All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Cinnamon "Fried" Chicken
      #284747 - 10/01/06 10:30 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I found this recipe on a Japanese cooking site - it calls for fried chicken (floured lightly and then either deep-fried or pan-fried), but I think it would be really tasty using grilled chicken breast. I'm going to test this theory tonight , but in the meantime, here's the sauce and general directions:

1 lb cooked chicken breast - cut into thin fillets or tenders, season w/ salt & pepper, then grill, broil, or bake - don't overcook!

3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 red chili pepper, deseeded and minced
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp sake or dry sherry - if you really don't have either, use apple juice or weak broth

Chopped chives for garnish

Combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Once it's at a full boil, remove from heat.

Dip the cooked chicken into the hot sauce, coating well. Place on a serving plate, and sprinkle generously with chopped chives.

Serves 4.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cinnamon "Fried" Chicken new
      #284900 - 10/02/06 01:02 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

This sounds SO good! But can I sub red chili powder for the pepper? I'm not fond of using fresh hot peppers.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Awesome!! new
      #284928 - 10/02/06 04:34 PM
littlelani

This was SOOO delicious! My BF loved it! I used the red chili powder, not sure how much, just a sprinkle. The sauce was very thin & runny, but it was still really good! I poured a little bit of the sauce in a separate bowl, dipped the chicken breasts in it, then sauted them. Then I poured the remaining sauce over the chicken & some rice. Next time I'm either going to add some honey to thicken it or just give in & use the peppers. Thanks for the recipe!

--------------------

Edited by littlelani (10/02/06 04:35 PM)

Woohoo! new
      #284947 - 10/02/06 06:39 PM
atomic rose

I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier - I've been sick all day, and the last thing I wanted to think about was food. All I was going to tell you is that red chili powder would be fine, and to just start with a sprinkle and add more to taste. You did that anyway.

Thickening it would be super-easy - a little bit of cornstarch, maybe a teaspoon, stirred into the sake/broth/whatever, should do the trick. I'm not sure honey will thicken it much until it cools back down, but I bet it would sure be tasty!

Re: Awesome!! new
      #285046 - 10/03/06 11:53 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

What did you use for the sake, sherry, broth? I'm going to have to try this. It sounds delicious.

#285076 - 10/03/06 03:07 PM
littlelani

I didn't have any sherry, and I'm afraid of sake (loooong story), so I used apple juice. It was REALLY good! My very picky BF says this recipe is a "keeper"!

--------------------

Does this actually taste like cinnamon? new
      #285083 - 10/03/06 04:25 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm not a very adventurous eater ... to me, cinnamon should go into yeasty bready things, not chicken. So what exactly does this taste like?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#285096 - 10/03/06 05:49 PM
chupie

Oo. I have some local apple cider in the fridge. I bet taht would be good.

Re: Does this actually taste like cinnamon? new
      #285097 - 10/03/06 05:50 PM
chupie

It looks really simple and you just dip the chicken in it, so this is a perfect recipe to sample as a test. YOu can always pulls out some other thing to dip it in if you don't like it. You should try it!

OMG this is GOOD! new
      #285099 - 10/03/06 06:00 PM
atomic rose

OH so GOOD! Adam's only just gotten his, and he's already told me twice how good it is. I gobbled mine down a while ago.

I used water instead of the sake/sherry. The soy sauce we have is really strong, so I had a hunch it would still have plenty of flavor, and I was right about that.

I used 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper instead of the chili.

I thickened it with 1 tsp cornstarch in an additional 2 tbsp or so of water, and it thickened up perfectly.

I just used leftover chicken. Cut it up into pieces, heated it right up in the sauce, after the sauce came to a boil. Perfect use for leftovers - the meat stayed nice and tender.

We had it over jasmine rice - have I mentioned it's SO GOOD?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15185

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review