almost any vegetable.

It's good to know it will freeze well (both the soup and Wyoming ). I haven't tried that yet.

I hope you and your wife have a happy, healthy New Year!

--------------------

Which kind of beans did you add? new
      #297498 - 01/21/07 08:55 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

the lima beans, as Sand did?

And can I use chicken broth instead of chicken stock?

I couldn't find boxed italian green beans...could I use part of the bagged?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Double J...you out there?-nt new
      #297563 - 01/21/07 06:50 PM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: Double J...you out there?-nt new
      #297564 - 01/21/07 07:00 PM
Double J

I use a can of S&W white beans, and use both chicken and vegetable broth. I split a frozen bag of beans.

This recipe has become a staple in my food items for work. It freezes so really well.

HTH

And Sand, thanks again for posting this recipe. I really like it.

--------------------

Edited by Double J (01/27/07 07:04 PM)

#297566 - 01/21/07 07:03 PM
Jordy

Thanks! But what is S&W beans? And did you use cut green beans or the italian?

You used broth and not stock? That would help so much if broth works as well as stock!

Thanks!

--------------------

#297567 - 01/21/07 07:13 PM
Double J

I used broth only. And sorry, S&W White Beans. It's just a brand of beans that I buy on sale. I have used all different styles of frozen green beans, and like the Italian cut best.

--------------------

Thanks and... new
      #298298 - 01/27/07 06:43 PM
Jordy

Do you know about how many servings of soup this makes?

--------------------

Re: Thanks and... new
      #298303 - 01/27/07 07:10 PM
Double J

No ... not exactly. I double the recipe that Sand first posted and freeze it in six 20 ounce covered bowls for work, and the rest gets frozen in a larger bowl until it is used. But as I posted earlier ... it freezes well, just like Wyoming.

--------------------

Do you puree this? new
      #299347 - 02/08/07 12:40 PM
Jordy

I made some and had a really hard time afterwards. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not. This is the first time I didn't puree my veggies.

I did have a good BM the next day, though!

I got about 6 servings....which may have been too few to divide it up by.

--------------------

Re: Do you puree this? new
      #299681 - 02/12/07 07:53 PM
Double J

I do not, but I do make the vegetables nice and soft.

--------------------

More freezer clearance new
      #302187 - 03/13/07 11:52 AM
Sand

I made this soup again but I didn't have zucchini, raw carrots, or celery so I sauteed the garlic, red pepper flakes, and onion as directed then added the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. I then added a can of white beans (drained and rinsed), a palmful of dried basil, and some salt and pepper.

Once that was bubbling merrily I tossed in all the little odds and end of frozen veggies that were wasting away in the back of my freezer: green beans, frozen carrots, lots of peas, lot of corn. I then simmered it for at least 15 minutes. It was delicious - tasted really different.

I almost added a box of okra but I was afraid it would cook to sliminess - maybe next time.

--------------------

Re: More freezer clearance new
      #302433 - 03/16/07 08:20 PM
Double J

This is an excellent recipe and I too enjoy experimenting with it. It has really become a staple for me at work, and my crew loves it.

--------------------

No tomatoes new
      #308557 - 06/04/07 06:27 PM
Sand

Joe has made this a LOT while I've been out of commission. Recently he's been making it without the canned tomatoes (although still using the tomato sauce). He adds an extra cup of chicken broth and an extra cup of veggies (frozen mixed usually) to make up with bulk. It's really good this way and would probably be a little easier to handle for anyone who has trouble with tomatoes.

--------------------

Sand ... made this again... it's still the best!!! - nt - new
      #350716 - 10/10/09 08:36 AM
Double J

--------------------

Double J new
      #351837 - 11/09/09 08:30 AM
Sand

It's good to hear from you and I'm so glad you're still enjoying this. We're going to make it today - I have what I'm afraid is the start of a terrible cold. I'm sure this will be an instant cure.

--------------------

Sounds wonderful! new
      #352041 - 11/12/09 07:01 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

This sounds wonderful for a cold rainy day, like it is here today in 'not-so-sunny' California. I absolutely love soups and stews any time of the year.

A bay leaf or a pinch or two of mixed Italian seasoning might also be good in this recipe. I happen to presently have part of a cooked chicken breast in the frig, and I will add that cut into pieces just before I turn the stove off.

What a great way to use leftovers and clean out the frig at the same time!

Thanks a bunch.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28290

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review