All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
recipes moderated
      #281689 - 09/11/06 04:57 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hello, I am new to this site - are these recipes moderated by Heather to make sure that they are IBS friendly or how do we know? There was a cheesecake one that had tons of fat in in and 4 eggs? thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: recipes moderated new
      #281692 - 09/11/06 05:01 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hello,
each person has their own tollerance levels, and triggers (ain't IBS great!) so some recipes should be approached with caution.

#281740 - 09/12/06 07:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Can you point me to this recipe? I did a quick Search and couldn't find it.

As Gracie says, tolerances differ. However, the recipes on the Board are supposed to follow the EFI Guidelines. You shouldn't find one with trigger foods - red meat, dark meat poultry, dairy, egg yolks - and the percent of calories from fat should be reasonable. The last requirement (percent of CFF) is not always adhered to as strictly as the others. For desserts, that's generally accepted - the idea is to eat a little of the dessert after a low-fat, high Soluble Fiber main part of the meal, so the total percent of CFF for the whole meal/whole day stays no higher than 25%.

I have, however, run across at least one recipe for a main dish where the percent of CFF seemed awfully high. I think people sometimes post the original recipe they've found (with all the fat) and just assume those reading it will know to cut the fat.

I don't think any single person - either Heather or a moderator - is reviewing every single recipe at this point (although I could be wrong), so I believe we're self-policing. If something looks like it's too high in fat, you can always do the fat math and post that as a cautionary note. No need to be ugly about it, just something saying, "This recipe gets 35% of calories from fat. That's way too high for me." If you can figure out how to do it, it's helpful to go on to explain how the recipe could be modified to reduce the fat.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Agreed new
      #281757 - 09/12/06 08:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Recipes are not moderated, in the sense that there isn't someone who polices each one and deletes ones that don't conform. Only Heather can delete posts, and she's far too busy to read every single recipe. There are a couple of us who are "officially" moderators for the recipe boards - myself and Kree - but we don't have the power to modify or delete recipes once they're posted.

So we do trust that people who post recipes understand the IBS diet and post only recipes that conform to it, but unfortunately, that's not always the case.

When I see a recipe that isn't safe, I do try to post a comment to it indicating just that, but my time is pretty limited to, so I definitely haven't gotten to every recipe ever posted!

If you have a good understanding of the diet and what's safe for you, you'll know as soon as you see a recipe that you should probably avoid. Some recipes are easily modified, and I would suggest doing just that, when you make them yourself. Like Sand said, you could also leave a comment to the recipe, indicating that it's not safe as-is. Everyone's tolerances are different, but things that are blatantly against the IBS diet SHOULD be pointed out, so that newbies to the diet don't make it thinking it's safe to eat!

#281762 - 09/12/06 09:04 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Thank you for the information - what is the fat calculation to use. I will try and find the recipe - I was going through the website like crazy last night and probably will not be able to find it now. I am new to all of this and appreciate any help at all. Thanks.

Calculating percent of calories from fat (could use some help here) new
      #281770 - 09/12/06 09:26 AM
Sand

I always seem to confuse people terribly when I do this, so I'm going to hope someone else comes along and explains it. If no one has in a day or so, I'll give it yet another try.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Oh, and don't worry about finding the cheesecake recipe. It will turn up again, I'm sure. -nt- new
      #281771 - 09/12/06 09:26 AM
Sand

--------------------

I'll take a stab at it new
      #281776 - 09/12/06 09:44 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

There are 9 calories in 1 gram of fat. So you want to take the number of grams of fat and multiply that number by 9. Then the total number of calories into that number and divide by 100.

Here's an example:

Let's say I am eating a food that has 10g of fat and 200 calories. Multiply the number of grams (10) by 9. This gives you 90.

Then take 90/200 (number of calories). This gives you 0.45. Multiply this times 100 and you get 45%.

So this item would be high in fat.

Our goal is to keep the fat content around or below 25% per meal.

Does that help?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: I'll take a stab at it new
      #282731 - 09/17/06 08:21 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

It helped me figure it out. Thanks.

Karen

Re: I'll take a stab at it(MCV) new
      #282743 - 09/17/06 09:55 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I followed your suggestion and I have a question about it. Smart Balance Light has 5g of fat. Multiply that by 9 and you get 45. It has 45 calories. Divide 45 by 45 and you get 1. Muliply 1 by 100 and you get 100%. Does this sound right for Smart Balance Light that is suppose to be good for you to help lower your cholestorel?

Just wondering.

Karen

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review