All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Garlic Shrimp Scampi
      #279144 - 08/20/06 11:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This recipe is by Juan-Carlos Cruz from the show "Weighing In" on the Food Network. I made some changes, which I've noted in the recipe. I didn't have tomatoes so I left them out and added some chicken broth to make more sauce. I upped the garlic because I love garlic. And I didn't serve with noodles, just bread for dunking. It was yummy. web page

Garlic Shrimp Scampi
Recipe courtesy Juan-Carlos Cruz
Show: Weighing In
Episode: LMN

Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, crushed (I used 8)
2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes (I used 1/2 teaspoon and when I make it again, I'll use even less - or none at all)
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped (omitted; added 1/2 cup chicken broth)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and de-veined (I used about 3/4 pound for two people)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 (8-ounce) package soy noodles, cooked and drained (omitted; served with bread for dunking)

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chili flakes and saute for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and basil and saute for another minute. Add shrimp and saute for 2 minutes or until the shrimp is just cooked through. Add parsley, lemon juice, and lemon zest and stir until well mixed. Add the soy noodles and toss until noodles are coated with sauce. Serve immediately.

Other Recipes from this Episode
Mock Margarita
Turkey Taco Fiesta
Fennel and Herb Roasted Sea Bass

I suspect this would be great with chicken instead of the shrimp or possibly even with mushrooms instead of the shrimp if you wanted to go vegetarian.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Clearly I'm losing my mind new
      #302556 - 03/19/07 01:02 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I had completely forgotten I'd posted this and was so excited to find the recipe in my list of ones to try. Thank goodness I checked the Recipe Index before I posted it again.

Anyhow, I made it for dinner last night and this time I actually followed the recipe. I used 2 small vine-ripened tomatoes - I think the Roma (plum) would have been better but the plum tomatoes in my grocery store were pretty sad. I tried a scant teaspoon of red chili flakes and it was way too much for me. (I think my lips are still tingling, Double J, so this may be right up your alley.) I cooked the shrimp for 7 minutes rather than 2 and I served this over 8 ounces of thin spaghetti rather than soy noodles. It was excellent.

I suspect it would also be good if I left out all the lemon and parsley and used more tomatoes and basil instead.

Oh, and the 5 minutes prep time? I think that's a joke.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sand ... new
      #302566 - 03/19/07 01:55 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

It is so nice to be able to eat some tingling spicy hot food! It had been years since I have enjoyed eating and having my lips tingle. I had always assumed that it was the spices that flared up my ibs, but when I am stable and have behaved myself I can push the edge of hotness if I have some sourdough bread or white rice with my food.

My thanks to Heather for sharing what she has learned about controlling ibs, and thanks to you Sand for your many posts.

I will try the Garlic Shrimp Scampi recipe!

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 591 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review